Charcoal grilled food

RaysFan

Haven't eaten there but they have/had a barbeque restaurant on the roof of the Flora hotel. Been a year since I was up there. It has a 360 degree view of the city.

It is located right behind hill side 4 you can go in the front door of hillside 4 and walk right straight through it to the Flora. It was originally going to be hillside 5.

Haven't eaten there but they have/had a barbeque restaurant on the roof of the Flora hotel. Been a year since I was up there. It has a 360 degree view of the city.

It is located right behind hill side 4 you can go in the front door of hillside 4 and walk right straight through it to the Flora. It was originally going to be hillside 5.

Well.... since the Flora Hotel is located well to the south of Huay Kaew (off of Nimmanhaemin Soi 17), I'm guessing that you're referring instead to the Furama Hotel. It can also be accessed directly from the southbound Superhighway as you are approaching the Rin Kham intersection. Here: http://goo.gl/maps/6Pr66

They've actually got two restaurants on the 17th floor rooftop: the open air Xanadu, and The Grill Room, which is enclosed. I have not tried The Grill Room, (and so can't comment on the BBQ...) but Xanadu is one of my favorite "date night" spots in the city. Better than average food, not too expensive, and the best sunset view for dining that I've found in Chiang Mai.

As far as charcoal grilled delights go........ come 5:30 pm each day, I can't walk more than 100 meters in any direction without running into somebody grilling something interesting!

Take a stroll, and follow your nose!

Simples mate.

DIY!!!

Yes, your suggestion is so much easier. Why go to a restaurant for that once a year craving, when you can spend more money on buying a barbeque, even though your condo association does not allow them?

• Like 2

Well.... since the Flora Hotel is located well to the south of Huay Kaew (off of Nimmanhaemin Soi 17), I'm guessing that you're referring instead to the Furama Hotel. It can also be accessed directly from the southbound Superhighway as you are approaching the Rin Kham intersection. Here: http://goo.gl/maps/6Pr66

They've actually got two restaurants on the 17th floor rooftop: the open air Xanadu, and The Grill Room, which is enclosed. I have not tried The Grill Room, (and so can't comment on the BBQ...) but Xanadu is one of my favorite "date night" spots in the city. Better than average food, not too expensive, and the best sunset view for dining that I've found in Chiang Mai.

As far as charcoal grilled delights go........ come 5:30 pm each day, I can't walk more than 100 meters in any direction without running into somebody grilling something interesting!

Take a stroll, and follow your nose!

You are correct sorry about that. Another senior moment. For the 360 degree view you would have to walk around a bit.

For the life of me I cannot get use to somtum salad bah.gif . I have tried many types of it but the taste takes some getting use to. I wonder if its like eating blue vein cheese... an aquired taste, and once you get over the initial shock its not too bad. w00t.gif

Anyways I went off track a bit there.... BBQ food is everywhere. Like has been previously posted, travel around at 5pm and you'll be surprised how many road side stalls are doing BBQ. Going around the moat (Inside anti-clockwise) will expose a few, complete rotisseire chickens too. And 3 little pigs is very good if you prefer a restaurant type setting. Spare ribs are great

Edited by CMKiwi

Personally, somtum is one of the Thai foods that I liked right away, but I always order Thai style (as opposed to Issan style) and pet nit noy.

Agreed im a Som tam snob as it can be too sweet or too spicy or they didnt clean the bowl out and still

has that funky fish taste..yuk....but i have foound a few fav spots where i know it will be on point

Have to say it is my FAV dish if i had to pick ONE.....perfect dish...crunchy...salty...spicy..sweet

a bit of shrimp..peanuts...diff textures...nice on a hot day--try the fruit somtam as well---ARROY

• Like 1

Ive personally loved somtum from day one as well... I order it probably 4 times a week. About once a week I will get one that is just RIDICULOUSLY spicy... Spicy to the point where I know no Thai will like it. Like sweating, snot pouring out of your nose, tears running down your face spicy.... I always finish it anyways.

I'm still relatively new to town, Ive come across 1 bbq place that I really liked, its on the way to Hang Dong Makro from the city on the left side... They have 5 or 6 grills going and they are bbqing everything you can think of. I ordered half a chicken from there and some sticky rice, was about 50 baht if I remember correctly. This is along the lines of what I'm looking for... BBQ chicken wings, half chicken, or good quality pork (extremely hard to find).

One of my favorites in on Kunpang Din Road very close to Loi Kroh Road. There is a grill on the street in front of a small shop that is usually crowded with Thai customers. BQ chicken wings with sticky rice and a somtum salad is what I always have there.

I'm going to try to find this one, Its very close to my business, do you happen to know if they are open around 11pm?

SP Chicken, on the South wall of Wat Prah Singh is very good. Shuts early though (about 9ish from memory). Yellow sign outside.

Not 100% sure if it's charcoaled - one of those slow spinning rotisserie things.

Edited by soblue2001
  • Like 1

One of my favorites in on Kunpang Din Road very close to Loi Kroh Road. There is a grill on the street in front of a small shop that is usually crowded with Thai customers. BQ chicken wings with sticky rice and a somtum salad is what I always have there.

I'm going to try to find this one, Its very close to my business, do you happen to know if they are open around 11pm?

I'm pretty sure that it is one of those places that is only open in the daytime. I work until 9PM and really have a hard time finding good (normally priced) Thai food after that compared to in the morning or afternoon when we are spoiled for choice.

I am a fan of SP Chicken too, but not sure how to find it since it moved in May. The post above says it is on the South wall of Wat Prah Singh. That should not be too hard to find. There is also a very good Sarapao (pork, chicken, vegetables, etc.) bun place nearby.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Ok the missus took me out to lunch today and got me Thai Somtum. I must admit it was very good. All the other times I had the Issaan version that blew my head off with too many chillies. So I suppose you could say Im a partial convert to this dish now. Cheers to Ulysses for the info on different types of Somtum wai.gif

Edited by CMKiwi

Yup that place is a definite daytime only. Best to avoid between 12 and 1 as it is always full at these times. Good food to be had there.

I'm pretty sure that it is one of those places that is only open in the daytime. I work until 9PM and really have a hard time finding good (normally priced) Thai food after that compared to in the morning or afternoon when we are spoiled for choice.

I am a fan of SP Chicken too, but not sure how to find it since it moved in May. The post above says it is on the South wall of Wat Prah Singh. That should not be too hard to find. There is also a very good Sarapao (pork, chicken, vegetables, etc.) bun place nearby.

I'm a big fan of SP Chicken as well, and was a faithful follower when they relocated a few months ago.

Their new location is on the southwest corner of Sam Lan Soi 1 (which runs along the south wall of Wat Pra Singh) and Ratchamankha Soi 8. According to this Google shot, the building used to house the P.S Snooker Club: http://goo.gl/maps/cshH7

Best rotisserie chicken in town, and really..... everything they serve is done very well. I've never walked out of there feeling anything other than completely satisfied!

Now.... how about a better idea as to where I might find your sarapao joint?licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

I'm guessing you are referring to farang food? I like 3 Little Pigs for BBQ. He really knows how to use the wood chips and so forth to get that smoky flavor in the meats. That is now my favorite place for a burger. The pulled pork sandwich is good as well.

3 Little Pigs sounds good. Can you give me idiots guide directions for the place.

Thanks thumbsup.gif

Edited by merlin2002

Now.... how about a better idea as to where I might find your sarapao joint

This map is not exactly right, but it is close to their location. Pun Pao Steamed Buns is actually right on corner of the moat road. They have a variety of vegetarian steamed buns which are really hard to find in CM. That is the main reason that I like the place. They also have a lot of other kinds of sarapao.

http://www.happycow.net/gmaps/get-map-direct.php?vid=35214

Now.... how about a better idea as to where I might find your sarapao joint

This map is not exactly right, but it is close to their location. Pun Pao Steamed Buns is actually right on corner of the moat road. They have a variety of vegetarian steamed buns which are really hard to find in CM. That is the main reason that I like the place. They also have a lot of other kinds of sarapao.

http://www.happycow.net/gmaps/get-map-direct.php?vid=35214

Thanks for that!

I'll make a point to drop in there the next time I'm in the neighborhood.

For the life of me I cannot get use to somtum salad bah.gif . I have tried many types of it but the taste takes some getting use to. I wonder if its like eating blue vein cheese... an aquired taste, and once you get over the initial shock its not too bad. w00t.gif

Anyways I went off track a bit there.... BBQ food is everywhere. Like has been previously posted, travel around at 5pm and you'll be surprised how many road side stalls are doing BBQ. Going around the moat (Inside anti-clockwise) will expose a few, complete rotisseire chickens too. And 3 little pigs is very good if you prefer a restaurant type setting. Spare ribs are great

Never eat somtam that a girl has ordered, it will always have salted crab or fermented fish in it.

Get 'Thum Thai' instead, non of that nasty, smelly, suspiciously foul crud in it.

Theres another rotisserie chicken place on the north side of the moat on the inner ring. Not far after turning the corner from, Riders Corner.

Ive personally loved somtum from day one as well... I order it probably 4 times a week. About once a week I will get one that is just RIDICULOUSLY spicy... Spicy to the point where I know no Thai will like it. Like sweating, snot pouring out of your nose, tears running down your face spicy.... I always finish it anyways.

I'm still relatively new to town, Ive come across 1 bbq place that I really liked, its on the way to Hang Dong Makro from the city on the left side... They have 5 or 6 grills going and they are bbqing everything you can think of. I ordered half a chicken from there and some sticky rice, was about 50 baht if I remember correctly. This is along the lines of what I'm looking for... BBQ chicken wings, half chicken, or good quality pork (extremely hard to find).

yep thats my area--seens the grills goin'.....got everything but the OINK on the grills....usually go with the

bigger chix as not to dry it out on the grill all day....love a lil isaan sauce on the finger lickin chicken as well

my pick for som tam is across from cmu..#1 spot for me... if in city, lady @ cm gate/across from the tesco X

anyhoo about 3 chilis is good heat for my somtam---was cocky one day and got 8!!!..never again..ever..!

sorry gotta run and see the latest developments on the parking place--is like thais and thier soap operas!

• Like 1

Never eat somtam that a girl has ordered, it will always have salted crab or fermented fish in it.

Get 'Thum Thai' instead, non of that nasty, smelly, suspiciously foul crud in it.

Yeah some of that stuff is nasty. Just in the news a about 2 weeks ago, a Thai woman in Phuket died from eating som tam with fermented fish in it. She had a terrible stomach ache and was dead my morning.

Fortunately, no one in my family eats anything but som tam Thai. One aunt ate som tam with raw crab in it about 20 years ago and spent 5 days in the hospital afterwards. No one in the family has touched anything like that since. Some of the som tam (Lao) they eat in Isaan smells like crap.

Simples mate.

DIY!!!

Yes, your suggestion is so much easier. Why go to a restaurant for that once a year craving, when you can spend more money on buying a barbeque, even though your condo association does not allow them?

Once a year craving for BBQ?!?!? ***ONCE A YEAR?!?!?*** Please turn in your man card. You're done! ;)

Kidding! Just kidding!!!! I totally understand where you are coming from. After just moving from a townhouse in Chiang Mai to now a condo in Bangkok, I already miss the grill I had to give away when I left.

I wish the apartment buildings here would in Thailand would do what alot of American buildings do. That is to build in a couple permanent grills in the outdoor common/ pool area for residents to use. Love being able to throw a few quick burgers or handful of random sausages on the grill..

-Mestizo