Maczone VAT issue?!?

pingpingping

Went to kad suan kaew to try and buy a laptop from ibeat or whatever the name is. I've a story and a question. I'll start with the question. Has anyone bought a computer from maczone (owns all authorized mac stores in CM), and got the VAT back when you leave the country?

When I attempted to purchase said computer, the salesmen said I may not get the VAT back because maczone is less than a year old. He wasn't sure...so hence my question.

My story...so the salesmen gives me 3 different prices at different stages in our interaction. First time he just totally blows it and quotes for the wrong product...next time we negotiate for him to take the 7% VAT off. So he calls his boss to see if this is ok, b/c of the aforementioned issue. Everything seems ok. They don't have the product. He drives to another store and brings back a box. I go to pay, and he says I owe a different price than we had discussed (full price, without VAT discount). We had gone through this multiple times, and he even called his boss to check...so I'm not sure what kind of miscommunication happened (or if he was just stupid...which seems like a distinct possibility). I just walked away when he said the full price. I had been there for almost an hour and had enough. Never had so much difficulty buying a computer.

I would like to pickup a macbook, but would also be nice to get the VAT back. Any ideas on the VAT thing with respect to maczone?

Edited by pingpingping

Vat refunds are given at the airport when leaving the country not at the store.

Also only available in stores that have a sign for vat refund for tourists ... You pay the vat and get the form from the store.

Then must leave the country within 60 days and apply for the vat refund at the airport before leaving the country

http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/who.html#link01

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware the store doesn't give the VAT.

Based on my conversation, it seems like they will be eligible for VAT status soon, but not at the moment. I didn't see a VAT refund sign.

Do you mean that the company is not registered with VAT?

That would mean that they should not collect VAT on any of their purchases?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I bought several computers at that store (Kad Suan Kaew) and always got a VAT receipt on the name of my company. So MacZone should be registered with VAT.

The OP might have been unlucky with (junior?) staff not knowing VAT refund procedures. It all sounds like some misunderstanding to me.

I've bought two laptops from MacZone and got the VAT receipts but never tried to get a refund because I wasn't traveling soon enough.

Has anyone got the refund for a computer and what was involved? any restrictions or exclusions like time etc?

I have read in other threads the VAT guys at the airport are sometimes hard find as they seem to be away from the desk.

The store must be registered for VAT Refunds, not just VAT, and at the time of purchase provide you with a completed P,P.10 form for the refund , purchase must be over 2000Baht, you must fly out (overland exit not permitted) within I think 60 days as mentioned above, the personal use goods are supposed to be for export (not returning to Thailand). To qualify I have read that you need to be A non Thai visitor who has been in Thailand less than 180 days in a calendar year.