Rayong oil spill: Toxic matter 'may enter food chain in 3 months'

webfact

But I am sure that the fish we buy at, for example Lotus, Big-C..., are safe because they will screen what they are going to sell. They are strict for that. Unless those fishes tha are sold in wet market, we are not sure of that.

Are you kidding? If it's from Rayong don't eat it.

ok, so how do we know what is from Rayong area??

Let's be specific folks. What seafood in BKK comes from Rayong area vs. the Andaman sea (if any) vs. south Thailand waters. Also supermarkets vs. restaurants / food courts.

I would ask them. If they can't prove it, don't buy it.

I wouldn't eat any in paytaya anyway. You think the water there is better than samet right now.

Edited by Thai at Heart

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing that Thais escape world wide coverage of this devastating and global scale environmental damage and risk. Given that Thai seafood is a big export it is bewildering that there is little if any coverage of high probability of Thai shrimp and tuna contamination. The US and Europe should be watching this and stop Thai imports of seafood for a year.

Thais were all ecstatic when Katrina brought New Orleans shrimping to a standstill. It was touted as a boom for Thai shrimp. Now we'll see what goes around comes around. It's a certainty that the Japanese won't be importing too much Thai shrimp for a while. The Japanese watch these contamination issues closely.

Tragic yes, Global not quite.

Actually Thailand has a very good record of oil spills in comparison.

The oil spill is Thailand’s third-largest spill, said Pakorn Prasertwong, head of environmental group at the Ministry of Transport’s Marine Department. However, even Thailand’s worst incidents – in 2002 when 240 tons and 210 tons of oil leaked into the Gulf of Thailand – are not close to the level considered major by international standard, Mr. Pakorn said.

http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2013/07/31/thai-oil-spill-feared-to-be-spreading/

50,000 liters (I think that was the reported) sounds like a lot. but in crude oil terms, its only about 300 barrels. But if any of that oil ends up on your beach, you have a monumental problem.

The spill got the press it did because some of it ended up on Somet. If it had hit some unpopulated area, it might have received a paragraph in the middle pages.

Dont get me wrong. Its bad, and will have a lasting problem in some areas. but global?

To put it into context

oil spill oil slick length of coast line affected

Somet oil slick - ~300 barrels 15sqkm <10km <- these are my estimates

exon valdez - ~500,000 barrels 28000sqkm 2100km <- wiki

BP gulf of mexico spill - ~5,000,000 barrels HUGE measured in astronomical units <- wiki, my smartazz estimates

You want to see bad? see the link below.

Even if you cook the fish thoroughly or in longer time, how about the smell

of the oil in it?

It's so obvious! You just cook your fish in a concrete kiln with exhaust scrubber!

Edited by Longtooth
  • Like 1

It's amazing that Thais escape world wide coverage of this devastating and global scale environmental damage and risk. Given that Thai seafood is a big export it is bewildering that there is little if any coverage of high probability of Thai shrimp and tuna contamination. The US and Europe should be watching this and stop Thai imports of seafood for a year.

Thais were all ecstatic when Katrina brought New Orleans shrimping to a standstill. It was touted as a boom for Thai shrimp. Now we'll see what goes around comes around. It's a certainty that the Japanese won't be importing too much Thai shrimp for a while. The Japanese watch these contamination issues closely.

The overwhelming majority of Thai shrimp exports is from farmed product. The oil incident is irrelevant to exported product.

• Like 1

The overwhelming majority of Thai shrimp exports is from farmed product. The oil incident is irrelevant to exported product.

THe entire coast of Rayong has some forms of fish industry - whether it is inshore farming or offshore fishing...rayong has a large fishing fleet and there are fish processing and fish sauce plants all along many beaches - i would be very surprised if the impact isn't felt there.......if the farms are using pumped seawater then there will be problems.....not just for the locals but for the reputation of Thai seafood in general.

Edited by wilcopops

Meanwhile, more than 200 big bags containing oil-tainted sand were taken to the Siam City Cement factory for disposal.

What are they going to do with it at the cement factory, make concrete with it?

Beach sand is no good for making concrete, too much salt in it, even without the oil.

It was reported earlier that PTT said they would burn everything at a high temperature to avoid air pollution.

Incinerate it in the kilns. Very common practice.

Burning even at high temperature produces the bi product smoke. Smoke is carbon. What do they do with that???facepalm.gif

I am guessing you have some better plan huba?

But I am sure that the fish we buy at, for example Lotus, Big-C..., are safe because they will screen what they are going to sell. They are strict for that. Unless those fishes tha are sold in wet market, we are not sure of that.

Let's be specific folks. What seafood in BKK comes from Rayong area vs. the Andaman sea (if any) vs. south Thailand waters. Also supermarkets vs. restaurants / food courts.

I wouldn't eat any in paytaya anyway. You think the water there is better than samet right now.

I live overlooking the section of water between Maptaphut and Samet and sod all fishing goes on between those areas apart from local 1 man fishing boats (pieces of wood somehow staying together) and the squid boats out on the horizon, yes there are fishing boats but here it seems it's squid if you look out to sea at night. The area is polluted from various previous chemical spills although the water was reasonable till 'lately' with a fair amount of small fish life close inshore. I heard this evening that crabs are now smelling of oil when pulled apart so don't eat the local papaya salad with salted crab for a while. There isn't that much fish left here, it's been overfished almost into extinction similar to the North Sea in Europe.

Good luck - I wouldn't bet on it.

The potential of this disaster to claim ill health and lives of many People needs the assistance of the World Health Organisation for some time to come.

It's quite apparent that Thailand has neither the resources, the discipline and will to manage the situation in the Months ahead. The expected contamination will not be confined to Rayong Province, simply because the Fisheries Industry will continue to sell its catches to other parts of the Gulf including Bangkok and beyond. Simple batch testing for contamination will not be sufficient. It has to be 100% and only the WHO with its independence and professionalism will be in a position to manage and monitor the project.

In the interests of the People of Thailand and Visitors It's time for the Thai Government and its agencies to step aside.

I live overlooking the section of water between Maptaphut and Samet and sod all fishing goes on between those areas apart from local 1 man fishing boats (pieces of wood somehow staying together) and the squid boats out on the horizon, yes there are fishing boats but here it seems it's squid if you look out to sea at night. The area is polluted from various previous chemical spills although the water was reasonable till 'lately' with a fair amount of small fish life close inshore. I heard this evening that crabs are now smelling of oil when pulled apart so don't eat the local papaya salad with salted crab for a while. There isn't that much fish left here, it's been overfished almost into extinction similar to the North Sea in Europe.

What about the port in Rayong? That is between maptaput and samet. Never forensically studied where they fish but it's all around there. Don't y they have huge fish sauce production in klaeng?

All sad. But as you say it's been fished to death, and also that the water there was horrendous anyway

Edited by Thai at Heart

As another Thai expert said in another topic "You Smell it before eating" thumbsup.gif

Edited by chooka

Don't they pump sea water into these farms?

Do they still export prawns? I know Australia banned the importing of Thai farmed shrimp because of all the pollutants and contamination

Only in Thailand could they ever think that Lead, Cadmium and Nickel can be cooked at high

temperature to stop them being toxic. But if you tell the people......????????????

and of course how about the benzine (cancer causing) and mercury (if oil is regionally produced), plus a whole host of other nasties....

I am not one to scaremonger, but I would be staying well away from any local sea food for the time being

Only in Thailand could they ever think that Lead, Cadmium and Nickel can be cooked at high

temperature to stop them being toxic. But if you tell the people......????????????

Just wash the fish dry, cook it, eat it, and hope you don't die,... mai pen rai,... if you do die,.... mai pen rai, no one cares,....giggle.gifgiggle.gif

Don't they pump sea water into these farms?

Either that, or they buy and use bottled seawater!

UPDATE:

According to a taxi driver, who served in the Royal Thai Navy and speaks perfect English(!), the seafood in BKK comes from south Thailand. He said for BKK seafood, nothing to worry about.

However, for Chonburi and Pattaya, he said a big part of the seafood comes from Rayong area.

Now you know (at least a little more than you did yesterday).

UPDATE:

According to a taxi driver, who served in the Royal Thai Navy and speaks perfect English(!), the seafood in BKK comes from south Thailand. He said for BKK seafood, nothing to worry about.

However, for Chonburi and Pattaya, he said a big part of the seafood comes from Rayong area.

Now you know (at least a little more than you did yesterday).

Now we know what a taxidriver is REPORTED to have said to a TV member...............