Phuket police seek information on murder of girl, 17 [video]

webfact

Phuket police seek information on murder of girl, 17
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1376282075_1.jpg

Screenshot of the man police want to interview. Photo: Phuket Town Police

PHUKET: Police are searching for a stocky man they believe may have been involved in the strange stabbing murder of a 17-year-old girl in Koh Sireh early yesterday (August 11).

The girl, Vadsana “Mew” Lertsongkarm, was stabbed multiple times as she and her two-year-old nephew walked home from the Tesco-Lotus Express minimart in Soi Tangkul at about 1am.

Pol Lt Col Prawit Augchaun told The Phuket News, “The killer used an 11-inch knife to stab her in the back. Her nephew is safe but she died on the way to hospital.

“We don’t know why she was stabbed – I cannot confirm speculation in some parts of the press that she resisted rape.”

Although there are no security cameras in the area where the murder took place, police did take footage from cameras in the minimart, which shows Ms Vadsana in the shop, wearing an orange shirt, and the man they want to interview walking up close to her as if inspecting her.

“The man is about 165-170 cm tall. He was wearing a white shirt and black short pants.” Col Prawit said. “If anyone recognises him, please call me at 081-415-8668.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-seek-information-on-murder-of-girl-17-video-41360.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-08-12

Phuket teen fatally stabbed during gold snatch
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A 17-year-old woman was fatally stabbed as she fought off a man trying to steal her necklace in the early hours of yesterday morning in Rassada.

The woman, Wassana Lerdsongkram, had gone to a Lotus Express with her 2-year-old nephew after midnight yesterday morning. Witnesses told police that a man followed her into the store, where his image was captured by CCTV cameras, and then went outside to wait for her.

“As Ms Wassana was walking home, along Soi Tankul off of Theppratan Road, the man came alongside her on his motorbike and started talking to her,” said Somchai Nooboon of the Muang Phuket Police.

“When she ignored him, he grabbed her gold necklace and ripped it off.

“Ms Wassana attempted to retrieve the necklace, so he pulled out a knife and stabbed her in the back,” Capt Somchai said.

“She screamed for help, and a teenage boy ran over and kicked the man’s motorbike out from under him, causing him to fall down.

“At that point, the thief tried to run away. The boy caught him and restrained him, but the man was bigger, and threw him off, then got on the motorbike and rode away.

“Ms Wassana died on the way to hospital,” said Capt Somchai.

The circumstances of Ms Wassana's death are similar to those of Australian travel agent Michelle Smith last year (story here), causing Capt Somchai to issue an advisory to island residents.

“Don’t walk alone late at night,” Capt Somchai said. “And if a thief tries to steal something from you – a necklace, a telephone, a purse, whatever – let him. Your life is more valuable.”

Police are still searching for the man who stabbed Ms Wassana. Once arrested, he could face life in prison, if he receives the same sentence as Mrs Smith's killers.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-teen-fatally-stabbed-during-gold-snatch-21927.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-12

Phuket teen fatally stabbed during gold snatch

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A 17-year-old woman was fatally stabbed as she fought off a man trying to steal her necklace in the early hours of yesterday morning in Rassada.

The woman, Wassana Lerdsongkram, had gone to a Lotus Express with her 2-year-old nephew after midnight yesterday morning. Witnesses told police that a man followed her into the store, where his image was captured by CCTV cameras, and then went outside to wait for her.

“As Ms Wassana was walking home, along Soi Tankul off of Theppratan Road, the man came alongside her on his motorbike and started talking to her,” said Somchai Nooboon of the Muang Phuket Police.

“When she ignored him, he grabbed her gold necklace and ripped it off.

“Ms Wassana attempted to retrieve the necklace, so he pulled out a knife and stabbed her in the back,” Capt Somchai said.

“She screamed for help, and a teenage boy ran over and kicked the man’s motorbike out from under him, causing him to fall down.

“At that point, the thief tried to run away. The boy caught him and restrained him, but the man was bigger, and threw him off, then got on the motorbike and rode away.

“Ms Wassana died on the way to hospital,” said Capt Somchai.

The circumstances of Ms Wassana's death are similar to those of Australian travel agent Michelle Smith last year (story here), causing Capt Somchai to issue an advisory to island residents.

“Don’t walk alone late at night,” Capt Somchai said. “And if a thief tries to steal something from you – a necklace, a telephone, a purse, whatever – let him. Your life is more valuable.”

Police are still searching for the man who stabbed Ms Wassana. Once arrested, he could face life in prison, if he receives the same sentence as Mrs Smith's killers.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-teen-fatally-stabbed-during-gold-snatch-21927.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-12

Yes another Yaba head... It's grusome :(

• Like 1

Rule 31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

Rule 31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may

use these sources.

Fair enough..Apparently a 33 yo guy has been arrested in phuket city for this horrible deed .

I hope he gets his just deserts ...RIP to the girl

Also the long term effects on the two year old will be immeasurable...the ripple effects of such crimes reach out way and beyond the actual incident.

-She screamed for help, and a teenage boy ran over and kicked the mans motorbike out from under him, causing him to fall down.At that point, the thief tried to run away. The boy caught him and restrained him, but the man was bigger, and threw him off, then got on the motorbike and rode away.-

I thought all thais were cowards , avoided helping others and only fought in packs ? This lad seems dam brave to me.

Ive been a lurker on this website for a while growing more and more disilusioned with the increasing bigotry of "guests" who live in thailand .

Maybe its lazyness , inability to learn the language and integrate or general insecurity thats leads to a deluded superiority complex , whatever the answer is I have to wonder if the same people dislike mexicans or somalians etc who fail to integrate in their home countries.

Anyhow I just thought it was worth highlighting the bravery of the young lad who rushed to help a girl even though the attacker was a bigger stronger adult man with a large bloody knife . How many of you "superior" westeners would have done the same?

You seem to be knocking farangs for some reason half way through your post. Hmmmm. sad.png

-She screamed for help, and a teenage boy ran over and kicked the mans motorbike out from under him, causing him to fall down.At that point, the thief tried to run away. The boy caught him and restrained him, but the man was bigger, and threw him off, then got on the motorbike and rode away.-

I thought all thais were cowards , avoided helping others and only fought in packs ? This lad seems dam brave to me.

Ive been a lurker on this website for a while growing more and more disilusioned with the increasing bigotry of "guests" who live in thailand .

Maybe its lazyness , inability to learn the language and integrate or general insecurity thats leads to a deluded superiority complex , whatever the answer is I have to wonder if the same people dislike mexicans or somalians etc who fail to integrate in their home countries.

Anyhow I just thought it was worth highlighting the bravery of the young lad who rushed to help a girl even though the attacker was a bigger stronger adult man with a large bloody knife . How many of you "superior" westeners would have done the same?

You seem to be knocking farangs for some reason half way through your post. Hmmmm. sad.png

No , not at all. Im not knocking "farangs" ,a term I dont really like, Im highlighting something to the bigots and a section of the western community on here with superiority complexes who like to stereotype all thai males as cowards.

Yeah...I thought the same......turned the OP into a farang bash for some reason rolleyes.gif

I was thinking the same thing about that young man. Big kudos from me. And this westerner would have been probably stepped in and tried to help too. In that situation you do not think you just respond to what is going on. I hope they catch the scumbag and he gets the karma he has coming his way soon. I never consider myself superior to anyone so maybe you were not refering to me even though I was born in the USA.

• Like 1

First a mad-gunman killing his fiancee and her mom then a backstabber. Criminals walk for free and never have to worry about anything, amazing cheap Thailand...facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Whenever I leave the city I live in America, I always feel so much

safer in Thailand. The thugs here make Thai thugs look low rent.

Also the thugs get set free here also thanks to Holder and you know who.

First a mad-gunman killing his fiancee and her mom then a backstabber. Criminals walk for free and never have to worry about anything, amazing cheap Thailand...facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Whenever I leave the city I live in America, I always feel so much

safer in Thailand. The thugs here make Thai thugs look low rent.

Also the thugs get set free here also thanks to Holder and you know who.

but still you have 2 times more murder in Thailand than US, per rata!

yes i know, i know, some people needs to compare thailand to their hometown, what i found quite out-topic,

and others to bring some statistics, also out-topic.

Please a 17 yo girl just got murdered, nobody want to hear your rant bout usa!

Phuket Police arrest suspect for stabbing murder of girl, 17
Phuket Gazette

mur.jpg
Somkid Saisema (left) was arrested after neighbors recognized his photo on TV. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Police yesterday arrested the man suspected of having robbed and stabbed a 17-year-old woman to death early on Sunday morning.

“He told us he just wanted her gold necklace,” said Lt Col Prawit Engchuan of the Phuket City Police.

Neighbors recognized Somkid Saisema, 33, from CCTV pictures they saw on TV and notified police, who raided his house on Soi Makham Koo in Wichit at 3pm.

“We found Mr Somkid asleep in his house,” said Lt Col Prawit.

Police also found clothes that matched those the suspect in CCTV images was wearing: a white shirt, long black shorts with white stripes and black flip-flops.

Mr Somkid is accused of following Wassana Lerdsongkram and her 2-year-old nephew into a Tesco Lotus Express in Rassada, where the CCTV pictures were taken, then stealing her gold necklace from her as she walked home.

When she fought back, he stabbed her six times; in the chest, abdomen, arms, thigh and back.

Police plan to release more information at press conference later today, said Lt Col Prawit.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Police-arrest-suspect-for-stabbing-murder-of-girl-17-21941.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-13

2 days later and only 26 posts.

Nothing compared to the outrage here online when the Australian travel agent was murdered.

I agree there,.and also was thinking the same myself,....IMO it is a sad reflection on many expats thoughts and feelings .... but my comparison was with the german jaywalker who was bitchslapped for flipping the bird at the guys on the bike who sped past him

The sheer amount of posts over a couple of days was bizare and more so, the amount of bigotry and ignorance displayed in so many posts is unbelievable and the whole non event was taken on and reacted to like it was something really serious. compared with this tragic story it was nothing at all and not even worth reporting in the first place....

This poor girl was murdered in cold blood for a couple of hundred dollars worth of gold, as well as stuffing up for life , the head of the young nephew with her who saw it all.

• Like 1