Automatic Garage Door

phibunmike

Well, I have done my duty and spent a certain amount of time searching the forum, to no avail...

Does anyone know:

a ) Where I can buy an automatic garage door opener (and driveway gate opener, sliding gate) ?

b ) What type of garage door is best for use with one: solid up-and-over, or roll-up type ?

My garage door opening is 3m wide by 2.35m high.

I am in Ubon Ratchathani, so locally would obviously be better, but anywhere as a last resort...

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by phibunmike

Most people do not have closed garage here so I expect you will be paying a premium price for any such door. I have never bought anything from this firm but they do sell the type of equipment you are asking about.

http://www.lfbautomation.com/

Thanks very much for that link lopburi3 - my garage doubles as a store room which is why I want the door. :o

Edited by phibunmike

Well, I have done my duty and spent a certain amount of time searching the forum, to no avail...

Does anyone know:

a ) Where I can buy an automatic garage door opener (and driveway gate opener, sliding gate) ?

b ) What type of garage door is best for use with one: solid up-and-over, or roll-up type ?

I am in Ubon Ratchathani, so locally would obviously be better, but anywhere as a last resort...

Thanks,

Mike

I have seen driveway gate openers, outside of Homepro on the 1st floor ( near the outside air conditioners) Not sure of the price.

Does anyone know:

Thanks,

Mike

I have seen driveway gate openers, outside of Homepro on the 1st floor ( near the outside air conditioners) Not sure of the price.

Thanks, is that in Ubon ? What street, I do think I have seen it...

I'm sure these units of measure are going to need some translation - but most of the garage door openers I have seen use 1/2 horsepower motors. When they start up they draw a lot of power and you can see the lights dim.

So be sure to check out the current amperage draw on them too. Not sure what you might get if you have the fridge, A/C, and TV on when the door starts up. :o

kenk3z

I'm sure these units of measure are going to need some translation - but most of the garage door openers I have seen use 1/2 horsepower motors. When they start up they draw a lot of power and you can see the lights dim.

So be sure to check out the current amperage draw on them too. Not sure what you might get if you have the fridge, A/C, and TV on when the door starts up. :D

kenk3z

Good point keknk3z, I should have thought about that before...

However, if memory serves me well, 1/2 hp would be about 380 watts (power output of motor). If we assume efficiency of 50 %, that would mean less than 1 kw load - something like a kettle ? I no nothing about efficiency of electric motors, so perhaps I am way off :o Of course, the initial draw might be a lot higher...

Really it is only the initial momentary power draw that might cause a problem. The motor will need to draw a lot of electrical power to get enough torque to start. Then it will "settle down" and only draw a moderate amount.

Since it is only a momentary "brownout" on your power, it probably will not cause you any problem. It depends on how well your other household electrical equipment can handle the voltage dip - most can. Some devices like computers may or may not drop their internal voltage level enough to reboot, for example. No problem with a laptop since it has batteries - a desktop may need a UPS.

This may be a much less of a concern given you have a higher voltage power system than here in the USA.

kenk3z

Hi, here is an address in Bkk for you to check out. http://www.highproject1990.com/

off road >> Thanks :o

kenk3z >> Yes, I think the initial draw is the only concern, but should be ok. My water heater dims lights (halogen spots, the high efficiency bulbs are ok) and stops fans, but the desktop / tv etc. keep running.

Edit>> Water heater is several WBP (water buffalo power)

Edited by phibunmike

• 2 weeks later...
An oz friend mentioned them auto gate openers can be had there for same as 20k.

In case any one else is interested, I had this quotation from highproject1990:

Martin Garage door for door opening 3m .wide x 2.5m high price is 57,000 Bath + Martin opener is 37,000 Bath.

The price for swing opener is 42,000 Bath and sliding opener is 35,500 Bath.For the sliding and swing gate we do not produce the gate we do only automatic system.

Transport charge for installation at Ubon Rajthani is 8,000 Bath.

Thanks all...

Given the cheapness of labour would it not be better to consider a little man who might do? If you were to give him a whistle and a rather fetching uniform he could also double up as a security measure.

Effective automated ingress seems to elude most suppliers in the West so God knows how the Thai version will perform....

• 3 years later...

One of the earlier posts named "High Project". This company do all types of openers etc. and although they are a Bangkok firm they do travel around Isaan to fit them.

I live in Korat and they came and fitted a sliding gate closer for me at no extra charge, and at 19,000 baht I was well chuffed. The only thing is you may have to wait for them to have a couple of jobs in the area. They had been to Khon Kaen when they came to me.

HL :)