PM's Office minister defends Yinluck's travel expenses

webfact

BUDGET DEBATE
PM's Office minister defends Yinluck's travel expenses

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- PM's Office Minister Varathep Ratanakorn Thursday said all spending of funds from the government's central budget in cases of emergency and for other necessities such as the prime minister's official trips required the approval not only of the prime minister, but of the Cabinet as a whole.

The Cabinet did not always grant such spending requests, he added.

He was speaking in the Parliament during the Budget 2014 Debate to respond to the Opposition’s accusation that the premier spent the country’s budget to go overseas trip.

Varathep said spending on Yingluck's trips abroad was necessary - especially for trips made at other countries' invitation - as this is her first term and she had to strengthen international relations. Spending was always done according to the regulations, the minister said.

The biggest portion of travel costs went towards airfares. For each of the years 2011 and 2012, the budget for airfares was set at Bt61 million. The airfare budget was set at Bt80 million for 2013, while Bt55 million was set for next year, he said.

Meanwhile, Varathep said there had been no budget allocation for Yingluck's proposed political reform council.

The House voted 291:126 to pass Article 4 of the 2014 Budget Bill on the allocation of the central budget, following the Vetting Committee's proposal that Bt343 billion be approved for the central budget, down from Bt345 billion originally.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-16

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is 220 k USD PER MONTH.

Please, how many people does she take with her. This really is taking the p**s.

I can;'t believe that the CEO of GE, or Microsoft costs a remotely similar figure.

Not a particularly large expenditure on an annual basis. Keep in mind that the PM will travel with a large number of civil servants, including under ministers and senior bureaucrats, along with their support staff when she is on a state visit. If it is a trade mission, the PMO will often subsidize accompanying business leaders airfares. This is how it is done in Asia. Keep in mind that the PMO is usually obliged to charter a TG aircraft since it does not have access to a dedicated airplane.

You reference GE and Microsoft. Ok, you want to do a comparison. What is the annual travel expense for the CEO of these companies, and why do you think these companies are comparable to a large country government?

• Like 1

While the cost of the PM's trips seems exorbitant, remember that they must be off-set by the fuel savings from her limo not taking her to parliament.

Cute.

Do you think that the PM of a large Asian country with a robust economy should take the bus?

I don't. Why would you expect the PM to do that? Are you going to guarantee the PM's security?

• Like 1

What portion is for airfare and what portion is placed in their pocket written off as 'travel fare'?

I'll say zero. Do you have information to show otherwise, or is this just a malicious intimation motivated by jealousy?

You both don't know. and never will.

Why is Thailand going bankrupt, where did the money go???? Look at where our Prime Minister travels, and you know the answer...giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

On what basis do you make the statement Thailand is going bankrupt?

Apparently, you think it is funny to make a false and misleading statement like that. I do not. Get back to me once you have read the Thai national budget and national "balance sheet". I hope you have the ability to read a financial statement and to understand "big numbers".

• Like 2

What portion is for airfare and what portion is placed in their pocket written off as 'travel fare'?

I'll say zero. Do you have information to show otherwise, or is this just a malicious intimation motivated by jealousy?

Incorrect logic. In the absence of any evidence to support an allegation of misappropriation, we do not make such allegations.

Lets take a moment to review this playpen of reasoning offered first by the 'Foreign minister' and now by the PM's office.

The former, if he had sh.t for brains would not smell. The follow up by the Pm's office spokesman would indicate he has the same intelligence as the foreign minister.

Forty trips abroad at the request of foreign nations was mentioned, was this for her input for problem solving, speech making ability or other purposes?

Was Thailand compensated for the expenses incurred by the PM, paid a fee for her professional input , based on her extensive experience? Thailand, seems to offer these incentives to foreign consultants.

The PM seems to be able to miss Thai parliment and weekly 'PM talks to the people' tv' , even when invited, why does she feel obligated to travel at another countries invention?

The PM assumed the roll of Defense Minister, with her record of foreign travel, why not take the Foreign affairs position, as well?

The record of this government in spending, putting incompent cronies/family into positions of sucking on a teat for personal gain, running rough shod over the population, is criminal. Just find the Thai law/regulation, its there somewhere, and then find a route thru the judical system, to take them to task.

• Like 1

While the cost of the PM's trips seems exorbitant, remember that they must be off-set by the fuel savings from her limo not taking her to parliament.

Cute.

Do you think that the PM of a large Asian country with a robust economy should take the bus?

I don't. Why would you expect the PM to do that? Are you going to guarantee the PM's security?

Did anyone mention a BUS ???? Posters are saying because of the position Thailand is in at the minute there should be limits with this kind of extravagant expense. TRIPS o.k. permanently missing is another story.

So we get the subject of 4 new aircraft ??? plus the unpublished amount of persons traveling with her. Naturally she needs advisers etc but the orders for 4 aircraft takes the biscuit.

When you see this extravagance why don't you question it a bit rather than outright defend the cabinet decisions on the subject.

Maybe because you rarely criticize government actions makes me think you are afraid of someone knocking on you door.

• Like 2

Incorrect logic. In the absence of any evidence to support an allegation of misappropriation, we do not make such allegations.

Doesn't seem to be the case on here, imo.

I can;'t believe that the CEO of GE, or Microsoft costs a remotely similar figure.

Not a valid comparison.The comparison is with the Prime Ministers/Presidents of economically similar sized countries in the region - say Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.By that correct comparison the budget looks very reasonable particularly as Khun Yingluck has significantly improved Thailand's overseas image after the incompetence and stupidity of the Abhisit/Kasit regime's efforts overseas.

You said "I'll say zero" Who the dickens are you to say this, like your word is gospel. My reply was nearer the mark than yours. You are always asking posters to back up what they say--so you'll say ZERO so back up your comment please.

• Like 1

Why is Thailand going bankrupt, where did the money go???? Look at where our Prime Minister travels, and you know the answer...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Apparently, you think it is funny to make a false and misleading statement like that. I do not. Get back to me once you have read the Thai national budget and national "balance sheet". I hope you have the   ability to read a financial statement and to understand "big numbers".

Thailand is approximately 50% of GDP in debt and growing.

Expenditure is greater than income and growing.

Imports now exceed exports and growing.

Given the above, a 2.2 trillion loan over 50 years and a wavering Moody's rating which would vastly increase interest payments I'd say he was about right.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

This is amazing, 24 posts and NO like this buttons pressed, is it because the subject is the P.M. ??? So the fear is there, bad times must be ahead.

When the fear like this is present then it's got to be time to get off the air, I am sorry it is moving in that direction.

Maybe the mods can have a more definite line to draw, posters are fearing, because we do not know what is safe to do or not to do. Maybe we can not express like before and be silent objectors like the Thai population. FEAR.

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif I don't think the real issue is the amount of the PM's travel expenses.

What the Thai public (or at least many of them) would really like to know is what the PM has done on those trips ... was the expense worth the cost?

People will have their own opinion on that, but at least a few Thais would say no, the expense wasn't worth the results.

That's the question the PM should answer to her critics .... for all that money, what did you do for us worth the expense?

rolleyes.gif

Why is Thailand going bankrupt, where did the money go???? Look at where our Prime Minister travels, and you know the answer...giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

Apparently, you think it is funny to make a false and misleading statement like that. I do not. Get back to me once you have read the Thai national budget and national "balance sheet". I hope you have the ability to read a financial statement and to understand "big numbers".

Thailand is approximately 50% of GDP in debt and growing.

Expenditure is greater than income and growing.

Imports now exceed exports and growing.

Given the above, a 2.2 trillion loan over 50 years and a wavering Moody's rating which would vastly increase interest payments I'd say he was about right.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Moody's adjustment in Thailand's rating was essentially a technical one applying a changed methodology in assessing local currency risk.

https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-adjusts-country-ceilings-for-Thailand-Oman-and-Mongolia--PR_277902

Money quote:

"The adjusted local currency ceilings are consistent with the methodological framework which positions the ceiling against Thailand's Sovereign Bond rating of Baa1 and Sovereign Bond Methodology factor scores, three of which are the key drivers of the ceiling. In Thailand's case, these consist of a 'moderate' assessment of Economic Strength, a 'moderate' assessment of Institutional Strength and a 'low shaded to moderate' assessment of susceptibility to political, economic or institutional event risks.

The adjustment in the short-term FC bond ceiling stems from Moody's assessment of low transfer and convertibility risks given the country's ability and willingness to service both its public and private cross-border debt obligations. This view is supported by Thailand's healthy external liquidity position, characterized by low external debt and ample foreign exchange reserves."

The overall Moody's conclusion on Thailand was therefore very positive as the release above demonstrates.Needless to say it was ignored/censored in the political coverage by the English language press (The Nation and Bangkok Post) though it was mentioned in the business pages.There is I suppose an excuse for the usual suspects on the forum who don't really understand the issues and lack the capacity to be analytical.I'm not sure there's an excuse for the English language press (that is the reactionary editorial side not the occasional guest columnist who talks good sense)

Edited by jayboy

Not a particularly large expenditure on an annual basis. Keep in mind that the PM will travel with a large number of civil servants, including under ministers and senior bureaucrats, along with their support staff when she is on a state visit. If it is a trade mission, the PMO will often subsidize accompanying business leaders airfares. This is how it is done in Asia. Keep in mind that the PMO is usually obliged to charter a TG aircraft since it does not have access to a dedicated airplane.

You reference GE and Microsoft. Ok, you want to do a comparison. What is the annual travel expense for the CEO of these companies, and why do you think these companies are comparable to a large country government?

They ceos probably travel more. Just don't understand how many hangers on she takes. Royal family of UK is about 100 mn per year.

All just seems a bit excessive.

I have no idea of what there expenses are.

Also when you take into comparison you should take into account that they are the head officers in a prospering company one that does not owe more money than they can possibly pay back and have no plans of putting the company into a further debt that will require 50 years to Pay back.

The Thai government under the Shinawatara's is exactly opposite. They lose money every time they open their mouth and have no plans to pay back their debt. To get to this point they had to turn over a huge bill to another Government division or they would not have been able to get the loans to get as low as they have now.

• Like 2