Moving Visa to new Passport

hellodolly

I am going to be receiving my new passport soon. I have a form to fill out and take to immigration. O will have both my old one and new one with me.

My question is How much to transfer the Visa and is it like getting an extended retirement show up early morning or like getting a 90 day come in the afternoon?

It's free. Same desk as 90 day reporting.

Do you have to do it or can you just enter with your old passport with the visa in it ????

Im in the same position but thought they did not transfer O visas anymore you just use the old passport am I mistaken ???

The new passport must have the current visa/whatever transferred to the new passport before the old passport expires. Else the visa expires with the old passport end date. And I have had 2 passports renewed here in Thailand. That's the way I understand it. Others are welcome to comment.

I just picked it up at the consulate.

Will go tomorrow or Thursday afternoon . I will take the old one with me.

Will just go to the center window and hope they put me onto the 90 day window.

With this new system hard to say. Just smile and follow the line.

I will post when I get it.

onthedarkside

thanks for the information takes a lot of the wondering out of it.

Edited by hellodolly

I just did mine. Went in afternoon only to be told come back tomorrow before 8am.

Got a form to fil out

Photo copy every page of old passport and sign

Photo copy arrival card and stamp

Photo copy new passport

Arrived at 7:40. Line was down the paking lot. Got number 83....sad.png

Finished at 11:30.

Cost is free, but its such a ball ache feel like they should be paying me!!

Good luck...

Not sure of your time line here. Yesterday was a holiday and naturally they would have a line up today. That is why I am waiting for tomorrow or Thursday. Was it a new pass port that they transferred the yearly extension into from from an old passport?

I don't know if it makes a difference but mine is just a retirement visa. Just to be on the safe side I will take in every thing I do for the 90 day and yearly.

Vibe is right. I was in there today for something else, but it does seem that you need to arrive early to transfer a visa.

Definitely do it because you're visa expires when your passport does. If you look carefully at the stamp in your expiring passport it will say that the retirement visa expires on the same date as the passport but will be extended to the actual 12 month extension date when you transfer the visa.

If you don't transfer a retirement (or other long-stay visa) before the passport expires, then you will be on overstay after the expiry date.

Early is indeed better from what I understand. If you don't get a low enough chit number at first, you will be asked to return later.

Otherwise, there is a short application form to fill out at the back of the waiting area. Photocopy every page of old passport? That sounds more like an annual extension! For documents try these:

Transfer of visa to new passport in case of expired or full passport. Relevant laws and regulations 1979 immigration act Required documents

• Application form
  • New passport and copy data page
  • Old passport
  • Copy old passport data page , arrival stamp , departure card and visa (if have)
  • Copy of your Re-Entry Permit, if you have one

I would add the departure card in your book plus the last entry stamp.

For a friend recently not a big deal. Less than an hour. But if you need a lot of photocopying, mai phen rai. They'll wait for you!

Edited by Mapguy

My passport got washed not really bad but bad enough not to be able to travel on it so had to order a new one the old one does not expire for till 2021 I just got a new Multiple O 1 year Visa which is not damaged at all although the other pages some of the ink stamps are washed out either way I had to get a new one.

Most of you here are talking about a retirement visa or an extension visa so my question is I have an O VISA from Savahanett (just got it) do still go to Immigration once I have my new passport and have them transfer it ??? since the visa is not expiring for a year nor is my old passport although it will be obsolete once I get my new one.

I was under the impression I just use the old passport for visa and new passport fro travelling a sort of combo thing

Cheers

Edited by DiamondKing

A visa is never transferred, only details of the old passport and your permisison to stay is transferred. If you are on an extension of stay from immigration you must visit immirgation. That will also be the case if the details in your old passport are no longer readable. (Visa and current permission to stay)

In today at 10:20 out at 11:50

I can see where there can be a time delay I got #310 and they were on #306 when I arrived.

I had every thing you need for the 90 day plus the special form all ready filled out. Good thing I took the wife. All I had to do was sit there. The agent went through all my pages and had her photocopy two more of them plus a second copy of my new passport. Not sure but the two pages might have been copies. All told they had 6 pages of photo copies. Would not be a bit surprised if that figure changes with who i9s doing the processing and what kind of a day they are having.

I still am not sure of what they wanted photo copied other than the usual stuff.

On the bright side of things I now have a new American Passport with 43 usable pages. Where as the old one only had 39 and that was because I had taken it in to have new ones added several years ago.smile.png

I just did this morning.As you have the form Photocopy all pages of your old passsport and the front page of new passport. I went along at c.8.15am as when I tried in the afternoon last week they said come again tomorrow early. No charge was levied. I left with new stamps at just after midday. Desk 3 deals with these and they were slow today. They made an error with mine so check the new (handwritten) stamps and dates carefully before leaving.

I just did this morning.As you have the form Photocopy all pages of your old passsport and the front page of new passport. I went along at c.8.15am as when I tried in the afternoon last week they said come again tomorrow early. No charge was levied. I left with new stamps at just after midday. Desk 3 deals with these and they were slow today. They made an error with mine so check the new (handwritten) stamps and dates carefully before leaving.

As I said there is no telling what they want it depends on the clerk and their mood I guess. I just did mine yesterday and only had to have 6 photo copies. My old passbook had so many pages that I had to get extra ones 4 years ago. I went in the afternoon and was only there one and a half hour.smile.png

Just a crap shoot when you go in there. How ever my wife was with me and did most of the talking. the clerk went through the old passport and put paper clips on the two she wanted.

We all ready had the ones we use for the extension. If I had copied every thing there would have been about 35 pieces of paper there.sad.png

When I obtained my new Passport back in 07 the retirement visa was free but They charged me for the multiply entry about B3,500.

I protested saying I had paid for a 12 month multi entry but the officer was adamant, New Visa, you pay.

john

Here is precisely what you need, in Chiang Mai, as of this date to transfer visa/permission to stay data from an old to a new passport. I know that this information has been current for at least two months.

The process takes 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours counting all waiting from the time the door opens in the morning. Information on doing this in the afternoon not available. Your mileage will vary, of course, considering wait time, but "front office" processing time for a transfer is less than five minutes if you have the proper documents. On some days, they will check the old passport pages that you need to copy at the central desk when you enter. Given the slick efficiency of the new photocopying facilities, you can generally feel comfortable getting the photocopies done there. The "back office" processing time takes 45 - 60 minutes.

A transfer is made at no cost. Nada. Zip. Free. Nothing.

Documents Required:

1. Application Form: Available at the Immigration Office at the rear of the waiting room. A easily adapted version is also available from the Bangkok Immigration website. It is a very simple short one-page form. No real need to do it in advance.

2. New passport

3. Old passport

4. Photocopies (single copy of each) of ID pages of both passports

5. Photocopies of original and every subsequent visa extension/permission to stay stamps.

6. Original and photocopy of current departure card.

7. Photocopy of the last " NON-RE" marked border entry stamp preceding the last annual visa extension date. Example: Border entry stamp in April 2013 immediately prior to last extension date of June 2013. [Ours is not to reason why...!]

7. Photocopy of last Re-Entry Visa permit (if you have one).

To summarize, what is basically needed is the documentation provided for a normal annual extension. Information from earlier passports to the one you are replacing is NOT needed. That is, you don't need passports going back to day one. Otherwise, for your next transfer, you will not need copies of all preceding original information and extensions, that information being summarized in your new current passport.

The passport will have two pages of stamps! One stamp is a summary of your visa activity since your original visa. Two smaller stamps note the "NON-OA" date [showing your initial port of entry] and the "NON-RE" information noted in #7 above [showing your port of entry]. The other stamps are copies of the current annual extension and the current re-entry permit (if you have one).

More than you wanted or needed to know, right ?! smile.png

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1