Re-entry Permit

I have a 1 year marriage visa and the wife wants me to travel with her and her college school friends next month to Non Kai and then on to Laos for maybe one day. I hear that with me holding the 1 year visa, that I must get a re-entry permit to leave Thailand so that I don't mess up my marriage visa.

How and where do I get this permit and how much does it cost? Do I need to get a visa to go into Laos? I am American if that makes any difference on the rules. Her old classmates and we will be travelling by a tour bus.

Thank you for your help and kind consideration in this matter.

Re-entry permits are issued by any office of the immigration dept.If you don't get a re-entry permit your current visa will be cancelled when you leave thailand.

If memory serves me right it's 1000 baht for a single re-entry and 3800 baht? for a multiple re-entry.

How long is the re-entry permit good for and do I have to get a visa to get into Laos?

You can get your visa into Lao at the border. Just go to the bridge at Nong Khai, cross over on the 10 baht bus to the Lao side, collect the visa and customs form from the 'window' fill them out and hand them in with your passport, a ' recent passport size photo' and the fee of 30 USD or 1500 Thai baht. Wait a few mins and you will get your passport back with the visa stamp.

BTW do you have a non imigrant 'O' by means of marriage visa for Thailand (you have to do 90 day 'visa runs'?), or are you on 'extension of stay'?

Thanks for the information and I think I'll just forget me going for what might turn out to be just a few hours of them staying in Laos. If it were for more than one day, I could see the costs. The wife will have her friends with her so she'll be OK.

Happy Song Kran