Any recommendations for shipping personal things to Thailand

NovaBlue05

We plan to move within a year from Washington, DC area. My wife is Thai and we have married for ten years and have accumulated "stuff" that we will mostly sell off. We have some things like porcelain and display dishes that we want to bring. I also have 2 used (less than 5 years) 37" HD Flat screens and my computer equipment. All in all maybe 3 cubic m of boxed stuff. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a carrier who could handle customs clearance in BKK and transfer to Udon Thani with a minimum of Thai Customs interference

I don't know for sure about this, but from various posts I've read here, Thai customs will tax the living daylights out of anything and everything you bring in.

I will be coming over with my wife later this year to look at possibilities for a business I have in mind, and we may well move in a couple of years. However, if my investigations show that the Thai government want to tax the sh*t out of everything I ship, then I will look at locating said business over the border in Lao or Khmer. I currently have a business designing and building bespoke kitchens, although I do other carpentry jobs too. When I retire from this business, which will be soon, I won't want to part with the tools that have provided me with a living. They are, many of them, 20+ years old, but were expensive, made in Switzerland, Germany and Japan mostly, and are still better than I could buy today. If I find the Thai customs want to charge me extortionate sums to bring them with me (not for work, but I would want to do all my own home improvements etc), then they can kiss goodbye to any money and business I would bring to the country. I'll simply invest elsewhere.

My wife, who is a qualified accountant and has worked in the past for companies that import goods, is of the opinion that they would tax all my old stuff as if it was new, which would add up to thousands of Euros. I'm hoping she's wrong. I'm sure there are others who post here who have greater knowledge of these matters, and will be able to advise you (and me!) accordingly.

As long as it is personal stuff it is free of any tax. The reason we gave was that my wife returned back to Thailand as that is the most easy with requirements. I could have used my non'o' visa and stated that i moved to Thailand.

We had a 20ft container full of our personal belongings and documented very well what was inside.

The things they taxed were things that were double. Like 2 fridges.

It not went smoothly with the shipping agent as they were asking way to much money for handling.

Somewhere around 60k baht to clear the container.

After trying to get the price down, it was basically twice the cost of shipping, and get a reason for the high price. Taxes and handling costs were mentioned.

We told (well i did because my wife and her family who were asked for advice would have just paid it) the agent to get lost and we did it ourselves. There was very little tax to be paid. Together with the handling, moving the container to our place and unload it (5 men and a truck) the total costs in Thailand were if i remember correctly below 10000 baht.

There is a post from me from about one and a half years ago describing it in more detail.

I don't know about tools. I guess they will not be categorized as personal belongings but business assets.

Edited by Khun Jean

We brought in twenty crates of stuff when we eventually sold our UK house about 5 years ago. Use a shipping agent that knows Thailand - they will do the paperwork for you properly and will have a Thai side agent that will get it done. Let the Mrs do the shipping (i.e. in her name - she will need copies of her Thai passport showing that she's been out of the country for that time - and her ID card) - if she has been out of Thailand for more than a year its tax free in most cases. Some stuff will be taxed - like your second TV - one is allowed, the other is considered a luxury. So, sell one and get a new one here (they are pretty cheap here).

Other weird rules - no games (including board games we were told - which was annoying to me as they are a pain to get here), CD/DVDs (so carry them), no alcohol, nothing that is illegal of course (including firearms), no drugs (even the legal stuff - just hand carry if its prescription or OTC). Or ship it separately and pay the import tax (and get the proper paperwork if needed). No duplicates of electrical goods or luxuries - i.e. as many shoes as you have is fine (as long as they are not brand new!), but 2 TVs is out. No food or drink.

Keep it simple, anything that will cause it to be taxed may cause it all to fail and be taxed - so ship separately if it falls fail - shippers should know all this. When you pack, pack stuff alike - I,e, clothes in one box, shoes in a other, ornaments in another etc - rather than mixed. Label every box with the complete list of contents (otherwise it will have to be unpacked and repacked and stuff may get list or simply rejected - this can be just in English, but we translated it all into Thai too - the shippers put it all into a single itemised box by box manifest anyway.

We paid no tax - and all was fairly easy (though not cheap). Oh, we were told that my wife would have to be present to collect it as she had to show her passport - but we got around that by arranging for door to door with the Thai side agent at the extravagant (not) price of 500 baht plus 1000 for delivery to Chiang Mai! (still had to send passport to them - but their connections allowed it to be sorted without her actually going all the way to Bangkok - important at the time in our case).

//Edit: As with K. Jean, I stayed out of it and just put it as Mrs returning to Thailand after living abroad (for 11 years at the time) and general stuff - I brought tools, and just listed them as assorted tools - no problems there. I also brought over a safe - but if you do, lock the door open so they can check inside. Also, as I suggested, use a home shipping agent with Thailand experience they will know what Thai agents to use to do the job right for you - don't try and employ your own Thai agent otherwise you will be paying a premium and have no idea what you will be getting! Total shipping for me was about 2 grand GBP for a 10 foot container (home pickup - repack - crating - port charges - handling fees - UK taxes/VAT - etc) - Thai side (included except that 1,500 baht I mentioned) was tiny compared, about 10-20k Baht I think - as the paperwork was all done from the UK side, so was just someone to do the sign off Thai side and shake the right hands.

Edited by wolf5370

When flying from USA to Thailand (as I did in June 2013) each person is allowed 2 pieces of baggage up to 50 pounds each piece. Are you most concerned about hand tools? Stick 'em in a bag and cary them through the green channel at the airport.

Edited by JLCrab

never mind what anyone says on here you will get stung not by customs but by the handling agent this end.i would make sure you get all your kitchen equipment,pots,pans,kichen tools as good quality steel is very expensive.try and get rid of any large electrical goods,eg.

tv.ect.3cubic mts.my wf.shipped after 20yrs.uk.12,000bht sting.if you buy new stuff make sure you use it so customs cant say its new.

Personally, in my 10 years' living in Thailand, I have nothing here in Thailand that came from the US that I did not bring with me on the airplane. Some people's existence, I guess, just requires a lot more stuff.

• Like 1

You want to bring two used 120v-60Hz televisions to a 220v--50Hz country?

You might be on to something. I'm not an electronics expert. The TV spec says 100~240Vac at 50/60Hz. Not sure how that translates.

That translate that from the electric system it will work everywhere.

Have a close look. The modern things you just plug in, in USA or Europe or Thailand and it will work. But the older stuff had a switch (some a bit hidden) to change.

I wouldn't worry to much for it...but have a look to be on the save side.

Don't ship some outdated cheap electronic...till it is here it is so old that shipping and all might cost more than buying it new.

I think motorbike and car is a big problem.....don't do it.

don't ship any alcohol.

don't ship any weird things no one knows (example you have a nice collection of stamps)

difficult on games

Make a perfect documentation with photos before and discuss it in detail with the customs clearing agent. And if anything isn't clear don't do it.

Customs is that way: Everything clear: no problem, everything is easy and you wonder about what other people talk.

OR something is not clear, custom officer thinks there is some cheating and it will be a nightmare.

1. Don't bring US electronics to Thailand. TV's won't work as Thailand runs on the PAL system and US is NTSC. Other electronics would require massive transformers bigger than the electronic unit to convert the power.

2. The ability to bring in household effects without duty is limited to those that have Work Permits or other qualifying conditions- if you are coming over on a non-immigrant O-A ("retirement") you will have to pay duty. June 2012 I shipped a 20 foot container and because of my O-A visa I had to pay just under 28,000 baht in duty.

Maybe this attachment will help....

BOONMA CREATED DUTY-FREE RULES FROM THAI CUSTOMS.pdf

Personally, in my 10 years' living in Thailand, I have nothing here in Thailand that came from the US that I did not bring with me on the airplane. Some people's existence, I guess, just requires a lot more stuff.

My wife will need about 10 containers and I will need one suitcase. sad.png

1. Don't bring US electronics to Thailand. TV's won't work as Thailand runs on the PAL system and US is NTSC. Other electronics would require massive transformers bigger than the electronic unit to convert the power.

2. The ability to bring in household effects without duty is limited to those that have Work Permits or other qualifying conditions- if you are coming over on a non-immigrant O-A ("retirement") you will have to pay duty. June 2012 I shipped a 20 foot container and because of my O-A visa I had to pay just under 28,000 baht in duty.

Maybe this attachment will help....

OP has a Thai wife so no duty on used household goods. The company I used to bring in a 20 ft container partnered with Asian Tigers in BKK. Everything went smoothly with no additional charges from Thai Customs; they delivered to our house, unpacked & took away the packing material.

Wolf 5370 - Other weird rules - no games (including board games we were told - which was annoying to me as they are a pain to get here), CD/DVDs (so carry them),

No mention of games / CDs / DVDs being a problem in the pdf - pdf.gif.pagespeed.ce.EnXGTaOp3M.gif BOONMA CREATED DUTY-FREE RULES FROM THAI CUSTOMS.pdf

Was this your experience - or third hand information?

I have hundreds of DVDs, and books plus a few board games I plan on sending (as my Thai wife's personal effects), so this is relevant.

Personally, I would not ship anything unless it has sentimental value or is an antique. I think that you would be better off putting things in a storage container for 6months to a year before deciding to ship everything over. Sell all electronics before hand. They are not hard to get or expensive. Except for rare machines like ice cream makers and things like that.

If cooking is important then as other poster said, buy high quality pots pans, knives and bring them.

Shoes, quality clothes, eyeglasses stock up on a few pairs of each especially if you are not common size.

The issue with board games is the dice. Cards are also technically taboo, but I have never had them stopped and my family sends me a few decks a year.

You really should live here for a while before deciding what you really want and what you need. You really don't want to spend 1000s of dollars shipping things over here just to have them sit and collect dust. My general rule is, if I haven't used it in 1 year, I toss it.

Most of the stuff we are considering shipping are collectibles such as china that we display in cabinets. We also have a number of hand painted vases from somewhere in Laos I think. If it were just me and my stuff, I could put everything I need in the free baggage allowance provided on Korean Air.

Got this quote from seven seas. This is for 15 boxes. Each box has a dimension L51cm x H41cm x W61cm. That's why I was curious if anyone was familiar

Quote Summary_Q0086-6430_190820130901.pdf