Where are the Thai first responders ?

yasorab

Last night I witnessed a RTA at around 2am. A pick up had hit a street light in the center of the road. 2 police trucks had arrived by the time I passed together with about 5 white top traffic cops. No body was attending to the driver of the truck who was still inside and clearly not in a good way ! The police were just standing around and one directing what traffic there was at that hour passed the wreck. My question is this :- Where are the "first response" professionals in the emergency services? I never see police or fire service people going to the aid of people in distress! I have traveled to and worked in many 3rd world and developing countries over the years and for the most part ALL the police, fire and ambulance vehicles carry at least basic first aid and someone in attendance with first aid training. Don't tell me that Thailand can not afford to train and equip the essential services with some kind of first aid and training. Surely that must be better than to just stand around looking official. Surely life is not that cheap here or i it truly not a caring society !

• Like 1

Last night I witnessed a RTA at around 2am. A pick up had hit a street light in the center of the road. 2 police trucks had arrived by the time I passed together with about 5 white top traffic cops. No body was attending to the driver of the truck who was still inside and clearly not in a good way ! The police were just standing around and one directing what traffic there was at that hour passed the wreck. My question is this :- Where are the "first response" professionals in the emergency services? I never see police or fire service people going to the aid of people in distress! I have traveled to and worked in many 3rd world and developing countries over the years and for the most part ALL the police, fire and ambulance vehicles carry at least basic first aid and someone in attendance with first aid training. Don't tell me that Thailand can not afford to train and equip the essential services with some kind of first aid and training. Surely that must be better than to just stand around looking official. Surely life is not that cheap here or i it truly not a caring society !

That phrase with the words " peanuts and monkeys" springs to mind!

I have had two major motorcycle accidents, the first when I was vacationing on Koh Samui and right away some Thais stopped and loaded me into their pickup and took me to the hospital. The second in Kalasin province and a emergency rescue truck was there in minutes and an ambulance probably within 10 minutes.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have had two major motorcycle accidents, the first when I was vacationing on Koh Samui and right away some Thais stopped and loaded me into their pickup and took me to the hospital. The second in Kalasin province and a emergency rescue truck was there in minutes and an ambulance probably within 10 minutes.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good to hear the system worked for you and you are ok. Just try not to make it three times.

The system they have with volunteer pickups who are paid per job works fairly well here. Many of the people doing this do try to get some knowledge but the main purpose is to get the person to hospital as quickly as possible. Sadly this is too slow often.

i am not sure, but was thought that some injured (like spine) best not to be moved till they can be securely and safely...or more demage can be inflicted.

good deed can turn bad unintentionally.

if smaller injury it is good to help out, if a serious one, maybe it is good to stay out.

i am not sure, but was thought that some injured (like spine) best not to be moved till they can be securely and safely...or more demage can be inflicted.

if smaller injury it is good to help out, if a serious one, maybe it is good to stay out.

From what I have seen putting the patient on a spinal board and putting a collar on is the main training they have. It is better than none. General rule is do not move the patient in any way unless to get them to safety. Do as little as possible but assist breathing if needed and stop bleeding if possible. Here the ambulances are not trained paramedics. THeir job is to get the patient to hospital as soon as possible.

A friend of mine crashed his motorbike into the back of a rubbish truck. The police turned up, looked at him and with no attempt to find out if he was alive painted his outline on the road.

After a while he came to and staggered off to his bar down the road. On arrival clearly shocked and bleeding he told his story. The response....how much paint did they need?

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

From what I have seen putting the patient on a spinal board and putting a collar on is the main training they have. It is better than none. General rule is do not move the patient in any way unless to get them to safety. Do as little as possible but assist breathing if needed and stop bleeding if possible. Here the ambulances are not trained paramedics. THeir job is to get the patient to hospital as soon as possible.

Ohhh dear......

Where to start?

A. There are Paramedics in Thailand

B. Getting someone to hospital as soon as possible is not always the aim - there is the 'golden hour' however, the basis of 'stay and play' has taken foot now, and care is being delivered to stabalise the patient before taking to the ED

C. Someone with a ?spinal injury needs help and quickly

1. Check for danger and life threatening/catastrophic bleeding and deal as required

2. Immobilise the neck - manually in the first instance and then with a collar correctly sized and applied

3. Remove casualty minimising movement - this will most likely be using an extrication methodology

4. All time assessing casualty and their neurological status/airway and breathing - intervene with passive or agressive technique as required

Training in Thailand is administered by the MoPH & EMIT - this training is delivered at university and hospitals to the following levels:

EMT B

EMT I

EMT P

EMT PN

Is there room for improvement in the pre-hospital care environment in Thailand? Ohh yes - it will take time though!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ohhh dear......

Where to start?

B. Getting someone to hospital as soon as possible is not always the aim - there is the 'golden hour' however, the basis of 'stay and play' has taken foot now, and care is being delivered to stabalise the patient before taking to the ED

1. Check for danger and life threatening/catastrophic bleeding and deal as required

2. Immobilise the neck - manually in the first instance and then with a collar correctly sized and applied

3. Remove casualty minimising movement - this will most likely be using an extrication methodology

4. All time assessing casualty and their neurological status/airway and breathing - intervene with passive or agressive technique as required

Training in Thailand is administered by the MoPH & EMIT - this training is delivered at university and hospitals to the following levels:

EMT B

EMT I

EMT P

EMT PN

Is there room for improvement in the pre-hospital care environment in Thailand? Ohh yes - it will take time though!

Well I guess the it will take time though! part applied to this reply too. smile.pngsmile.png

It is good that things are improving. and I agree quite quickly but I still stand by my post. It may not apply everywhere but sadly it is not here yet. I know training is being done and some people are quite competent. Can you honestly say this has reached all the smaller parts of Thailand yet. I would love to be proved wrong.

How many paramedics have recieved training so far at each of these levels?

Ohhh dear......

Where to start?

EMT B

EMT I

EMT P

EMT PN

Based on your post it seems you are educated in the area. I wonder if there are any teaching opportunities for retired RN/Paramedic from the US? Just a thought. Its not about the money (because truely there would not be much) but it is about teaching the first responders and citizens about adequate emergency and first aid treatment. Have to wait and see about the current political climate, but it is worth looking into.