Lost the Plot Yet?

mesquite

Asia has a long history of chewing up aging expats and spitting them out. Unlimited booze, sex and sun too often turn into isolation, alienation and despair, the old be careful what you wish for.

Yep. This summarizes what I was trying to say in my post.

I lost the plot years ago. A touch of insanity is the only way I can stay sane in this world on which we live.

Doesn't matter where you are when you lose the capability to deal with life on a day-to-day basis as most of use will develop some dementia as we age. Although I do see the OPs point about scampering back to the land of your birth where most things are familiar and one hopefully has a support network for assistance.

The problem is not Asia, the problem are the people who come here.

I think most farangs here are rather simple and uninteresting people who are mostly here for the women and cheap life they can live.

After some years they realize drinking with other uninteresting people and paying for love / sex isnt that great but they do not see alternatives so they become grumpy and bitter.

• Like 1

... snip ... instead of dedicating your life to booze, sex and drugs, try finding something useful to do. It does wonders for one's self-esteem. I think the plot will work itself out after that.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun HeyBruce,

Are you sure you did not mean to write: "... try finding something useful to do, like rock-and-roll ..." ?

I can only speak for the two of us, but it seems like every plot I unravel turns out to have been one I have been deliberately led to ... "programmed" to discover, as it were ... as part of another, even broader, plot , of even more ominously cosmic complexity, to the point that they bugger serendipity, if you'll excuse an expression that could be interpreted as in bad taste ... not that you would, of course: have bad taste, given the sweetness of my words, which are only an imperfect knock-off copy of the nectar of my orangutan's soul emanating from his advanced stage along the (what I can only indirectly refer to) as "the path of slack," via the teachings of Ur-Orang.

What is esteem "had" by the self; what does it mean to "do wonders" for it; and, when a plot "works itself out," is there always an "ending" ... what does a "worked out plot" leave behind, if anything ?

Those questions you hatched for me, are amazing larvae; I will ponder their wriggling, watch, and wait. I consider it possible that you are, also, on the "path of slack," but, that could be another deception, in another plot.

By the way, I consider it a valid hypothesis that some farangs come here ... to die, in misery, slow suicides, or down-and-out-one-way-quick off the balcony in Pattaya ... may their souls rest in peace.

~o:37;

It's not 'where' you live.

It's 'how' you live.

This is spot on!

The OP seems to talk about people who have pretty screwed up priorities in the first place -- booze and sex. Don't get me wrong, I like both of these things, but if they were the most important (or only) things my life revolved around, i don't think it would matter where I live -- I'd have a very shallow existence.

I'm fortunate to have a job in a stimulating environment with well-educated colleagues, Voip services allow me to make phone call home often to family and friends to keep things "real". When I have to go into Pattaya for business during the day and see numerous older farang seated in bars, starting their day of drinking quite earlier, it makes me sad. You can see that there isn't much life left in them. It's those lifeless stares across the bar at nothing that is the real indicator. They almost give me shivers.

If I wasn't working and keeping mentally and socially active, there's no way I would move to Pattaya (or the other similar locations). I think it would be too easy to be drawn into the trap the OP refers to.

Edited by Wavefloater
  • Like 1

It's 'how' you live.

How cliche.

Living in prison isn't the problem, it's how you use your time. ...or, It isn't about living in a slum in Manila, it's how you live in a Manila slum.

Thailand give you the tools to slide into bad habits much easier than in your home country. The only limits on your behavior here are the ones you set for yourself.

• Like 1

It's 'how' you live.

How cliche.

Living in prison isn't the problem, it's how you use your time. ...or, It isn't about living in a slum in Manila, it's how you live in a Manila slum.

Thailand give you the tools to slide into bad habits much easier than in your home country. The only limits on your behavior here are the ones you set for yourself.

People make achievements, both personal and acknowledged in situations as dire as slums and prisons, so cliche or not, it's true.

Besides, I think most of us can understand that we're talking about situations where people have made choices of their own free will. People don't choose to live in slums and few people choose to go to prison, even though there's a valid argument that they chose to commit a crime that could be punishable with jail time. I don't agree that using situations so extreme and not related to the original topic and intention is fair or valid.

Edited by Wavefloater