Getting broken exercise equipment in a park fixed

pookiki

I have been going to a park near Victory Monument for almost a year now. It is call Suan Phayathai Phirom. I exercise there twice a day. It is very convenient as it is only a ten minute walk from my apartment. For the most part, the park is well kept. However, many of the exercise equipment is broken. I have talked with the Thai soldiers who staff the office at the park about getting the exercise equipment fixed. They are not interested in trying to do the maintenance themselves and told me: 1) there is no money to fix the machines; and 2) the person who does maintenance on the machines only comes to the park once every two years. I tried to email Governor Sukhumbhand but there is only a Facebook account listed. I did send an email to the Democratic Party Headquarters that is located very near the park but it went unanswered. And suggestions on the proper person to contact on this matter - someone who would be sincerely interested in fixing the broken equipment?

" ... someone who would be sincerely interested in fixing the broken equipment?"

You are probably the only person that would fit into this category. How bad do you want it fixed? How much are you willing to spend?

If all else fails, I will take the limited amount of tools I have and try to fix some of the equipment myself. But in some cases, the equipment must be replaced. So, who should I bribe?

If you're serious about getting the equipment fixed, find a local handyman and ask how much he'd charge to fix it.

You may have that much in your sofa cushions.

While you are doing your good deed for the day perhaps you could also come down to Lumphini park and evict the 'constitution' demonstrators. They are getting in the way of the stretching bars.I like to use.

Thanks in advance smile.png

If you're serious about getting the equipment fixed, find a local handyman and ask how much he'd charge to fix it.

You may have that much in your sofa cushions.

While you are doing your good deed for the day perhaps you could also come down to Lumphini park and evict the 'constitution' demonstrators. They are getting in the way of the stretching bars.I like to use.

Thanks in advance smile.png

Don't even have a sofa. But at my age I do need a cushion to use some of the equipment at the park! Maybe I am just to idealistic to think that anyone would give a rip about fixing the equipment. It is a working class neighborhood. I am certain that park equipment is pretty far down on the graft ladder. Just too bad because there are a lot of people who do use the park and it would be great if the equipment was all in working order. I thought the demonstrators had converted the stretching bars at Lumpini to use on the Pheu Thai members they captured?

Edited by soundman
Quote tags fixed.

The equipment wasn't put there to be used for exercise, so there's no point in having it maintained. It's only there so that someone could get a kickback when it was purchased and some politician could get his/her face in the newspaper.

• Like 2

The equipment wasn't put there to be used for exercise, so there's no point in having it maintained. It's only there so that someone could get a kickback when it was purchased and some politician could get his/her face in the newspaper.

I can assure you that the stretching bars in Lumphini park are regularly used by many Thais and farangs alike. And when the bars have broken due to excessive use they have always repaired within a week or so.

I think there are many people hacked off that access to these bars is being denied (by strung up red shirts maybe??)

I can assure you that the stretching bars in Lumphini park are regularly used by many Thais and farangs alike. And when the bars have broken due to excessive use they have always repaired within a week or so.

I think there are many people hacked off that access to these bars is being denied (by strung up red shirts maybe??)

There's rather a difference between the iconic Lumphini park and some small park few people have ever heard of. In the province where I live an exercise park was built. Clearly not wanted since nobody ever used it. (Quite literally nobody. I've passed it dozens of times at different times of day and never, ever seen anybody exercising there.) It, like most similar projects in Thailand, was apparently simply a way for a local "influential person" to line his own pocket.

"I think there are many people hacked off that access to these bars is being denied (by strung up red shirts maybe??)"

They're anti-govt demonstrators.

"I think there are many people hacked off that access to these bars is being denied (by strung up red shirt supporters maybe??)"

Is that better?

Depending on how far you are from victory monument, perhaps you should try Suan Santhipap? I live directly across from it and there is always repair and improvement work going on. Much better maintained than any park I am familiar with in the US to be honest though their exercise 'machines' are nothing to brag about beyond the fact that they seem to work. If nothing else, their office may be more helpful in telling you who to contact to have work done. The office is located on the Soi Rang Nam side of the park beside a greenhouse.

Edited by CPT

Depending on how far you are from victory monument, perhaps you should try Suan Santhipap? I live directly across from it and there is always repair and improvement work going on. Much better maintained than any park I am familiar with in the US to be honest though their exercise 'machines' are nothing to brag about beyond the fact that they seem to work. If nothing else, their office may be more helpful in telling you who to contact to have work done. The office is located on the Soi Rang Nam side of the park beside a greenhouse.

Thanks for the info! I am familiar with the park but it is a little far for me to walk for my daily exercises. The last machine for doing arm exercises broke this afternoon. I took the broken stem from the machine to the soldier staffing the park office. I told him, in Thai, that the last machine was broke now. He just smiled and thanked me for bringing him the broken part. No wonder they call it the land of smiles!

cleardot.gif

" ... someone who would be sincerely interested in fixing the broken equipment?"

You are probably the only person that would fit into this category. How bad do you want it fixed? How much are you willing to spend?

If all else fails, I will take the limited amount of tools I have and try to fix some of the equipment myself. But in some cases, the equipment must be replaced. So, who should I bribe?

Hope you have a work permit in place or you might be bribing more than you bargained for,,,