is laos getting stricter or could i just not make staff understand

first off all i should point out that im not a back to back visa runner, i generally spend about 6 months a year in my second home in Goa, India. last year though spent a little less time there as someone wanted to rent my place long term so it basically left me in thailand for a longer period.

I am also to young to get a retirement visa, 4 more years to go. that will make life much easier.

Now when i left india, i got a double entry 4 month visa, (60 days per entry), after looking at my options i decided not to bother doing 30 day extensions as it would still not take me to the day when i leave for india again, so though it would be better just to go to laos and get a double entry visa.

well ive just returned, to my horror they would only grant me a single entry, the staff told me i already had to many laos visa s, (this being 2 previous from a number of years ago), i tried to explain that i had a ten year passport and infact this was the first double entry visa i was looking for since traveling internationally to India. My comments just seem to infuriate her and she close my passport and said one entry or nothing.

so firstly am i right in believing i should of been granted a double entry visa, Has anybody else had any problems there. I have heard of people getting 4 or 5 double entries back to back, and then just renewing there passport and doing the same again. Also what option does that leave me in 60 days as i dont fly back to Goa until the 18th november, hence needing another 2 months.

They can set what rule they wish and it can change when they wish. What they seem to look for at present is the number of visas to Thailand - up to five entries (not visas) normally being allowed. You can likely obtain another at Phnom Penh for more time.

• Like 2

If I were you I would look at other countries to spend time in as this seems to be the kind of thinking from some embassies. I can understand the back to back but they just apply it to any entries regardless of how long ago. It is not going to get better. I love Thailand but I always keep in mind that I and a lot of other people who had legally made their homes there were thrown out in 1985 following the assasination. If I were looking for a new home it may not be here.

"...I and a lot of other people who had legally made their homes there were thrown out in 1985 following the assasination."

That certainly sounds interesting. Got a link to any info about that?

I do not need a link I was one of them.

Prior to that date people of many Commonwealth Countries had the right to reisde permanently in India though there were some restrictions regarding work.

A few months after Mrs Ghandi was shot all foreigners had to go to the Foreign Affairs department and were given a stamp for one year. I was told by my local immigration police that it would be renewed each year. At the end of the year I and all foreigners that I know were served papers telling us to leave the country within a month.

Subsequently we were told that after 6 months we could apply again in our home country for a visa.

Same thing can happen here. I lost a lot through that episode as I had invested in making a life for me there, I am a lot more careful now though there are times the Niligiri Hills are appealing.

• Like 1

"...I and a lot of other people who had legally made their homes there were thrown out in 1985 following the assasination."

Prior to that date people of many Commonwealth Countries had the right to reisde permanently in India though there were some restrictions regarding work.

A few months after Mrs Ghandi was shot all foreigners had to go to the Foreign Affairs department and were given a stamp for one year. I was told by my local immigration police that it would be renewed each year. At the end of the year I and all foreigners that I know were served papers telling us to leave the country within a month.

Subsequently we were told that after 6 months we could apply again in our home country for a visa.

Same thing can happen here. I lost a lot through that episode as I had invested in making a life for me there, I am a lot more careful now though there are times the Niligiri Hills are appealing.

The wording of your original post made it seem to me (and I suspect others including mahjongguy) as if you were referring to some incident in Thailand of which I was unaware. Sorry to hear of your experience in India though it doesn't surprise me. I can certainly appreciate your point that it could happen here and agree we should all be cautious but I think there is a different dynamic at play given both the history (colonial in-particular) of the two countries and the era (cold war).

• Like 1

The wording of your original post made it seem to me (and I suspect others including mahjongguy) as if you were referring to some incident in Thailand of which I was unaware. Sorry to hear of your experience in India though it doesn't surprise me. I can certainly appreciate your point that it could happen here and agree we should all be cautious but I think there is a different dynamic at play given both the history (colonial in-particular) of the two countries and the era (cold war).

I am sorry. I agree. I had more wording in the post saying that this was in India but it seems to have got deleted. I have been having this trouble a bit with this editor where apparently a touch of a key can cause deletion.

From the OP:

...well ive just returned, to my horror they would only grant me a single entry, the staff told me i already had to many laos visa s, (this being 2 previous from a number of years ago), i tried to explain that i had a ten year passport and infact this was the first double entry visa i was looking for since traveling internationally to India. My comments just seem to infuriate her and she close my passport and said one entry or nothing...

On the visa application form, an address in what country did you put in the fields "Current Address" and "Permanent Address(if different from above)"

Was this at the embassy in Vientiane or the consulate in Savannakhet?

. I was at the embassy in vientianne

They can be buggers. Just there again for a new Non B. They said the directors signature is longer in writing on one document than another, will not do. I have been refused Non B's 3x for such reasons. (no signed photo copy of directors I. D. and signature). and then the (signatures look different)

So I said ok give me a single entry tourist visa to give me time to have the docs resigned.

The young lady said "Why don't you take a doube entry tourist visa."

Why would I need a double I just need some papers signed... No rhyme or reason....

sorry to hear about that Harry

makes me wonder if someone shot Thaksin we would all be turfed out

From the OP:

...well ive just returned, to my horror they would only grant me a single entry, the staff told me i already had to many laos visa s, (this being 2 previous from a number of years ago), i tried to explain that i had a ten year passport and infact this was the first double entry visa i was looking for since traveling internationally to India. My comments just seem to infuriate her and she close my passport and said one entry or nothing...

On the visa application form, an address in what country did you put in the fields "Current Address" and "Permanent Address(if different from above)"

for my permanent address i actually put my address back in the u.k. even though i never visit anymore, this is always what ive done in the past.

"put my address back in the u.k. even though i never visit anymore"

Suspect that the Laos Consul has sussed the person to not be a tourist but rather someone attempting to live long term in Thailand on the back of serial tourist visas

How did you dress?

Seriously. The way you look smell and dress has a lot to do with acceptance still in the region.

Straight from the horses mouth, minutes before I read this, my Thai wife told me considering the issue of denial of visa could be directly related to appearance.

On my second entry at airport came close to a no go when the immigration officer questioned my appearance with long hair- a photo taken secretly on the departure of my first visit. Took him about 10 minutes to make up his mind and then said ok go ahead.

phew~

How did you dress?

Seriously. The way you look smell and dress has a lot to do with acceptance still in the region.

How you dress has a lot to do with acceptance all over the world. For example, you wouldn't show up to court in Canada wearing flip-flops and a wife beater. I'll agree though, it does seem to mean more in SE Asia though.

I don't know, I have a passport full of Thai visas, and never had an issue.