Guided-missile destroyer USS Higgins arrives in Phuket

webfact

Guided-missile destroyer USS Higgins arrives in Phuket
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Higgins arrived in Phuket yesterday, anchoring at the Deep Sea Port at Cape Panwa.

The Higgins, the US Navy’s 26th Arleigh Burke class destroyer, carries a crew of 276 sailors and a formidable armament of standard and vertical-launch missiles, long-range Tomahawk missiles, two triple-tube torpedo mounts and deck guns.

“The crew were welcomed to Phuket with a beachfront dinner last night in Patong, where many sailors have been enjoying the nightlife,” said an officer at the Royal Thai Navy’s Phuket-based Third Area Command.

“The Higgins will be in Phuket until August 13. Due to security concerns, we have not been informed where the vessel will go after leaving Phuket,” the officer explained.

The US Navy reports that the USS Higgins, home ported in San Diego, is deployed to the US 5th Fleet area of responsibility promoting maritime security operations, theater security cooperation efforts and support missions for Operation Enduring Freedom.

In June, the Higgins was stationed in the Arabian Gulf, where it carried out sea rescue exercises.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Guided-missile-destroyer-USS-Higgins-arrives-in-Phuket-21905.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-09

Are the sailors required to have their uniforms while on shore in los?

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

and what better place than a hop on

hope the point those missiles @ the taxi's blocking the minivans

or if not organised transport to make the taxi's charge a fair price

A few "accidentally" launched missiles at a few PITA targets in Phuket might just be the ticket.

Edited by metisdead
Edited spelling mistake of Phuket.

What are the taxis charging/extorting now?

I wonder if they were able to resolve the situation with the taxis not being paid when the aircraft carrier arrived at Phuket for a R&R port call several months ago.

Edited by jcb2001

Monday is a dry day?

Mighty pissed off sailors in my opinion

Not according to this site: http://boomboomme.com/resources/holidays/thailand/

what shall become of peaceful Phuket after all those sailors arrive? whistling.gif

They mostly just go to Patong. You do know that Phuket is a province, right?

All those sailors?? less than 300 of them according to the article...not going to influence the peace of Phuket in general or Patong in particular, i wouldn't think

what shall become of peaceful Phuket after all those sailors arrive? whistling.gif

They mostly just go to Patong. You do know that Phuket is a province, right?

All those sailors?? less than 300 of them according to the article...not going to influence the peace of Phuket in general or Patong in particular, i wouldn't think

Much larger US ships have come to Phuket and yes, their shore leave is mostly in Patong. They also go and help out at schools and orphanages to do community service work. And by the way not all take shore leave at the same time. But what 300 people more in Patong? A drop in the bucket!

Shame, we will see the numbers of AIDS cases going up.

Care to elaborate.?...rolleyes.gif

I thought the same thing. But I don't think we'll see anything intelligent.

You guesed that right... my answer it totally unintegent... If you dont understand what I am infering now you wont ever beleive whats going on. Put it this way... how many US service men (or women) do you know who have been dismissed on the grounds of being HIV+ ? none, its against their human rights aparently, but not against the human rights of the people they acidently infect. This is a sad fact of an over tolerant (scared) society.

Shame, we will see the numbers of AIDS cases going up.

Care to elaborate.?...rolleyes.gif

Probably hasn't been in the US military. The STD videos they show you in training would put anyone off sex. wink.png

But it dos'nt, does it. bah.gif They come here and virtually rape the town as they have since Vietnam. w00t.gif They all act like they havnt had sex for months "I wonder why"? sad.png