Google Maps car stopped in Phrae, Thailand; driver accused of being govt spy

webfact

The villagers are right, only wrong government, it's not the Thai government, it's the US that uses Google to spy on us all over the world. Google maps is an essential part of it, combined with info from our email and what we all post on Facebook so they have a very detailed picture of what we do exactly where and when.

Better dig an underground tunnel and hide

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villagers got suspicious when he ordered lao khao, shaken not stirred at the local hooch joint.

clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Also when he said ............."The name's Fufong, Dephrom Fufong"........... in a deep Scottish accent.

I think it's kind of charming. Google isn't always your friend. They aimed to do no evil, but their execution of that ideal has been questionable.

Exactly. Think of the various government agencies all over the world Google is in bed with. And how they collect and hand over whatever information they're told to collect and hand over. This may be an exterme over-reaction, but is it surprising people are suspicious?

Lets put it this way, if one is not involved in any crime, one does not even think about things like this.

Personally i could not care less what Google knows about me, i am not hiding anything and i also highly doubt Google on any government agency on this planet has a capability to spy on entire world population.

Yes they have some systems in place and computer may single you out if you frequent or search some terms for example how to make bombs or pedophile related or industrial terms

I think it's kind of charming. Google isn't always your friend. They aimed to do no evil, but their execution of that ideal has been questionable.

Exactly. Think of the various government agencies all over the world Google is in bed with. And how they collect and hand over whatever information they're told to collect and hand over. This may be an exterme over-reaction, but is it surprising people are suspicious?

Lets put it this way, if one is not involved in any crime, one does not even think about things like this.

Personally i could not care less what Google knows about me, i am not hiding anything and i also highly doubt Google on any government agency on this planet has a capability to spy on entire world population.

Yes they have some systems in place and computer may single you out if you frequent or search some terms for example how to make bombs or pedophile related or industrial terms

"Lets put it this way, if one is not involved in any crime, one does not even think about things like this."

You may think that, but it doesn't change the reality: that it's not true at all. Totalitarianism throughout history has never been entirely imposed on human populations, but has always been welcomed by those oppressed by it with varying degrees of enthusiasm. You're saying that you trust every government and company in the world, and every government and company that will ever exist from now onwards?

You'd better hope that when it comes to you, there will be people who care for your liberty enough to fight for it, even as you trample on theirs.

• Like 2

This is an ongoing conversation, so I will ask a question which relates.

Do you have curtains on your bedroom window? If so, and you have nothing to hide, why?

• Like 2

"Lets put it this way, if one is not involved in any crime, one does not even think about things like this."

You may think that, but it doesn't change the reality: that it's not true at all. Totalitarianism throughout history has never been entirely imposed on human populations, but has always been welcomed by those oppressed by it with varying degrees of enthusiasm. You're saying that you trust every government and company in the world, and every government and company that will ever exist from now onwards?

You'd better hope that when it comes to you, there will be people who care for your liberty enough to fight for it, even as you trample on theirs.

Hear hear

This is an ongoing conversation, so I will ask a question which relates.

Do you have curtains on your bedroom window? If so, and you have nothing to hide, why?

I have a see through curtains and i have it because i do not want to scare my neighbors if they see my hairy bottom.

• Like 1

If that is your way of thinking, then why you don't use your real name on this forum and have your picture as avatar ?

• Like 1

If that is your way of thinking, then why you don't use your real name on this forum and have your picture as avatar ?

DO you want to know my real name and see my pic? you interested in dating me? Just say so and i will be happy to share it with you

Hear hear

For some reason a tin foil hat comes to mind:thumbsup:

I'd like to ask you a question.

Do you have curtains or blinds on your window? Do you lock your front door? Do you send a copy of every email and letter you write to the government?

If you don't do any of these things, why not?

You know that governments aren't the only, or even the main problem, don't you? You know that identity theft is a massive growth industry and cybercrime is on the rise everywhere in the world? That some of these criminals have been linked to Chinese, Russian and US organised crime?

Just keep your eyes closed. Then you can pretend it's not happening.

Hear hear

For some reason a tin foil hat comes to mind:thumbsup:

I'd like to ask you a question.

Do you have curtains or blinds on your window? Do you lock your front door? Do you send a copy of every email and letter you write to the government?

If you don't do any of these things, why not?

You know that governments aren't the only, or even the main problem, don't you? You know that identity theft is a massive growth industry and cybercrime is on the rise everywhere in the world? That some of these criminals have been linked to Chinese, Russian and US organised crime?

Just keep your eyes closed. Then you can pretend it's not happening.

I do not lock my front door, i do not need too, i have 3 dogs. IF i did not have dogs, i would lock it, but not because i am afraid someone will come to take a look, but because someone may come to steal.

Google is not coming to steal any of your belongings nor your liberty, you as a person is not even an interest for them, again they have systems to pick up certain terms and that is to protect the rest of the people.

They may also analyze some data and direct certain mass advertising.

Some people really sound like hysterical girls

Technically there is truth to the article. We are led to believe that this is an innocent service provided by Google, to record and map every road, lane, soi, alley in the world but with any Company/Corporation/Business being under threat of a Government agency (NSA) subpoena to turn over records/documents of any user then technically it can be used for government benefit. The same way the US Government shut down a company named Lavabit, an email encryption service that Edward Snowden was using.

Although we have had satellites for decades that can zoom in real-time and see you sitting in your back yard, in a lawn chair drinking a coke. In fact that was the example image given.

I do not lock my front door, i do not need too, i have 3 dogs. IF i did not have dogs, i would lock it, but not because i am afraid someone will come to take a look, but because someone may come to steal.

Google is not coming to steal any of your belongings nor your liberty, you as a person is not even an interest for them, again they have systems to pick up certain terms and that is to protect the rest of the people.

They may also analyze some data and direct certain mass advertising.

Some people really sound like hysterical girls

It's unfortunate that you felt that you needed to resort to insults, but I think it demonstrates that you're beginning to see the precariousness of your position.

I don't really want to clue you in on this because the more people are bending over and presenting to organised crime, the safer people are who take precautions by using more secure technologies and exercising a little awareness of the threats present on the internet. It's up to you.

http://gizmodo.com/how-google-gives-your-information-to-the-nsa-512840958

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/130595/cybercrime/235700/Identity-theft-and-invasion-of-privacy

"They may also analyze some data and direct certain mass advertising."

You're clearly an expert in these matters, but it's never too late to give your skills and knowledge an update.

Edited by RogueLeader

What it does show is that these people don't trust the Government.

As for them being stupid and uneducated, no such thing, they are only trying to protect their village and way of life in the only way open to them.

The Government has never told them or anyone else exactly what will happen when their grand scheme for flood prevention is enacted so they have every right to not trust this Government which has shown plenty of dirty tricks in the past to circumvent, intimidate and threaten the people.

In addition, for those of us who know our Thai history, the people of Song District have quite the legacy of rebellion against the forces from Bangkok.

• Like 1

Thai,s ...About as smart as a smart dog.. This has to be the dummest story to date..

Yeah, sorry mate, I take offense to that comment. But then I realised if you were smart, you would not have made it, Sorry

• Like 1

Some governments are using google maps to locate construction, remodels that haven't had permits issued, so it is not that far fetched and is a form of spying. If you were back in your home village of Stroke-in-tent or where ever, and car drove up with Thai writing all over it, cameras, etc (which I assume most can't read), wouldn't you wonder <deleted> they are doing there? More so if they were planning to run a bypass thru your rustic but useless village.....