Why Bangkok street food sucks: Opinion

webfact

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough then. But can you imagine if a bowl of noodles went from 30 to 125 baht overnight in Thailand?

I agree as well about controlling the street food a bit more, though there are some great places around my neighborhood that I would hate to see shut down, esp. as nothing else is open as late as they are.

Edited by tominbkk

Although i eat street food maybe twice a week i really do dislike the way vendors of all kinds not only food make it impossible to walk anywhere,

It was explained to me that the police have a hand in this and vendors have to pay on a monthly basis, the same even happens in areas designed to be used for vending.

• Like 2

while it may be true of some, it is most certainly not true of all.

buddy needs to go eat some proper street food.

As for the singapore comparison, well mr wang, you are entitled to your opinion.

There's street food around the 7/11 by my house that opens at night, is clean, and cheap. Pad Thai, gio nam, kao mun gai, and a little steak place all coexist comfortably and have tons of business.

• Like 2

Organising the BKK street vendors into food courts would make no differance at all. In fact I suspect it would make the problem worse as you would end up with a concentration of unsanitary operations where the vermon and roaches would thrive.

Organising the BKK street vendors into food courts and putting into place a functioning government run licensing and health inspection rating scheme such as they have in Singapore would work. Anyone here believe that would happen??

Edited by canman
  • Like 2

Also, once we get the street food in check, we can get rid of all those prostitutes. Then stop selling gum.

So you have never heard of Geylang. smile.png

And you can buy gum now.

Place has gone to the dogs.....no wonder I was able to photograph this last time I was there.

post-64834-0-54202200-1376464802_thumb.j

• Like 1

Fair enough then. But can you imagine if a bowl of noodles went from 30 to 125 baht overnight in Thailand?

I agree as well about controlling the street food a bit more, though there are some great places around my neighborhood that I would hate to see shut down, esp. as nothing else is open as late as they are.

Why would a bowl of noodles go from 30 baht to 125 baht overnight?

• Like 2

I didn't want to read anymore when this guy feels that a mere 2-1/2 years in Bangkok makes him an authority about ANYTHING there.

But lets take a look at this ludicrous article.

First of all, the price of street food should tell anybody with even an ounce of common sense that it's not going to be artisan quality product or <deleted>' organic. Let's get real.

Second, he goes on about how it worsens the problem of rats and similar vermin. Well, the real attraction for the vermin in streets like Bangkok's is the garbage -- it's placed by the street side in great quantities by restaurants, residents, and other business. There's a hell of a lot more of that than there is waste/refuse from the street vendors.

Once again, common sense should kick in and make people realize that cleanliness standards (dish cleaning, etc) are probably going to be compromised at a street stall, so one makes their choice knowing that.

Does this guy really think that MSG is ONLY used in street food?

Now, as for the ambiance offered by a street vendor, roadside eating is not everybody's cup of tea, but isn't the romantic image of a sidewalk cafe in Paris iconic in the world of dining? Some people love to eat out near the street to enjoy the parade of life as it passes by. Others feel an air-conditioned restaurant is better. each to their own. If this guy had his way and all the street vendors were forced inside, it would be just plain sad.

Finally, his whole sorry attempt at junior journalism reeks of someone who travels to another country and decides that he's going to be the one to set these people straight and make them see that his way is the only way. An embarrassing display of arrogance and naivety, I would say.

Absolutely agree - the whole article is nonsense.

Considering the sheer qty of street food vendors in BKK - they are of course going to be of varied quality. Still, in my 15 years here, I've never gotten sick from street food.

I have quite a few favourites - the noodle guy about 200 metres into Sukhumvit 65 does a roaring trade and the food is excellent, I regularly go out of my way to eat there.

There will always be good and bad ones but all bad? Utter nonsense.

• Like 2

Wow! He's lived here a full 2.5 years and he is an expert on Bangkok street food! And here after 12 years the only thing I know for sure is that there is a lot more to know. I guess he must be some kind of genius. He is certainly an expert on the affluent narcissism that is the organic food cult. As for Singapore, the last time I had food poisoning it was from eating at a 5 star hotel restaurant in Singapore. I've never gotten sick from Bangkok street food.

• Like 1

There are plenty of cheap 'almost on the street' but not blocking the footpath places that serve quality food (with decent looking and tasting) meat for 35 baht in Bangkok.

It's that type of place that you will find me if I want cheap eats.

• Like 1