Superstar's affair with son of wanted Thai politician raises eyebrows

webfact

So you believe that Pitt and Jolie are bigger superstars in Thailand than Janie Tienphosuwan?? You will have to think again!!

Pitt and Jolie may be overrated superstars in The States, but not in all parts of the world!! If you want to read about Pitt and Jolie, read some american gossip magazines and not the Thai gossip news!

Whether Pitt/Jolie are overrated is irrelevant.They are certainly global superstars.There are no Thais in this category or even close.In fact there are no Thais at all with wide global recognition.Of course there are popular stars locally but they are not by definition superstars.Thai entertainers are not even popular in the Asian region compared with the Chinese, Japanese or Koreans.There are a few,a very few because most are cheesy,who have the necessary talent and charisma.Bird is an example.But even Bird,like most Thais, doesn't travel well.
See that's where the confusion comes from. You are comparing global superstars to thai superstars. Just the term 'superstar' does not signalize that he/she is known internationally; nor does the article signalize that she is.

I'm just surprised about the vast arrogance in the comments here and on FB everytime somebody mentions a Thai (whichever)star about how they can't be, because they don't know them. It's very arrogant and rude to look down on a nation like this due to personal ignorance. And when I see the same people complain about the rudeness or other behaviors of Thai people, I'm just thinking, "look who's talking".

There's no confusion simply a misappropriate use of the term.A superstar is by definition global in nature.No Thai currently qualifies.A popular local star is a popular local star, not a superstar.It's not arrogance to point that out.

• Like 1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This country is going to the shits, this is just another piss ant story, not suprised at all. Son have probably not done anything else than spend his fathers ill gotten money, but if so, thats also a crime. Regarding the father, the Thai police is a disgrace to the people they are supposed to serve.

It's strange...the above The Nation report talks about Chonsawat and two aides being sentenced... But then there was a NNT news release at the same time that only mentioned Chonsawat and the two models being sentenced instead....

Chonsawat sentenced 1 year of imprisonment

The Criminal Court has sentenced Chonsawat Assawahem (ชนม์สวัสดิ์ อัศวเหม) of one-year imprisonment for obstructing police authority during the alcohol testing process.

Today, the Criminal Court has ruled out the verdict and sentenced Mr. Chonsawat Assawahem of 1-year incarceration for obstructing police officers who requested him to take the breathalyzer examination at the police checkpoint in the capital on May 20, 2007. Mr. Chonsawat was driving two famous Thai models, Aunchalee and Yossawadee Hussadeewijit back to their residence on Petchaburi road, but was later stopped by the Makkasan station’s police officers. The driver and both passengers had refused to follow polices’ instructions, which led them to physically assault Sergeant Prarop Saengnil (ส.ต.อ.ปรารภ แสงนิล), the Makkasan Traffic polices’ commander.

After examining all the evidences and witnesses, all three defendants were found guilty. However, since the three defendants had admitted their wrongdoings in front of the judges, the Court had then decided to deduct the punishment of Mr. Chonsawat and Miss. Yossawadee to 1-year imprisonment with 9,000 Baht fine, while Miss. Aunchalee would receive 10-month imprisonment and 8,000 Baht fine. Due to the three defendants’ lack of prior criminal records, they would receive probation for 3 years. Nonetheless, the three defendants have to serve 24 hours of community service and check up with their probation officers once for every 4 month.

After the sentence, Mr. Chonsawat told the press that he intends not to appeal and wishes to end this case as soon as possible.

w_l_top.gif

News ID: 255110280012

w_r_top.gif

btn_web-users_bg.gif Reporter : Sorraya Yosyingyong

News Date : 28 October 2008 w_l_top.gif

News ID: 255110280012

w_r_top.gif

btn_web-users_bg.gif Reporter : Sorraya Yosyingyong

News Date : 28 October 2008

http://202.47.224.92/en/news.php?id=255110280012

A well known butterfly according to my wife.

The headline article doesn't mention that he's married. Maybe they're seperated with 2 daughters.

He likes to party using his government budget not uncommon amongst thai politicians.

There should be a thai News of the World.

I read translated versions of various Thai news articles from the past that interviewed his singer wife...

The Google translations were REALLY bad, but they seemed to be quoting the wife as saying she was putting up with him for sake of her family and children...and then later some suggestion about them being separated...

But... I don't read Thai language...and the translations were pretty rough.

The guy seems to make a second career out of working the models/actresses circuit.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So you believe that Pitt and Jolie are bigger superstars in Thailand than Janie Tienphosuwan?? You will have to think again!!

Pitt and Jolie may be overrated superstars in The States, but not in all parts of the world!! If you want to read about Pitt and Jolie, read some american gossip magazines and not the Thai gossip news!

Whether Pitt/Jolie are overrated is irrelevant.They are certainly global superstars.There are no Thais in this category or even close.In fact there are no Thais at all with wide global recognition.Of course there are popular stars locally but they are not by definition superstars.Thai entertainers are not even popular in the Asian region compared with the Chinese, Japanese or Koreans.There are a few,a very few because most are cheesy,who have the necessary talent and charisma.Bird is an example.But even Bird,like most Thais, doesn't travel well.

See that's where the confusion comes from. You are comparing global superstars to thai superstars. Just the term 'superstar' does not signalize that he/she is known internationally; nor does the article signalize that she is.

I'm just surprised about the vast arrogance in the comments here and on FB everytime somebody mentions a Thai (whichever)star about how they can't be, because they don't know them. It's very arrogant and rude to look down on a nation like this due to personal ignorance. And when I see the same people complain about the rudeness or other behaviors of Thai people, I'm just thinking, "look who's talking".

There's no confusion simply a misappropriate use of the term.A superstar is by definition global in nature.No Thai currently qualifies.A popular local star is a popular local star, not a superstar.It's not arrogance to point that out.

See that's where the confusion is coming from. You're making up definitions or implying parts to them, as I've actually pointed out the definition beforehand. It doesn't imply international fame. E.g. 'American Idol' is called in Germany 'Deutschland sucht den Superstar', and I'm sure unless you're German you wouldn't know any participants or judges in it. Each country has their own 'superstars' - and they define them as they like.

Find me a definition that defines superstar as an internationally known celebrity, and that's going to be alright; but until then you're implying more into it than it really is. And that's where the arrogance part comes in.

Until then you'll either have to go with the broad definition of 'Superstar is a term used to refer to a celebrity who has great popular appeal and is widely known, prominent or successful in some field. Celebrities referred to as "superstars" may include individuals who work as actors, actresses, musicians, athletes, and other media-based professions. Particularly notable superstars now receive the appellation megastar.', and by this definition she is a superstar as you can ask pretty much any Thai if they know her for her work of art - and they do. And if you don't like wiki, feel free to check out Oxford, Merriam Webster or any other valid definition base.

See that's where the confusion is coming from. You're making up definitions or implying parts to them, as I've actually pointed out the definition beforehand. It doesn't imply international fame. E.g. 'American Idol' is called in Germany 'Deutschland sucht den Superstar', and I'm sure unless you're German you wouldn't know any participants or judges in it. Each country has their own 'superstars' - and they define them as they like.

Find me a definition that defines superstar as an internationally known celebrity, and that's going to be alright; but until then you're implying more into it than it really is. And that's where the arrogance part comes in.

Until then you'll either have to go with the broad definition of 'Superstar is a term used to refer to a celebrity who has great popular appeal and is widely known, prominent or successful in some field. Celebrities referred to as "superstars" may include individuals who work as actors, actresses, musicians, athletes, and other media-based professions. Particularly notable superstars now receive the appellation megastar.', and by this definition she is a superstar as you can ask pretty much any Thai if they know her for her work of art - and they do. And if you don't like wiki, feel free to check out Oxford, Merriam Webster or any other valid definition base.

Not that it matters but the definition of superstar assumes an international following.It does therefore imply international fame.Those artists appearing on American Idol are not superstars because they lack that elevated level of fame.

Googling for definitions doesn't help your case.I have of course no objection to Thais describing a popular national artist as a superstar.It simply doesn't accord with what the rest of the world regards as a superstar.

Superstar? What like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie? I like the way Thais like to refer to complete nobody's as "Superstars".

But they ARE Superstars in their own small minds rolleyes.gif

Define superstar. Somebody who speaks your language? Who has the small mind here.

Agree with you, Mr. Disagree. I can't believe these knobs are arguing about who's a superstar in a country they know so little about. Do they know who's a superstar in Japan? Brazil? France for that matter? That's why I say you can never go wrong underestimating the intelligence of certain TV members.

Knob? How articulate. How...intelligent. Ironic innit?

Not that it matters but the definition of superstar assumes an international following.It does therefore imply international fame.Those artists appearing on American Idol are not superstars because they lack that elevated level of fame.

Googling for definitions doesn't help your case.I have of course no objection to Thais describing a popular national artist as a superstar.It simply doesn't accord with what the rest of the world regards as a superstar.

The example that I have brought up about the wording of a show, implies not that the contestants are such, but that the popular understanding of a 'superstar' does not include international fame - as the winner would only be recognized in that country alone.

Also : a definition doesn't assume, a definition defines. ( definition of definition? A statement of the exact meaning of a word. ) When we speak about definitions, you have to provide such. I have outlined definitions where this is exactly not outlined. If you speak about a definition that proves otherwise, you have to supply such, until then you cannot argue about something being defined, as it's not.

Your argument against googling - due to your different understanding of something clearly defined - is an argument against knowledge and research and a fallacy in your reasoning. It invalidates your argument. It equals to "I don't care what Oxford or other scholars have to say" which equals to "I don't care what the definitions are" which equals to yourself invalidating yourself from telling us what is defined how, as you don't respect definitions in themselves.

It's ok if your understanding of superstar is limited to only such of international fame, but you cannot project that on others by telling us what everybody else thinks - as you can see from this thread alone that there's people who do not share your personal opinion on that matter - hence it can't be everybody or 'the rest of the world'.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/superstar

widely acclaimed

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/superstar

enjoys wide recognition

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/superstar

very prominent

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/superstar

extremely famous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstar

great popular appeal

Please go and try finding 'international' anywhere. Maybe even take a look at the examples which mention superstars in certain countries.

Again, it's arrogant to assume something based on our personal understanding from our culture and use that to talk down on others. It's easy, it's mean and it's wrong.

The example that I have brought up about the wording of a show, implies not that the contestants are such, but that the popular understanding of a 'superstar' does not include international fame - as the winner would only be recognized in that country alone.

Also : a definition doesn't assume, a definition defines. ( definition of definition? A statement of the exact meaning of a word. ) When we speak about definitions, you have to provide such. I have outlined definitions where this is exactly not outlined. If you speak about a definition that proves otherwise, you have to supply such, until then you cannot argue about something being defined, as it's not.

Your argument against googling - due to your different understanding of something clearly defined - is an argument against knowledge and research and a fallacy in your reasoning. It invalidates your argument. It equals to "I don't care what Oxford or other scholars have to say" which equals to "I don't care what the definitions are" which equals to yourself invalidating yourself from telling us what is defined how, as you don't respect definitions in themselves.

It's ok if your understanding of superstar is limited to only such of international fame, but you cannot project that on others by telling us what everybody else thinks - as you can see from this thread alone that there's people who do not share your personal opinion on that matter - hence it can't be everybody or 'the rest of the world'.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/superstar

widely acclaimed

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/superstar

enjoys wide recognition

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/superstar

very prominent

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/superstar

extremely famous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstar

great popular appeal

Please go and try finding 'international' anywhere. Maybe even take a look at the examples which mention superstars in certain countries.

Again, it's arrogant to assume something based on our personal understanding from our culture and use that to talk down on others. It's easy, it's mean and it's wrong.

Your interpretation wouldn't be agreed by most people.I wouldn't however dream of calling your odd position mean and arrogant not least because the subject is so unimportant.

Your interpretation wouldn't be agreed by most people.I wouldn't however dream of calling your odd position mean and arrogant not least because the subject is so unimportant.

A statement that is baseless and attempts to undermine a researched one as 'odd'. I have provided my sources, where are yours? I have provided my definitions, where is the definition you speak of? I have even provided you the definition of what a definition is.

A statement that is baseless and attempts to undermine a researched one as 'odd'. I have provided my sources, where are yours? I have provided my definitions, where is the definition you speak of? I have even provided you the definition of what a definition is.

Stop googling mindlessly.Ask a few people.Get a sense of perspective (given the stunningly unimportant subject).Stop patronising people who disagree with you,a particularly good tip if one's talking nonsense.Sayonara superstar.

Stop googling mindlessly.Ask a few people.Get a sense of perspective (given the stunningly unimportant subject).Stop patronising people who disagree with you,a particularly good tip if one's talking nonsense.Sayonara superstar.

It's interesting that you're putting this now on my persona. It's nice that you repeat the unimportance of the subject, whereas you involve yourself in the discussion around such. Also I'm not patronizing people who 'disagree with me', but such who patronize others, like whole nations, without proper basis.

You have stated that the definition of 'superstar' assumes something. Definitions don't assume. Go ask around a few people yourself, they'll google it for you.

That whole family is suspect and the characters must also be brought into question of those who becomes involved with them.

This actress has a fingers in many pies, including a large well known cosmetic company and I often wonder how these so-called successful people get there in the first place. And guessing that this ex-politician is probably on the top ten of Thailand`s most wanted list, than the motives of the authorities is to question those who associate themselves with this criminal and I can see the reasons why.

Edited by Beetlejuice

It appears you've lost the battle jayboy....to this rather "unimportant subject." What is it with you and the kurnell dude? Just trying to find reasons to criticize the Thais? It's you who's lost sight of what terms used in media means.

I've seen countless news pieces on CNN where they would be talking about obscure celebrities I'd never heard of, but then they'd say so-and-so is a superstar in India....or Mexico...or Korea...or wherever. Just to give a sense of the individual's popularity in that particular country. That's all. So this woman is a superstar in Thailand. Why can't you just leave it at that? You should realize that you're wrong because the goofballs who agree with you are the usual Thai-bashing suspects.

• Like 1

Superstar? What like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie? I like the way Thais like to refer to complete nobody's as "Superstars".

Same same as the use of the words as fantastic, incredible, fabulous. i am taken aback when any part of the US isn't subject to the word beautiful as in beautiful downtown Pittsburg. The word historic is overused too.

What's the son wanted for? If it's nothing then leave them alone.

Enough with the sins of my father BS.

Highly probable the son is enjoying the spoils of the ill-gotten wealth.

Not likely. He can make his own money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he is a potent regional politician.

Isn't he President of the Samut Prakan Provincial Administrative Organization ? The airport is located on his turf.

Need I offer a suggestion as to how he would make his money?

Do you think that he got there under his own steam? Same same Yingluck? Get real.

How does an actress working in television and unknown outside of Thailand be referred to as a "superstar"?

She's a superstar at the centre of the universe.

She must be a near neighbour of Nong Natt then. Anybody know the post code for Ursa Minor? :-)

Over inflated sense of self importance.

Yes. I can understand "star", as anyone in Thailand can be a star with a role on a soapie, but Super? Even that bird that sang the Indian song ain't super.

It appears you've lost the battle jayboy....to this rather "unimportant subject." What is it with you and the kurnell dude? Just trying to find reasons to criticize the Thais? It's you who's lost sight of what terms used in media means.

I've seen countless news pieces on CNN where they would be talking about obscure celebrities I'd never heard of, but then they'd say so-and-so is a superstar in India....or Mexico...or Korea...or wherever. Just to give a sense of the individual's popularity in that particular country. That's all. So this woman is a superstar in Thailand. Why can't you just leave it at that? You should realize that you're wrong because the goofballs who agree with you are the usual Thai-bashing

suspects.

There's no Thai bashing involved.If you want to say someone is a superstar in Thailand,that's fine.But to refer to a superstar without such a qualification implies a global reach.At present noThai artist has that.I hope one day one will.

How does an actress working in television and unknown outside of Thailand be referred to as a "superstar"?

She's a superstar at the centre of the universe.

She must be a near neighbour of Nong Natt then. Anybody know the post code for Ursa Minor? :-)

Dunno, but should be somewhere near Arse Major. :(

UPDATE:
Fugitive politician's son announces abrupt marriage

The Nation

30212169-01_big.jpg
Chonsawat and Janie show their wedding rings

BANGKOK: -- Overwhelming the Thai entertainment scene on Thursday was the announcement by Vatana Asavahame's eldest son, Chonsawat "Ae", that he tied the knot with famous actress Janie Thienphosuwarn.

Nearly all TV stations today covered the press conference at his home in Samut Prakan, leaving the parliamentary deliberation of the amnesty bill in the oblivion.

At the press conference, Chonsawat, who has a daughter with yesteryear singer Nantida Kaewbuasai, said that both registered their marriage today, at 9.09am. He said that the legal bond between him and Nantida was terminated about 10 years ago.

"This is my first and last press conference in 10 years," he said. "I have been taking a good care of my family, being a beloved father to my daughter. Before the marriage registration, I had a discussion with Khun Tou (Nantida) and my daughter as well as my beloved father, Khun Vatana."

He said that both have developed the romantic relationship in the past five years.

Vatana is now in exile, fleeing the punishment related to the Klong Dan corruption case. Department of Special Investigation chief is now pondering if it should pressure Chonsawat and Janie for Vatana’s whereabouts.

Earlier, a photo was released, showing the three persons in the same room.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-08

Interesting use of the phrase superstar.

More like a local celebrity than a superstar.

So now we have a fairly innocuous story 'local celebrity gets boyfriend, boyfriends father was in the news once too'.

• Like 1

Thai superstar is often used for a soap actor. A superstar of international origin has not much to do with superstar because most Thai's don't know them. The local papers are local and not focused on the local actors. I could list some great movie actors from France, Germany, Holland and Australia but no one really knows them but inside the country they are well known and get red-carpet treatment.

BTW: If the son of the politician has done nothing wrong why not let the two have a good time

Edited by MobileContent

I don't know if these people are celebrities, stars, or superstars. I do know that when this and similar type stories appear on the TV news that my wife perks her ears, faces the TV in a trance, and in short looks like she's trying out for a role on Meerkat Manor.

30212169-01_big.jpg

Before the marriage registration, I had a discussion with Khun Tou (Nantida) and my daughter as well as my beloved father, Khun Vatana."

Vatana is now in exile, fleeing the punishment related to the Klong Dan corruption case. Department of Special Investigation chief is now pondering if it should pressure Chonsawat and Janie for Vatana’s whereabouts.

Earlier, a photo was released, showing the three persons in the same room.

So he does communicate with his fugitive father and no doubt knows where he is hiding.

Why on Earth would DSI not pressure the son to reveal his fugitive father's whereabouts?

Why on Earth would DSI not puruse aiding and abeting charges against Chonsawat?

Or are they too busy trumping up another bogus charge against Abhisit? :ermm:

• Like 1