Where to ask for Thai driving licence with international DL

Hi every body,

I am back in Thailand in Samui, but for the first time with a O A one year visa. Following advices here on TV , before leaving France I asked for an international DL.

If I did not misunderstood with this document I can apply for a Thai driving license BUT where should I go I suppose not immigration office?

Also which documents ? 2/3 copies of my passport, photos...

Thanks in advance for your answers, have a god day.

You will need a medical certifcate from a doctor, a letter from immigration and a copy of your visa and passport. I am not 100% sure but I think when I did it I also took my work permit. You will need to go to the office in lipa noi, not far from Nikki Beach on the opposite side. You are best to go first thing in the morning.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Welcome.

1. You'll need a residence certificate from Immigration, this costs 500 baht, bring photos.

2. Copies passport, visa, permission to stay stamp.

3. Medical certificate.

4. Copy and original driving licence and IDP (International driving permit)

5. No need for photos at DLT (Department of land transportation)

If you want licence for car and motorbike, you'll need double copies of everything above.

The DLT is located in Lipa noi.

9°29'26.47" N 99°55'50.46" E

Go there before 9.30 AM, you'll need to do eye exam and reaction tests.

• Like 1

You will need a medical certifcate from a doctor, a letter from immigration and a copy of your visa and passport. I am not 100% sure but I think when I did it I also took my work permit. You will need to go to the office in lipa noi, not far from Nikki Beach on the opposite side. You are best to go first thing in the morning.

You can bring copies of your WP instead of letter from immigrations, saves you 500 baht ;)

^^ Mate (PS), what is needed for that residence certificate?

I tried last time with a Tourist Visa and while the Transport Dept told the gf ... no problem, the Immigration Dept had other ideas and politely declined.

This time have an non-O Visa ... what do I need to take to the Immigration to get their 'residence certificate'?

Staying the gf at her Farm.

Thanks ...

This will be totally up to your immigrations office.

Some only do if you are making 90-day reporting.

Some charge you, some do it for free, some asks you to get one from your embassy.

Time also depends on your office from 30 minutes up to 2 weeks depending on office.

On samui the do it under 1 hour and charge you 500 baht.

You can get 1 or 2 for the same price. ;)

• Like 1

You can bring copies of your WP instead of letter from immigrations, saves you 500 baht wink.png

No WP it's a retired Visa. I have a medical certificate I gave the French Embassy less than a month ago, I guess I need To go to a Thai doctor here in Samui.

...By the way I cannot believe how easy it was to obtain this one year visa in the Thai Paris embassy in 48h... all the papers would have been faked it would have been same since they where only copy ( there were not fake of course) but for my bank I printed it from internet so easy to forged, no account in Thailand like I believed before, for the medical certificate, yes I went to see doctor who declares I had no contagious diseases, nothing more... without knowing me (of course I have none) Since I Will look for a long term house for rent (I do not have already) I gave an adress from a friend in Samui, a real one but I am not living there. When arriving in Samui I wondered what on earth immigration officer will ask me that I do not have ? But...I travelled Business Class for the allowed 40kgs luggage, I came by Kuala Lumpur, on the Bangkok Airways From K.L. even though the plane was full we where only 3 people travelling BC, we got off the plane only three by a door at the front the rest of the passengers another door, but then, we the thrio passenger alone went in the little train who started immediatly without anyone else, we arrived at the immigration, 3 passengers for the 3 booth, for me it was a rather young lady, huge smile...Oh have one year visa, then I do not remember exactly how it started about speaking Thai? I get on not to bad for basic conversations, since no one was wainting behind we spoke Thai 2/3 minutes then she gave my passport back with a smile I never had from any immigration officer. A few minutes afterwards only, the rest of the plane arrived... I wonder latter on if she was so friendly because she knew I was not travelling economic class? After all I have read here on Thai Visa about Visas I cannot believe how easy it was for a first time for a one year visa.

• Like 1

I tried last time with a Tourist Visa and while the Transport Dept told the gf ... no problem, the Immigration Dept had other ideas and politely declined.

This time have an non-O Visa ... what do I need to take to the Immigration to get their 'residence certificate'?

Staying the gf at her Farm.

Thanks ...

Same question than David biggrin.png

On Samui the girl at the information will give you a piece of paper where you write your address, give that, your passport , photos and 500 baht to her, and sit down and wait.

Simple process ...

Maybe it's time I leave the big smoke and have a holiday on the Island.

I've never wet my toes there ... is it nice this time of year?

• Like 1

Simple process ...

Only time of year you get wet more than your toes here is mid Oct to mid Dec.

On Samui the girl at the information will give you a piece of paper where you write your address, give that, your passport , photos and 500 baht to her, and sit down and wait.

Simple process ...

I dunno what to answer for it's true the Island is rather small, but enough for me, I do not go to bars, so do not care for red lights district, when I go to the beach I go To Lamai for instance where there are not too many people not Shaweng more populated. When we go to the restaurant it is many times to buffet, since for me 100% Thai food being perfect I am not frustrated if we only go to Thai restaurant + I can afford to invite my d i l with her husband once a week . I have a very happy familly life, my wife is the best company I could ever dream her daughter adorable her entire familly respectfull, plus her father brother and sister joking all the time. So since happy in my every day life not many things bother me, I have no grudge about this or that in LOS and for the moment Samui is OK for me but possible I am not a good juge whistling.gif I do read TV almost every day.facepalm.gif ...but I have no pink tinted glasses, I do not refuse to see anything, I probably simply do not pay attention . ( tongue.png )

• Like 2