Doi Suthep Mountain Bike Trails

KRS1

Yes, stunning trail that. The Huay Thung Tao one is good but is on that wider track which often has traffic coming up it. I would, however, recommend cycling up as opposed to songthaew, or at the very least have the songthaew drop off at the temple and cycle the last bit. All a bit pedestrian otherwise, eh.

So many of the downhillers can't ride up anything long or steep.

Complete lack of fitness and pedaling technique. Equipment choices for descending only.

Just glorified motor bikers without a engine. A lot of poseurs and wannabees.

It's like seeing someone swimming with water wings or a inner tube.

• Like 2

Beginning of that trail is last stretch of road before it narrows and approaches Phu Phing Palace.

Couple of hundred meters before the lower beginning of the Palace grounds.

It's easy to miss because it's behind guard rail. If your going up to the palace then it's on the left side.

Thanks for the directions, i just plan to run up and down that trail. wai.gif

Do you know where it comes out if you are going down?

Edited by KRS1

There are many choices of how to come down.

The more beaten path comes down behind Doi Kham Temple and near that horse farm and waterfall cafe place. Doi Kham Temple is west of Night Safari complex.

There are a bunch of ways to go however on the sketchier trails and can come out a lot of different points on the Samoeng road.

Let us know how you liked it.. Might be muddy this time of year and wouldn't want to be up there when its raining hard.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Complete lack of fitness and pedaling technique. Equipment choices for descending only.

What is the point of this post? It's so typical of what goes on in Thai Visa. Maybe people just like the thrill of riding downhill and they get their workout some other way. Why the superior attitude when someone just asked a basic question?

• Like 2

What is the point of this post? It's so typical of what goes on in Thai Visa. Maybe people just like the thrill of riding downhill and they get their workout some other way. Why the superior attitude when someone just asked a basic question?

oh sorry if I touched a nerve. A previous poster suggesting riding up the mountain more and I was observing a lot of them are pussies.

and I answered the OP's question too

oh sorry if I touched a nerve. A previous poster suggesting riding up the mountain more and I was observing a lot of them are pussies.

Actually I found your post quite amusing. Only last week in the Bangkok Post there was an article by their resident cycling columnist, who is supposedly a very active/avid mountain biker, stating that he could not manage a climb that the Hash House bikers breezed through. It really made me wonder as I understand that many of the hashers are only weekend bikers.

Actually I found your post quite amusing. Only last week in the Bangkok Post there was an article by their resident cycling columnist, who is supposedly a very active/avid mountain biker, stating that he could not manage a climb that the Hash House bikers breezed through. It really made me wonder as I understand that many of the hashers are only weekend bikers.

Try telling someone like Jared Graves he's not fit and has poor pedalling technique

poseurs and wannabees?

do you have any idea of the strength required to freeride or downhill well?

would be interested seeing you keep up.

i have been shuttling on the north shore of british colombia sinc i was a wee lad, sometimes up to 15 runs in a day.

dont condemn something you dont understand.

i will and can climb if i have to, but there better be a dam_n fine reward

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk
  • Like 2

The more beaten path comes down behind Doi Kham Temple and near that horse farm and waterfall cafe place. Doi Kham Temple is west of Night Safari complex.

There are a bunch of ways to go however on the sketchier trails and can come out a lot of different points on the Samoeng road.

Let us know how you liked it.. Might be muddy this time of year and wouldn't want to be up there when its raining hard.

Ive taken my CBR 250 through the trail that starts at the Doi Pui Hmong village and came out on the Samoeng loop, dont ever want to do that on a streetbike ever again, full of rocks, narrow one foot concrete wheel paths and ruts everywhere :(

Are there any trails starting from the bottom of Doi Suthep that leads to that same path up top?

Thanks

I was part ribbing(joking) but if any of you downhillers want to race up and down then bring it.

Start and the Zoo and turn off at the trail head before the palace and end up at bottom of trail near Doi Kham.

PM me. I might even spot you 10 or 15 minutes.

Nobody with skills needs a 6 inch travel bike on that trail

Ive taken my CBR 250 through the trail that starts at the Doi Pui Hmong village and came out on the Samoeng loop, dont ever want to do that on a streetbike ever again, full of rocks, narrow one foot concrete wheel paths and ruts everywhere sad.png

Are there any trails starting from the bottom of Doi Suthep that leads to that same path up top?

Thanks

I know that one... It's actually pretty good. I have ridden the bicycle up several times but its lots of those concrete wheel paths and rocky sections. The other choices I know about are going to be looser and more technical.

Did you come down by Tard Mok Falls (Doi Suthep park) or thru the agricultural zone that ends by the American School?

Have you tried the dirt road up from Huay Tung Thao to the hill tribe village? It's steep, rutted and concrete wheel paths in a some sections but the locals ride honda wave's up thru there. Just have to be patient and careful.

Ive taken my CBR 250 through the trail that starts at the Doi Pui Hmong village and came out on the Samoeng loop, dont ever want to do that on a streetbike ever again, full of rocks, narrow one foot concrete wheel paths and ruts everywhere sad.png

Thanks

I know that one... It's actually pretty good. I have ridden the bicycle up several times but its lots of those concrete wheel paths and rocky sections. The other choices I know about are going to be looser and more technical.

Did you come down by Tard Mok Falls (Doi Suthep park) or thru the agricultural zone that ends by the American School?

Have you tried the dirt road up from Huay Tung Thao to the hill tribe village? It's steep, rutted and concrete wheel paths in a some sections but the locals ride honda wave's up thru there. Just have to be patient and careful.

We came out where there was some kind of checkpoint at a curve on the samoeng loop....if you go right after getting out and ride on mocyc for about 10 minutes there is a restaurant on the side of a cliff where you sit on the floor on the right side of the road. I bet you probably know it. I think where we exited was probably by the falls since there was a checkpoint, but we didnt know where the hell we were going and never saw the falls.

Thanks

We came out where there was some kind of checkpoint at a curve on the samoeng loop....if you go right after getting out and ride on mocyc for about 10 minutes there is a restaurant on the side of a cliff where you sit on the floor on the right side of the road. I bet you probably know it. I think where we exited was probably by the falls since there was a checkpoint, but we didnt know where the hell we were going and never saw the falls.

Okay that is Doi Suthep checkpoint and sounds like you came down from the falls. There are a lot of different braided trails there.

That is quite impressive to do that on a CBR. I think a lot of people would have mentally lost it trying that. Lots of loose surface to lose the front end.

Okay and that cliff side restaurant sounds like one of a few there. If you were to go a bit further past the cliffside restaurants you could turn right at the sign for the American school and take the right hand choices of roads and go up to Doi Pui thru some agricultural estates. Lots of those cement double tracks with deep ruts however. It's doable on MTB or DTracker kind of bike.

Are you thinking of these trails for your CBR? I would not try the one in the video with a street bike. Jeeze that gives me the shakes thinking about it.

Okay that is Doi Suthep checkpoint and sounds like you came down from the falls. There are a lot of different braided trails there.

That is quite impressive to do that on a CBR. I think a lot of people would have mentally lost it trying that. Lots of loose surface to lose the front end.

Okay and that cliff side restaurant sounds like one of a few there. If you were to go a bit further past the cliffside restaurants you could turn right at the sign for the American school and take the right hand choices of roads and go up to Doi Pui thru some agricultural estates. Lots of those cement double tracks with deep ruts however. It's doable on MTB or DTracker kind of bike.

Are you thinking of these trails for your CBR? I would not try the one in the video with a street bike. Jeeze that gives me the shakes thinking about it.

Yeah that Hmong village trail was sick, it was rough on a CBR 250, my buddy was on a Ninja 250 as well...really needed to stop for a beer at that place afterwards. Friend just had new Pirellis put on too, same day biggrin.png

I might try those trails on the CBR , but will turn around if it gets too steep or rocky. It actually looks better than that rocky Hmong village trail.

Slid down sideways on this part, but kept her upright.

IMG_20130617_WA0005.jpg

Leaves hiding landmine rocks

IMG_20130617_WA0004.jpg

Worst part with big rocks

photo0161.jpg

A well deserved beer

beer.jpg

That's pretty hard core on street tires.

I think with some knobby tires and maybe a larger rear sprocket to provide more low gear ratios.

With that steep head angle just have to be careful to not slide the front end.

I remember on the trails of Kauai Hawaii a few motocrossers going in deep and getting rained on and then needing to hire a helicopter to get the bikes out of there.

Motorbikes are heavy and there are places on that trail it would be nice to pick up and carry.

If you had to leave a bike up there overnight or more time and I'm not sure it would be there very long.

That's pretty hard core on street tires.

I think with some knobby tires and maybe a larger rear sprocket to provide more low gear ratios.

With that steep head angle just have to be careful to not slide the front end.

I remember on the trails of Kauai Hawaii a few motocrossers going in deep and getting rained on and then needing to hire a helicopter to get the bikes out of there.

Motorbikes are heavy and there are places on that trail it would be nice to pick up and carry.

If you had to leave a bike up there overnight or more time and I'm not sure it would be there very long.

well aloha, spent some time on Oahu myself :)

I wont be going down that trail again, learned my lesson hahaha...slid more than a few times and that trail was going down almost the entire way...not fun on a streetbike ! facepalm.gif

Mark me down as one of the "pussies"... both literally and figuratively. I enjoy strenuous hiking, skiing, motorbikes and bicycles, but I stop short of doing crazy stuff where I'm most likely to get hurt. I have some Canadian male friends who a serious mountain bikers and everyone of them has been in the hospital with broken bones from riding. I've done rock climbing, but I've always used ropes. I don't need to show how brave (or stupid) I am.

But, thanks for the topic because the trails up Doi Sutthep are the reason Chiang Mai is my favourite city in Thailand. Unfortunately for us hikers, someone mentioned in another topic that the National Park has closed the trails up Doi Sutthep

• Like 2

Mountain biking XC is all about suffering: heart rate at 170+ for a 40-minute death climb, etc... Downhill mtn biking takes sick skills, crazy focus, and ability to handle speed. Sure, you burn more calories with XC, which is why they weigh so much less than downhillers. However, both are amazingly hard to be good at. I have crazy respect for both. It's like telling an offensive lineman he's fat. He will laugh at you, and during the game, in one second, run right over you. one second of skill that takes years, if not impossible, to master. it's like downhill mtn biking off 10 foot ledges. it's impressive.

Good post puukao. It's also about people in their teens and early twenties who believe they are invincible. All those injuries are accumulative and will come home to haunt you in later life. Old sports stars come to mind. Many in their sixties need a cane to get around.

• Like 1

My brother shouted me a downhill mtn bike trip about a year ago. I use to have a very good full suspension bike back in NZ so was pretty good with downhill....or so I thought. I could blame too many months of sitting on my butt drinking far too many beers as an excuse for my poor showing that day but that sounds a bit weak.

Still it was a great day out and I got to show visiting tourists how not to decend tricky parts of the track. My grand finale towards the bottom of Doi Suthep (I was tail end charlie) was over the handle bars and into a full face plant.... well at least they got a good laugh. Nothing hurt apart from pride, and a little gravel rash. Luckily it was a wet day so all these unplanned landings werent so damaging.

I agree with alot of the posts that it is good to see people get out there and enjoy the moment. Gets the heart rate up and adrenaline pumping.... a natural high.

I just like poking fun at the downhillers. Not all of them of course. I am not talking about pro's racing on a closed course or using ski resorts runs. That's a lot of fun.

It is a big problem however that the weekend warrior energy drink contingent are basically riding engine less motorcycles down shared use trails and causing a lot of problems for all cyclists and trail users.

The hobby horse suspension riders are tearing up trails by riding thru mud, locking up rear wheels and sliding and antagonizing other trail users. There are also more emergency rescue costs with accidents. Increasingly downhillers are also building jumps on public lands.

There have been a lot of cases of downhillers colliding with hikers etc. I have seen trails closed in Virginia, Colorado, Nevada and California. They even have radar speed traps on some trails in California. (Mt. Tam and Flume Trail Lake Tahoe)

When authorities have to step in they often ban all bikes from trails.

This is serious image problem for the sport when it comes to access rights.

When a rider is more measured and balanced because they ride up before riding down then they tend to be a lot less of a nuisance to the environment and everybody else.

It's the difference in philosophy between earning a meal and getting a free lunch.

Just a sign of the times I guess.

Trail etiquette for mountain bikers is basically to yield to everyone, while staying in control. I know it's hard, because you can't always see every turn and you might think you are in more control than you are. Anyhow, one bad apple will make people upset at the tons of well-mannered riders. I've hiked and seen bad hikers, biked and seen bad bikers, and drove and seen bad drivers. i'm not excluded. anyhow, when biking in doi suthep and you think visibility is bad, maybe just yell, "rider up" as you slow down. everyone appreciates a warning. have fun