UK I Phone

jameslochfyne

depends on what version of the iPhone...the newer the version, the more expensive and more time consuming to get unlocked.

I have unlocked several iphones 3gs and 4, just following directions found online...never a problem with any of them...not saying it was EASY...

but if you are comfortable with computers and can follow instructions exactly... it works!

and for when you have problems...youtube will get you sorted out...

• Like 1

i had my iphone 3gs unlocked for 500 baht at kad sean keaw, was quoted 1500 at one place, but with about twenty phone shops crammed into a small space easy to shop around and get a better deal, although as other posters have mentioned newer phone may be more expensive to unlock

Pantip Plaza in the centre of town has many electronic / phone shops which will unlock.  Your phone will be usable after that.

Allanriverclyde

Agree with that. Friend of mine tried to get her iphone unlocked and it was very effectively bricked!

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Pantip Plaza in the centre of town has many electronic / phone shops which will unlock. Your phone will be usable after that.

Allanriverclyde

Agree with that. Friend of mine tried to get her iphone unlocked and it was very effectively bricked!

not quite sure what you are saying, ed... if you friend's phone did get bricked, more often than not, that can be fixed.

believe me, i bricked several phones, iphones and androids and each time, with perseverance and youtube, i have gotten them

back to working condition and went on to unlock and update them...

I have taken iphones into panthip/central airport and been told ... no can unlock... cuz of some numbers that they see in the settings...

i go home and research the issue and have been able to get where i wanted to go each time...

it is like they say: if you don't get the answer you want, hang up, call back, until you DO get the answer you want (of course, that might not work in thailand! hahahaha)

Please be extra careful with iPhone unlock. Perhaps telling your telco to unlock your iPhone for you is safer, easier and possibly even cheaper?

I did this with EE earlier when I signed their contract. As soon as the contract is signed, they are obliged to unlock your device upon request since I cannot really break out from their contracts without paying early termination fees anyway so they don't really care. Give them a call, saying that you travel a lot outside the UK. They will tell Apple and it wouldn't take more than 48 hours before Apple unlocks your phone (then you have to connect your phone with iTunes once more to proceed with the unlock).

iPhones sold in Thailand now no longer requires unlock because they all come unlocked. Local shops usually can unlock iPhones up to the iPhone 4 due to quite a large number of them were gray market imports. Any newer, I am not certain. Not even sure if it is possible for the iPhone 5.

Edited by infernalman7

Pantip Plaza in the centre of town has many electronic / phone shops which will unlock.  Your phone will be usable after that.

Allanriverclyde

not quite sure what you are saying, ed... if you friend's phone did get bricked, more often than not, that can be fixed.

believe me, i bricked several phones, iphones and androids and each time, with perseverance and youtube, i have gotten them

back to working condition and went on to unlock and update them...

I have taken iphones into panthip/central airport and been told ... no can unlock... cuz of some numbers that they see in the settings...

i go home and research the issue and have been able to get where i wanted to go each time...

it is like they say: if you don't get the answer you want, hang up, call back, until you DO get the answer you want (of course, that might not work in thailand! hahahaha)

After the unlock my friends iphone was totally unusable. The shop did try but got nowhere attempting to get it working so eventually handed it back. My friend needed her phone asap so went to another shop who told her she needed a 'new board'. That was fitted and phone was operational again. What the new board came with though was a whole gallery of personal pics so was not the new one she thought she got.

And the moral is.........who knows but I probably wouldn't go to a tiny shop to get an expensive phone unlocked.

Here's a funny ending too. Three days later she went on a river trip and dropped the bloody thing overboard never to be seen again!!!!

You will need to differentiate. D you want your phone to be unlocked or jail broken or both? All iPhone with software 6.1.3 or later cannot be jail broken and unlocked. There are some sites on the Internet which are claiming to be able to do it but according to the jailbreak community this is not possible. The jailbreak and unlock for phones with software 6.1.2 or lower is free and can be found in the Internet. It is very easy to use.

I do all jailbreaks by myself and have done as well the unlock. Let me know if you or anyone else would like to have the software or a guideline how to do it. More than happy to assist via pm. I will not post the instructions here as it will void your warranty.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'd pick Central Airport Plaza actually. Top floor, newest wing.

3rd floor I think?

Top floor is mainly food?

Ah yes, you're right. Third floor.

In the area with all the little mobile shops.

They can do it while you catch a movie on the fourth floor.

What is the advantage in buying a locked phone. I have heard of people trying and doing it when they want them unlocked but I have never heard of any one trying to lock there's.

Edited by hellodolly