Thai Immigration Police Arrest 3 Foreigners On Criminal Charges

george

Thai immigration police arrest 3 foreigners on criminal charges

BANGKOK: -- In a bid to crack down on foreign criminals whose acts are considered as dangers to national security during the long Songkran holiday period, Royal Thai Police Immigration Bureau has arrested three aliens with three different charges, according to police.

Immigration Bureau commissioner Police Lieutenant General Suwat Thumrongsiskul told a media

conference on Wednesday that German national Dieter Meier was arrested in Bangkok recently on narcotics charges.

Mr. Meier and seven accomplices were subjects of arrest warrants issued by a German court on charges of smuggling marijuana from 1997-2005, a total 351 times and cannabis weighing 6,661 kg valued at Bt 221 million (US$5.5 million).

The German suspect fled to Thailand to shield himself from prosecution and married a Thai woman here but he was discovered by Thai police and will be deported to Germany.

Masao Fujii, a Japanese suspect in a passport counterfeiting case earlier arrested by Thai police and deported to Japan in 2003 and blacklisted, not allowed to re-enter the kingdom. Mr. Fujii, however,

returned to Thailand again in 2004 and was re-arrested by the Thai police.

Korean national Kim Hyongdo was arrested in a raid at a Hua Hin golf course by Prachuab Kirikhan provincial police on charges of embezzlement of Bt61million (about US$1.5 million) filed by Korean

authorities who coordinated with Thai police after learning that he fled to Thailand and was running a golf business in the beach resort town of Hua Hin, south of Bangkok.

Mr. Hyongdo will be deported for prosecution in Korea.

--TNA 2006-04-12

hi...

sounds like the thai police are doing a decent job...

well done!

amarka :o

BANGKOK: -- In a bid to crack down on foreign criminals whose acts are considered as dangers to national security during the long Songkran holiday period, Royal Thai Police Immigration Bureau has arrested three aliens with three different charges, according to police.

Immigration Bureau commissioner Police Lieutenant General Suwat Thumrongsiskul told a media

conference on Wednesday that German national Dieter Meier was arrested in Bangkok recently on narcotics charges.

Mr. Meier and seven accomplices were subjects of arrest warrants issued by a German court on charges of smuggling marijuana from 1997-2005, a total 351 times and cannabis weighing 6,661 kg valued at Bt 221 million (US$5.5 million).

The German suspect fled to Thailand to shield himself from prosecution and married a Thai woman here but he was discovered by Thai police and will be deported to Germany.

Masao Fujii, a Japanese suspect in a passport counterfeiting case earlier arrested by Thai police and deported to Japan in 2003 and blacklisted, not allowed to re-enter the kingdom. Mr. Fujii, however,

Korean national Kim Hyongdo was arrested in a raid at a Hua Hin golf course by Prachuab Kirikhan provincial police on charges of embezzlement of Bt61million (about US$1.5 million) filed by Korean

authorities who coordinated with Thai police after learning that he fled to Thailand and was running a golf business in the beach resort town of Hua Hin, south of Bangkok.

--TNA 2006-04-12

Shit I think I know this guy, always wondered what he did for a living. But I think he have more than one nationality

Mr. Meier and seven accomplices were subjects of arrest warrants issued by a German court on charges of smuggling marijuana from 1997-2005, a total 351 times and cannabis weighing 6,661 kg valued at

Once again, no mention on mention of court appearance or extradition proceedings.........

The concept of Innocent until proved guilty does not seem to apply in Thailand. :D:o

Once again, no mention on mention of court appearance or extradition proceedings.........

The concept of Innocent until proved guilty does not seem to apply in Thailand. :D:o

This concept is valid here, for TRT politicians. It is just a little bit changed: Innocent though proven guilty.

:D

Sunny

Not just Thailand - have a look at the new extradition measures between USa and the UK.

The USA does not have to produce much in the way of evidence.

It was meant for terrorist suspects but it is being used for any crime - ie the bankers extradited for Enron

They'll be prosecuted in the home country. After all Their country owns the passports .. not the individual ... If they are here using their own they have to be deported home ... if they are here using a fake or one issued under another name illegaly etc .... then why would Thailand want to keep them?

I assume if they are found not-guilty at home they'd be welcome back :D

--TNA 2006-04-12

I say throw them in the slammer and throw away the key. They give all expats in the realm a bad name. :o

--TNA 2006-04-12

Sounds like it's ok to be a criminal i Thailand except for Songkran time.

a total 351 times

Why bust him now after 351 times? How about a round figure of, let's say 400? :D

:D well,,,all i can say on the matter is,,,very clever guy,,,351 times,,,thats a better track record than HOWARD MARKS aka MR NICE,,,

why cant i meet good guys like the german!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

well,,,all i can say on the matter is,,,very clever guy,,,351 times,,,thats a better track record than HOWARD MARKS aka MR NICE,,,

why cant i meet good guys like the german!!!!!!!!!!!!

You wouldn't happen to be related to Donz by any chance? :o

===============================================================

Very interesting numbers, because this gives us "Non-Dopers" a priviledged insight into this murky business. Just for the heck of it:

If 6,661 Kg's of Marijuana is values at Bt. 221 mil, then 1 Kg = Bt. 1,746.22

If these chaps did, in fact, smuggle 6,661 Kg over 351 trips, then they carried an avarage of + 19 Kg's per trip.

If they made 351 trips over 8 years (read: + 2,920 days) then they must have made a trip every 8.32 days, or - since there were a total of 8 chaps: 1 trip each every 2 months.

Now; whichever way "one wishes to slice this", I find it incredible that this org. got caught only after ferrying these drugs over a period of eight (8) years . . . . .

Amazing Thailand.

As for the Japanese chap and his passport-scam: that actually worries me more than the weed story. Fake passports are often used by international terrirists - and the chaps do seriously affect our lives.

And the Korean chap: if he was clever enough to embezzle this huge amount of dosh; he should have considered "earning" it in an honest fashion: obvioulsy he has the brain-capacity.

Goes without saying that all are subject (or should be) to the golden rule: "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" !

:o

Come on Astral, you've been around for (quite) awhile. It's not up to Thailand to determine if these people are guilty or innocent of the crimes they allegedly commited in their home countries.

The "extradition proceedings" take place before the alleged criminal is even arrested. Thailand would receive the extradition request, review it, determine whether or not it is valid, and if the extradition would be in the best interests of Thailand.

After that is done, then the alleged criminal would be arrested and deported.

If these guys really wanted to, they could hire lawyers and fight their extradition, just like what happens in some western countries. I don't think the requesting countries (Germany, Korea, ect) would submit an extradition request in the first place, unless they were pretty sure the person they are after is guilty.

In that case, why would Thailand want those people in the country ? In the case of the Japanese guy, he had already been blacklisted and deported once before.

Like someone else mentioned, if these guys go back to their home countries and are found innocent of the charges, then they should be allowed to return.

a total 351 times

Why bust him now after 351 times? How about a round figure of, let's say 400? :D

:D well,,,all i can say on the matter is,,,very clever guy,,,351 times,,,thats a better track record than HOWARD MARKS aka MR NICE,,,

Disagree...Howard Marks did this kind of volume in one run only...thus minimising the risk and maximising the profits. Hilarious book actually! :D

Second fishy extradition claim in two weeks.

I sincerely doubt that the Germans/English (Europe in general?) would demand an extradition for smuggling cannabis. They could find themself end up in hot water for wasting tax payer's money. Hard drugs-yes, cannabis-no way.

351 times everything went alright. Now that we need a little distraction in the news from the Thais killing each other on the streets the cops know how to find those bad boys. :o:D:D

If 6,661 Kg's of Marijuana is values at Bt. 221 mil, then 1 Kg = Bt. 1,746.22

Blimey !!!

1kg (or 2.2lbs) of weed for 1,746 baht (or £26)

That's cheap when you consider its about £120 an ounce for decent grass and £40 an ounce for resin in the UK

By my calculations 6661kg of weed at 221m. baht works out at 33,178baht per kilo (or about £500)

Which would be about £14.00 an ounce - which is still too cheap to be a street price.

Anything reported about the numbers of Thais identified as possible contributors to crime over the holiday and any special measures to thwart them?

They're unavailable. In the left hand a bottle of Lao Kaow, right hand on the steering wheel. :o Too busy to do something unlawful. :D

6,600 KG of Ganja? Dieter the Herman was busy!!! What did he do - charter a 747?

Don't forget that ol' Dieter has been a very busy man :o with 351 trips which equates to <19kg at at go. We are talking suitcases here, not the entire luggage bay :D .

6,600 KG of Ganja? Dieter the Herman was busy!!! What did he do - charter a 747?

6600 kg of weed works out to about 100 Americans flying to Las Vegas for a weight watchers convention. barely a quarter on a 747, although you have to make sure their not sitting on one side.

Bit of a strange story, after 8 years and 351 trips.

One comment, however, on the 747. Even to old 747-200F (freighter) carries

90,270kg (200,000lb) over 9075km (4900nm)

That's close to 100 tons.

a total 351 times

He did a great job, however, he didn't get out in time so it was all for naught.

Sorry but I don't feel too strongly about smuggling weed - come on, alcohol is much worse and sold on every street corner. And I don't even smoke! :D

You never hear about the really clever criminals... because they don't get caught :D

PS: An international arrest warrant isn't issued for nothing - I think the Thai police is doing very well extraditing these people. I don't like my country of choice to be a haven for criminals (well more than it already is...).