American man walks into Phuket police station, stabs self

webfact

Starts out like a joke! Was expecting a punchline.

OK. OK.

1) He claimed that the man that had been following him attacked him.

2) It turns out that the hospital has stainless toilets.

3) His cell did not actually have a toilet.

4) The police could not find a pieces of broken porcelain so he must have given it to you-know-who.

5) The man who was following him (aka you-know-who) was actually from immigration.

6) Evidence that an overstay in Thailand (legal or not) can be hazardous to one's (psychological at least) health.

Just can't make it to 10, today. Sorry. Must check my overstay status soon.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

Very dubious account from the Chalong police. I have experience with them and have never received anything resembling what is called Justice in any situation. While police do not watch the cells closely, they are close by. There is a body check performed on prisoners before they are put into a cell, so whoever stabbed this man was either allowed into the cell with a weapon or it outright is a case of violence against an unarmed citizen. Of course it's possible the American did stab himself, but since there was no interview of him, only the police account has been published. I have never experienced one single honest response from the Chalong police, in addition to never receiving any justice in every case I have brought to them, not just regarding other Thai people ripping me off, but in every way, they won't even give correct information to basic questions. Then they smirk and laugh like monkeys afterwards, it's like watching evil performing various forms of violence wearing uniforms. This post will probably either be deleted or pushed out of the forum, but I just can't don't believe this story of a man stabbing himself in the throat for having an expired visa.

Can only but agree ..

An interesting part in the article is that police was not watching.

That's very strange, because police never watch cells, so why bring up something that does not exist?

He was obviously not serched properly.

They can't admit to placing him in the cell with a weapon, so, it had to be the porcelain whilst they were not looking.

May be, but i do not think over stayers need to be searched as they are no criminals( they are but its little different i think)

Anyhow the story stinks from start to finish in my opinion

• Like 1

Yeah Chalong police station would be a life time job for the DSI...............

What ever happened to the guy whose kids were found in the well while he was overseas attending a wedding? I believe there was a stand off between Chalong and Surin police over it and Surin was told to back off!!!

He lost his (6 I think) houses, one is now owned by the commander of Chalong police station’s sister.......!!!!

TIT

''Police have been unable to find the weapon the American used to stick himself with, but believe it may have been a sliver of porcelain from the sink or toilet in the cell.''

So now the guy is sitting in the hospital with something short and sharp....brilliant

So... is it possible that the man stopped in the police station out of fear of the person following him. The police then discovered he was an illegal overstay, so instead of getting help, they put him in a cell. Words were exchanged, ala "I came here for help, and you ?!.? lock me up, which caused some honorable Thai policeman to loose face. The cop(s) go into the cell and cut the guy's throat. Just another mysterious suicide in a police cell. Unfortunately, if this completely speculative theory were true, he would stand little (if any) chance of recovering from his "self inflicted" wounds, as he would then be able to identify attackers!

Edited by atsiii
  • Like 1

So... is it possible that the man stopped in the police station out of fear of the person following him. The police then discovered he was an illegal overstay, so instead of getting help, they put him in a cell. Words were exchanged, ala "I came here for help, and you ?!.? lock me up, which caused some honorable Thai policeman to loose face. The cop(s) go into the cell and cut the guy's throat. Just another mysterious suicide in a police cell. Unfortunately, if this completely speculative theory were true, he would stand little (if any) chance of recovering from his "self inflicted" wounds, as he would then be able to identify attackers!

I am also familiar with Chalong Police Station. To call it a police station is stretching the limits of the average person's understanding of what a police station is. This is a cesspit of corruption and illegality.

If your supposition is true, and it is not beyond the realms of possibility in that place, then I do not think the police would give a hoot. He would probably have to return to make the report in Chalong Police Station anyway and that report written in Thai would clearly point out just How he fell onto the pointed object being shown to him by the wonderfully kind and upstanding police officer. This would all be graciously translated by the scumbag tourist police lackey they have there except of course the translation would be a twisted travesty of the real contents.

Stay as far away from the police as possible - the injured American obviously is mentally impaired for thinking he could go to the police in Chalong for help, and deserves appropriate medical help.

As for the genius police who cannot find the implement used to commit the violation of this man's throat whilst locked up in their cell, well I guess it sums up the beyond incredulous incompetence of the Royal Thai Police. Why they are allowed to connect themselves with the word 'Royal' is also beyond reasoning.

• Like 1

American slashes own throat at Phuket police station
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- An American man slashed his own throat with a broken tile at Chalong Police Station Wednesday night after allegedly causing a ruckus at a local Phuket school.

Police were called to Muang Phuket School in Rawai Wednesday evening and quickly found the shouting American, who police have yet to identify publicly.

“We brought him to the police station,” Lt Col Chamroon Playduang of the Chalong Police said.

Police asked the 33-year-old man for his passport and found that his permit to stay had expired.

“He looked mentally unstable, so we detained him at the police station to allow him to calm down.

“While in our custody, the man broke a tile in his cell and used it to make three deep gashes across his throat,” Col Chamroon told the Phuket Gazette.

Rescue workers were called, and the man was rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Though deep, the wounds were not fatal.

The man has been released from hospital and his case has been handed over to Phuket Immigration, Lt Col Chamroon Playduang of the Chalong Police said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/American-slashes-own-throat-at-Phuket-police-station-21969.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-16

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- An American man slashed his own throat with a broken tile at Chalong Police Station Wednesday night after allegedly causing a ruckus at a local Phuket school.

Police were called to Muang Phuket School in Rawai Wednesday evening and quickly found the shouting American, who police have yet to identify publicly.

“We brought him to the police station,” Lt Col Chamroon Playduang of the Chalong Police said.

Police asked the 33-year-old man for his passport and found that his permit to stay had expired.

“He looked mentally unstable, so we detained him at the police station to allow him to calm down.

“While in our custody, the man broke a tile in his cell and used it to make three deep gashes across his throat,” Col Chamroon told the Phuket Gazette.

The man has been released from hospital and his case has been handed over to Phuket Immigration, Lt Col Chamroon Playduang of the Chalong Police said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/American-slashes-own-throat-at-Phuket-police-station-21969.html

pglogo.jpg

So we have two similar incidents, one guy walks into the police station and tries to slash his own throat and then the 2nd guy was causing an incident at a public school and conveyed to the police station where he to tries to slash his own throat. Must be something in the water at the police station.

Maybe I am wrong, but:

the man walked in at about 8pm claiming that someone was following him

While they were not looking, however, the American stabbed himself three times in the throat with something short but sharp.

- isn't it possible that the person who was following him stabbed him (while the police weren't looking) ????

TV detective solved the case again, good work :-)

Phuket Gazette

pglogo.jpg

So we have two similar incidents, one guy walks into the police station and tries to slash his own throat and then the 2nd guy was causing an incident at a public school and conveyed to the police station where he to tries to slash his own throat. Must be something in the water at the police station.

As usual the first report was shoddy at best. Now let's hope the second report is better, which sometimes is the case.

Phuket Gazette

pglogo.jpg

As usual the first report was shoddy at best. Now let's hope the second report is better, which sometimes is the case.

Maybe the second article is just reporting the second version of events, according to the police. :) :)

The thought of having to return to America where the women look straight past him instead of telling him how young and sexy he looks proved too much for him.

He is wanted in his home state under the ten second rule. His eyes fleetingly met the gaze of a passing woman and he is now being charged with statutory rape

Better to die on the floor of a Thai police station than return to the States 'God Bless America'

• Like 1

It may just be crappy reporting, but I find it astounding that a guy can stab himself in a cell with a sharp instrument and the police are unable to find the instrument. It can hardly be a fully furnished 3 bedroom residence can it?

They suspect that it may be a 'slither of porcelain' from the sink or toilet' - for a start that is one posh cell if it has a sink and toilet and second, erm.... guys, is the sink or toilet broken - that would be a major clue wouldn't it?

They should've looked down the bog to get flushed with success on this investigation!

The thought of having to return to America where the women look straight past him instead of telling him how young and sexy he looks proved too much for him.

He is wanted in his home state under the ten second rule. His eyes fleetingly met the gaze of a passing woman and he is now being charged with statutory rape

Better to die on the floor of a Thai police station than return to the States 'God Bless America'

Delusional post of the day !

Really, Sherlock? Maybe you should write fantasy novels...