Qatari Telco plans 3G rollout in Myanmar by early 2014

SeaVisionBurma

Qatari telco sets sights on 3G By Jeremy Mullins | Sunday, 18 August 2013 From the Myanmar Times

Qatar-based telco Ooredoo aims to launch 3G mobile services in Myanmar next year, rolling out coverage of 35 to 40 percent of the population in the first year of operations, according to the senior representative for Ooredoo in Myanmar, Ross Cormack.

The firm was one of two successful applicants alongside Norway’s Telenor for Myanmar mobile licences in June, catching attention with plans to invest US$15 billion over the first 15 years of domestic operations.

Ooredoo expects to review and receive the actual licence later this year and put up a $200 million performance bond after the government has published the telecoms law, Mr Cormack said a Yangon press conference Friday.

“We estimate we will launch six months after receiving the license, so next year” he said.

Read the full article on The Myanmar Times website here: http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/business/technology/7850-qatari-telco-sets-sights-on-3g.html

It certainly sounds like Myanmar will be well-connected with the new 3G network. But how will the network be powered? Will they be building hundreds of microwave towers each with it's own internal generator, or a central power station to run the grid, or parts of the grid in different regions of the country?

Most of Yangon still has lengthy power outages most days, and even Nay Pyi Taw is starting to have the same. I can't see major businesses that run power intensive infrastructure such as factories e.g. garment industry, be able to invest in the country until the power source problems are sorted out. That could be years coming.

It certainly sounds like Myanmar will be well-connected with the new 3G network. But how will the network be powered? Will they be building hundreds of microwave towers each with it's own internal generator, or a central power station to run the grid, or parts of the grid in different regions of the country?

Most of Yangon still has lengthy power outages most days, and even Nay Pyi Taw is starting to have the same. I can't see major businesses that run power intensive infrastructure such as factories e.g. garment industry, be able to invest in the country until the power source problems are sorted out. That could be years coming.

I used to work for a cement company here in Thailand, as a English teacher to the staff. One of my students, an engineer, was asked to do a feasibility study to build a power plant in northern Laos. His conclusion was that it was not feasible. The project was approved anyway.