Tony Blair and Kofi Annan unofficially accept invitation: Yingluck

webfact

POLITICAL FORUM
Blair and Annan unofficially accept invitation: Yingluck

The Nation

30212274-01_big.jpg
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said that information and opinion exchange is the government's goal, through the invitation of internationally influential figures like former British prime minister Tony Blair and former United Nations secretary-general Kofi Annan to a government-hosted reform forum.

She said on Friday that these figures would share their experiences with Thais.

This is on top of public seminars having been hosted as well as the political reform council where Thai leaders are invited, she added.

"We will focus on overseas successful stories and share these with Thai society. At least, we will observe multi-models or studies. Yet, it doesn’t mean that we will apply the models with Thailand. The issue of application depends on the context," she said.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry is now in the process of extending invitation. Some have unofficially accepted the invitation including Blair and Annan, the prime minister said. She said that the forum would be hosted in a series, depending on the availability of each famous speaker. This could be held probably once a month or once every two months.

"We wish to introduce a positive and forward-looking climate, for the national reconciliation. At least, we should be open to local and foreign views," she said.

The forum could begin as early as next week and around 100 participants are expected to join the forum, Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana said Friday.

"The number of participants should be more than 50 but not over 100, otherwise the opinions could vary too much," he said.

Phongthep said he understood some of senior figures invited may not be able to join the forum due to their current status.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-09

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said that information and opinion exchange is the government's goal........

Would you like my opinion Khun YL................................No, I'd better not.

Stop and think guys. This is just a little bit of a statement to make anyone in the army think twice about doing anything stupid in the next few weeks.

And how dumb is YS. As though the Thai army would give two hoots about having or not having a coup because Tony Blair or Kofi Annan was coming. How does a dignitary "unofficially" accept an invitation? By Skype?

• Like 2

Stop and think guys. This is just a little bit of a statement to make anyone in the army think twice about doing anything stupid in the next few weeks.

And how dumb is YS. As though the Thai army would give two hoots about having or not having a coup because Tony Blair or Kofi Annan was coming. How does a dignitary "unofficially" accept an invitation? By Skype?

Private visit, phuket holiday package included for family...lol, as far as i know,they are both now private citizens, or am i wrong?

• Like 1

Private visit, phuket holiday package included for family...lol, as far as i know,they are both now private citizens, or am i wrong?

YS thinks that by having them possibly in country, with associated international TV companies, it would probably dissuade the army from intervening. For sure.

"So tell me Ex-Prime Minister Blair, how do you feel about getting caught up in a coup in Thailand? Well, this is just absolutely outrageous and I call on the international community to bla bla bla....."

Edited by Thai at Heart

YS thinks that by having them possibly in country, with associated international TV companies, it would probably dissuade the army from intervening. For sure.

"So tell me Ex-Prime Minister Blair, how do you feel about getting caught up in a coup in Thailand? Well, this is just absolutely outrageous and I call on the international community to bla bla bla....."

Well linking this to coup stuff is one thought.

But why is this even happening at all?

Simple answer, it's an attempt, IMHO, to generate dialogue on planned discussion points and spinning all of it to the point where the pt can say they have support for a constitution rewrite.

Why?

It's pretty clear that the paymaster is rapidly losing patience.

It's also obvious that the gov't is losing ground in terms of popularity (rice scam and more now open for all to see the corruption, the totally inappropriate policies, the losses of commonwealth funds in many billions of Baht, the massive corruption), and lot's more. The paymasters puppet's popularity at an all time low.

Plus more and more activity by groups aimed at criticizing and overthrow of the 'thaksin regime' (currently not that effective but big trees grow from tiny acorns).

Plus It's quite possible he sees all of the several attempts at legislation to clear his path to be less than certain, and therefore he's told his employees (pt - the members of the paymasters get very rich very quickly club) to aim for other / any tactics to gain ground in other items. e.g. changing / rewriting the constitution could be a strategy, aiming to ensure his employees (pt - the members of the paymasters get very rich very quickly club) can remain in power for the long run whilst he devises more 'get me whitewashed / get me home' strategies.

Let's see.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Wasn't it said that Thaksin might attend?.

Got to get that Am Nasty bill passed first.

Indeed all three statesmen are arriving together on a Lear Jet.

Blair and Kofi will help cement the way for Thaksin to have his rightful democratic seat.

At last democracy shines through and this dark blip can be washed away in the history books.

Viva freedom

CCC

These two can never turn down the chance of a free lunch which might lead on to some of the ever popular after dinner speeches which have become a pretty good earner for all and sundry and tonights subject is .....".How make your way through life on the cheap but ending up rich!"

Should things like this have been done before the ram amnesty program began?

""We wish to introduce a positive and forward-looking climate, for the national reconciliation. At least, we should be open to local and foreign views," she said."

She definatly is open to local views as long as they agree with her's.

"We will focus on overseas successful stories and share these with Thai society. At least, we will observe multi-models or studies. Yet, it doesn’t mean that we will apply the models with Thailand. The issue of application depends on the context," she said."

Then she said under her breath but they are not Thai so obviously they are no good.

Hopefully both gentlemen will insist on prior payment, and then express brutally honest views of the Thai version of democracy. Of course, they shouldn't do this by electronic means lest they fall foul of the Computer Crimes Act and spend the rest of their lives in jail.

Until someone with some stature points out how UNdemocratic having 25% of politicians never facing the judgement of an electorate is, how it allows rich people to buy a seat (including the PMship), and allows seats to be offered to criminals as a reward and an escape from prosecution, the masses of Thailand will never know. Perhaps if schools offered classes in ethics and politics (they would have to be separate) rather than chicken raising and pig butchering, we might see some change. But don't expect that from this government, they are enjoying the fruits of ignorance.

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 2

The forum could begin as early as next week and around 100 participants are expected to join the forum, Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana said Friday.

"The number of participants should be more than 50 but not over 100, otherwise the opinions could vary too much," he said.

There must be something on next week to require the attention to be diverted.

Oh, we can't have a difference of the official opinion can we !

Berlus(t)coni would be the best speaker at this forum.

Naw. The Bongo Bongo stuff is more appropriate for the full moon madness debauchery.

Blair is a devout Roman Catholic now and leads a simple life so he would not be compatible with Berlusconi.

As for Koffi, maybe his son can tag along and offer advice on busting the arms embargo with Iran. Perhaps an an oil for rice deal.

Naw. The Bongo Bongo stuff is more appropriate for the full moon madness debauchery.

Blair is a devout Roman Catholic now and leads a simple life so he would not be compatible with Berlusconi.

As for Koffi, maybe his son can tag along and offer advice on busting the arms embargo with Iran. Perhaps an an oil for rice deal.

But Berlusconi recently said that he would promote a civil war if his wishes weren't granted. I'm sure the red shirts would be all ear to what he had to say.

• Like 1

Bongo Bongo stuff is the only differance. He has the same career.