The Draw-bridge Is Up.

Sir Burr

Have just finished gathering in supplies for the next two days.

Have enough ciggys, booze, ice, mixers, DVDs, books, food and all the necessities to wait out Songkran.

The missus has gone up country, so, peace and quiet reigns supreme.

Am going to put my feet up and relax, may do some pottering around the house and garden if necessary.

So glad that Songkran only lasts a day and a half here. Don't know what I'd do if I lived in Pattaya or CM.

As a soap-dodger, I have a natural dislike of getting wet.

What are you other Songkran refugees going to do?

What are you other Songkran refugees going to do?

I'm in Tokyo wishing I was in thailand for Songkran, I can't get away till next month!! :o

Sir Burr, did you ever enjoy Songkran, I mean when you first experienced it, or did you always dislike it ?

This is the first Songkran I have missed since 1990, I always enjoyed it myself. :D

Sir Burr I am with you! Well I have a wee bar down the road but not much goes on here for Songkran and I am staying put. Khall is on her way over with her family and a few mates from Blighty will be on the boat this afternoon to escape the hel_l of the dreaded Songkran.

For all you twits out there who like the festival, spare a thought for folks like this. A friend on this island has his elderly parents over for a long visit. They went to Phuket 2 days ago and want to come home to the island today. But they are SCARED and so are stuck in Phuket. WHY? Because they have already been doused with water while driving their motorbike and have heard about what usually happens at Songkran.

So the poor couple are trapped in Phuket in a hotel, SCARED to go out!!!!

Yes, Sir Burr, cheers :o

Sir Burr, did you ever enjoy Songkran, I mean when you first experienced it, or did you always dislike it ?

Yes, I used to enjoy it very much when I was younger, but now, it has just got spiteful.

I have seen people deliberately trying to make motorcycles crash by throwing water into their eyes as they are travelling at speed.

It used to be just the farangs that would take it too far. Alas, the Thais are getting to be the same.

I have seen people deliberately trying to make motorcycles crash by throwing water into their eyes as they are travelling at speed.

There in lies your problem mate, motorbikes travelling too fast... a bit of common sense on the roads at this time of year is all thats really needed. If your travelling fast in an area thats 'playing' Songkran then your simply asking for trouble. Add a few changs to the equation (as many do) then your asking to be scraped up off the roads in a bloody mess.

Whilst the festival can get a bit 'excited' sometimes and a few people take it too far, i've found that if you apply a bit of common sense you can avoid most of the idiots. Its not everyones cup of tea, some people simply detest the festival/antics - at the end of the day its only one day (here in phuket) so its a case of grin and bear it, stay home for the day or get wet. Whilst the massive water fight concept isnt the tradition of songkran, it has evolved into this, we cant stop it, we cant change it we have to either avoid it or accept it.

I enjoy the festival, but by the time it gets dark i've usually had enough so i head home for a hot shower, a big plate of food and a few DVD's for the evening.

I know where you live Sir Burr, i'll be round tomorrow morning for a Commando water raid.. be warned! :D:o:D

The only attraction Songkran had for me when I worked in BKK was that the traffic was so much lighter. A couple of years ago I remember hitting 100 km an hour on Sukhumvit going past Asoke at 5:30 am without another car or anything in sight.

Here in Phuket it is silly, a few drunken guys were already squirting traffic yesterday evening when I was headed home. Time to park the bike and dust off the car for a few days.

There in lies your problem mate, motorbikes travelling too fast...

What a load of crap! I too have seen bikes swerve out into the path of pick-ups because some Thai idiots were lying in ambush by the side of the Chao Fa road. How slow should motocy's go on Chao Fa road, Wolfie? Don't blame everything on speed - it's just not the case. You can play with your water in private, but stay the <deleted> away from the main roads!

The only safe solution is to stay indoors - that's where I'll be, otherwise I'll be tempted to add to the death toll...

Off to Kanchanaburi in the morning .... glad to be throwing water after gowing to temple ... and scincerely glad I am still young sprirted enough at 41 to truly enjoy this time of year!

I'm all stocked up also- went shopping on Monday night to get all the necessaries to spend the whole duration at home, and have a website project to work on to keep me entertained.

But.... the GF is insisting that we drive to the hometown in Rayong province for a day to visit the family and go to the temple, so in the name of household harmony I'm destined to be soaked by all of the nieces and nephews who think I'm a big white target! Oh well- it is all in good fun, and I'll give 'em as good as I get!

Where can I get one of those massive three barrel water guns? The seller on my soi doesn't have that monster!

:o

What a load of crap! I too have seen bikes swerve out into the path of pick-ups because some Thai idiots were lying in ambush by the side of the Chao Fa road. How slow should motocy's go on Chao Fa road, Wolfie? Don't blame everything on speed - it's just not the case. You can play with your water in private, but stay the <deleted> away from the main roads!

The only safe solution is to stay indoors - that's where I'll be, otherwise I'll be tempted to add to the death toll...

Well if your not travelling fast then the water isnt going to be a problem, 4 years ive been riding bikes at songkran on phuket and never had an incident. Not even close. the only indicents i've witnessed have been because the idiot was travelling far too fast on a road that was packed with people playing... Surely common sense states that if your in an area where people are chucking water, trying to break Mach 1 on a honda dream isnt the most clever of things to do...

I just slow down when i see its wet on the road, if there are people lieing in wait, just slow down to walking speed, let them douse you with water and carry on your merry way with a smile on your face. Its (generally) only the idiots that try and swerve round them and/or go too fast and get drunk that end up in accidents.

People who get irate, pissed off and threaten violence need to chill out a bit and Jai Yen (or maybe your username is a stab at irony?). Its all easily avoided if your too old to enjoy yourself anymore, Mr Victor Meldrew :D:o

There in lies your problem mate, motorbikes travelling too fast...

The simple fact is that by trying to avoid water by swerving over the road you are asking for an accident. If you don't want to get wet then stay at home. If you have to go out then resign yourself to the fact that you're going to get wet and when you see people about to throw buckets of water etc then slow down to an almost stop and there will not be an accident. The fact is that EVERYBODY outside of their homes is a fair target so if you don't want to play then stay inside.

I for one love to play for a day or two and will be staying well away from motorbikes.

A couple of years ago I drove into Ban Chang with my Honda Wave - it was the first day of Songkran. There was this guy standing with a bowl of water aiming at me. I sped up, aiming at him, high beams on and the horn going. He jumped away just in the last moment.

Who said Songrkran cannot be fun? :o

i hired five dvds today and got the fridge stocked up :o

there are only so many buckets full of water you can take from 15 grinning reprobates in the back of a pick up. the first day is ok, after that it just gets booooooooooooring.

Yeah!! IM not the only one !!! IM not the only one!!!

I didnt read this post. I was feelinb completely abnormal for wanting to stay in. It is my one day a week off anyways and I had NO desire to go out and get doused.

HOwever I starting thinking i was the only person staying in!!!

Thanks for the post from all the other sonkran scrooges!

My only experiences of Songkran until now have been in CM. Here in Bangkok, I see it's different. They are not just throwing water, but mud, too, or whatever that brown stuff is. To me, this is way out of line. I got hit three times in two days by people throwing huge buckets of water through open bus windows. I don't wanna stay in my room, I have things to do. I don't wanna leave my valuables in my room, I take them with me, and now I've got to put a plastic bag over my shoulder bag to keep my stuff from getting ruined.

I think Songkram is a classic case study in repressed violence and sexuality, and it needs to be tamed. There need to be rules. People who don't want to get splashed and messed up with mud need to be respected. People who are eating need to be respected, and not have drunken idiots throw mud in their food. People who are driving need to be respected, and not made to crash and die by these water-throwing morons. Violators need to be arrested and/or fined.

I could enjoy it if it were just water, not mud, and there was respect for people who didn't want to partake. I do enjoy watching girls get all wet and dance erotically in the street, as I saw today.

Mostly, though, Songkran has become a real ordeal for me.

One either gets stuck in to Songkhran wholeheartedly wiv barrels of water in the back of the pickup, or one opts out totally. Nowadays you can't sit on the fence with this festival especially here in C rai where the water throwing goes on for 10 days or more. How much Chang would one drink hiding in the house for that long !!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

The draw-bridge gets lowered today, as Songkran has finished here in Phuket.

And what a great day yesterday was, a lot quieter than the last few, seemed to be less people around, certainly around the kata/karon side of the island. Still a good time was had by all, had a drive around on a sidecar, armed with a barrel of ice cold water and tube gun :o

I agree that anything more than the one day would get tedious quite quickly, 10 days would be insane!

Gotta admit though, i got sunburnt... my back/shoulders are on fire today!

I took the kids out yesterday, down to Rawai. It was as busy and crazy as usual. I do not like the ice cold water that is thrown and my kids now all have coughs and runny noses.

I wanted to stay in but they were totally into going out so I took them. I guess it was a case of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." They thoroughly enjoyed standing at the side of the road by Nikita's and dousing anyone that moved.

There in lies your problem mate, motorbikes travelling too fast... a bit of common sense on the roads at this time of year is all thats really needed. If your travelling fast in an area thats 'playing' Songkran then your simply asking for trouble. Add a few changs to the equation (as many do) then your asking to be scraped up off the roads in a bloody mess.

Whilst the festival can get a bit 'excited' sometimes and a few people take it too far, i've found that if you apply a bit of common sense you can avoid most of the idiots. Its not everyones cup of tea, some people simply detest the festival/antics - at the end of the day its only one day (here in phuket) so its a case of grin and bear it, stay home for the day or get wet. Whilst the massive water fight concept isnt the tradition of songkran, it has evolved into this, we cant stop it, we cant change it we have to either avoid it or accept it.

I enjoy the festival, but by the time it gets dark i've usually had enough so i head home for a hot shower, a big plate of food and a few DVD's for the evening.

I know where you live Sir Burr, i'll be round tomorrow morning for a Commando water raid.. be warned! :D:o:D

It's not all about motorbikes travelling to fast or avoiding water throwing areas. I crashed mine two days ago and was traveling quite slow and expected the deluge. The problem was the brakes on slippery pavement, with probably some added oil. It has not rained here in several months and there is likely a bit of accumulated oil and grime on the roads. As for avoiding them, it is not possible. The idiots are every few feet in some places and no road is immune. The whole business shows a total disregard for roadway safety. If this is OK, then we shouild do away with the helmet law, the driniking and driving regs, etc, etc. As for me, this will be my last Songran in Thailand, It is not worth the hassle and hazard to my safety.

The draw-bridge gets lowered today, as Songkran has finished here in Phuket.

No such luck here in Bangkok. As I write this at almost six on Saturday evening, both New Petchaburi and Sukhumvit Roads are still filled with bands of young dirtbags either at curbside or riding up and down in pickups and flinging buckets of filthy water on everyone in sight. I had hoped that drunk drivers would have run down a good number of these social dregs by now, but apparently the said drunk drivers are too drunk to hit anything really useful.

Edited by OldAsiaHand

Couple of observations:

In the Khao San area, it's got to be the worst scene anywhere. Absolute pandemonium.

The thing that annoys me the most is the idiot fairies with their pots of mud who try to slap the mud on the faces of as many people as possible. I was quite concerned this Songkran that somebody would try to mud me, but I perfected my sourpuss face to such an extent that most people avoided me. I was very worried that if some idiot sneaked up on me and put mud on my face, I would really lose it and belt him.

I suspect this business of males putting mud on people's faces is just an outlet for the Thais' rampant homosexuality -- any excuse to touch someone. (yes, i know females do it too, and males do it to females, but most of the mudders sure looked like gay men to me...admittedly thai men are very effeminate even if they're not gay).

I never saw the mud in Chiang Mai when I was there. Just water. Are they doing mud there too now? The roads in the KSR area are just swimming in mud.

Also my recollection is that in CM, they stop when night falls. In KSR, they continue to midnight and beyond. There's no respite for people who just want to leave their rooms unmolested.

If this progression continues -- Songkran started out as just people sprinkling tiny amounts of water on each other, then graduated to violent gunfights, hoses and buckets, now mud -- I expect one year soon people will start pissing on each other, and then throwing shit...as the descent into madness continues (especially with all the beer guzzling and public bathrooms being so hard to find in Thailand)

And for the topper -- it appears that Bkk public buses were on reduced holiday schedule for Songkran -- forcing drunken people to ride motorbikes when they'd be safer on buses. Great urban planning.