Best Quality Paint Store in CM?

ThaiHerbs

The concrete surface surrounding our house (driveway etc) has been deteriorating to the point the green algae had taken over. I used to spray a water/bleach mixture occasionally which worked for a while but it completely got away from me. Looked terrible.

We just had 120sq meters of tile installed to cover all the concrete and it looks great! Wow, what an improvement.

Now we have to re-paint the house exterior and perimiter concrete walls to match with the tile. It needs to be done anyway as even tho the house is only 6yo they used a very mediocre quality paint that is showing its age now.

Can anyone recommend a paint outlet in CM who supplies good quality paint, excellent selection, and some decent customer support. I don't mind paying a bit extra for higher quality paint and service as getting the best match for color tones will make a tremendous difference to the end result, plus I don't want to take a chance of cheaper paint blistering and peeling in a couple years.

thanks!

Doug

My 2 cents, as you have already discovered, is that using cheap paint is a disaster in the making. So not worth it.

The brand that i use is TOA. It's not the cheapest, nor the most expensive, but suits for most purposes. It comes in a wide variety of colours and can be used for a number of different purposes. If you're really determined to drop top dollar then you could go with Dulux or one of the other imports.

As for which store to purchase from, it depends on your location. I think it's best to find somewhere close to you as you may end up making multiple trips. If you have seen one of those places near you with the big TOA sign then they'd be as good as any. They're specialty is paint sales and are helpful and well priced.

As with most hardware/housing material etc retail experiences here, don't expect to encounter too much spoken English.

• Like 2

Go to Global Warehouse and check out the 'Delta' washable emulsion. Use two good coats and it will last a very long time; and of course you can wash it when it starts to look iffy. Not cheap but they usually give you a free T shirt and tell you that if you bring the pot top back they will refund you 50 Baht on the door on the way in.

I second TOA , not ridiculously expensive but pretty durable.

If you end up buying from Global or Home Pro (or actually many others), you will notice that the paint is all mixed in their little machine. They then write it down in a book. Take a photo of what they write with date on your phone. Because when you come back it can take an hour to find your details in this little book if you forget the date !!

We used TOA Extrashield for exterior.

If you go to the paint/ building supplies on the Mae On road they actually have someone who knows about paint, which is a rarity!

• Like 1

Used Dulux Weathershield Ultima inside and out. It's a washable acrylic, and six years out it's doing great. Last year I was able to use a large car wash sponge to wash the entire exterior in an hour or two and still looks like new.

• Like 1

If you end up buying from Global or Home Pro (or actually many others), you will notice that the paint is all mixed in their little machine. They then write it down in a book. Take a photo of what they write with date on your phone. Because when you come back it can take an hour to find your details in this little book if you forget the date !!

We used TOA Extrashield for exterior.

If you go to the paint/ building supplies on the Mae On road they actually have someone who knows about paint, which is a rarity!

Never buy mixed paint, because regardless how good they write it down they will never be able to make the same color again.

If you want paint, choose your color in the catalog from the manufacturer of your choice and order that number of paint at a paint dealer who has that particular brand.

Homepro or whatever DIY store is always more expensive, however with promotions they may match the price, as a paint wholesaler.

Homepro has all the top brands. Berger, Dulux etc. Same prices as Global, etc. And the paint staff are very helpful.

But all the hardware stores will have only the base paints and mix the color of your choice, while a paint dealer will have the color of your choice as it is produced at the manufacturer.

If he hasn't stock he will be able to order it within 2-3 days.

I have recently painted a large house and bought all my Dulux paint in their original colors from the paint dealer.

Just once I was a few liter short and didn't want to wait 2 days so had a few liter mixed. It was later repainted, because they never get the color identical.

Ordered from the manufacturer with the color code is always same. Of course not on paint faded by the sun over time.

I also checked prices at every possible hardware shop like home pro, Global and alike since I'm a cheap charlie, and the dealer was always at least 7-10% cheaper.

Never buy mixed paint, because regardless how good they write it down they will never be able to make the same color again.

If you want paint, choose your color in the catalog from the manufacturer of your choice and order that number of paint at a paint dealer who has that particular brand.

But all the hardware stores will have only the base paints and mix the color of your choice, while a paint dealer will have the color of your choice as it is produced at the manufacturer.

If he hasn't stock he will be able to order it within 2-3 days.

I have recently painted a large house and bought all my Dulux paint in their original colors from the paint dealer.

Just once I was a few liter short and didn't want to wait 2 days so had a few liter mixed. It was later repainted, because they never get the color identical.

Ordered from the manufacturer with the color code is always same.

Good info, just what I was looking for - Thanks!

Now to choose which paint manufacturer? Likely TOA www.toagroup.com as we may sell in 2-3 years and move closer to town (daily commute a bit of a pain). We live near BigC and Macro on Hang Dong Rd. so I will look around for the closest store. None of these are close http://www.chiangmailocator.com/page-chiang-mai-paint-shops-119 but the page is likely dated.

• Like 1

If you go TOA, or whoever, avoid the cheaper lines like Four Seasons. TOA's Supershield is good and self-washing, Dulux do a similar one. Most outlets can do these paints, though I've found Home Mart (inner Super) to be about the best value, including their roof paints.

If your original paint is really crud, may be best to wash and scrape off best you can then use a primer before doing a couple coats of the above. What these guys typically do is dilute an already low quality paint with something like 50% water, basically applying as a whitewash. Crud.

• Like 1

You've gotten some very good replies to your question.

I've always found TOA paint, interior, exterior, and polyurethane varnish for woodwork, to be durable and a good value for the money.

You say, "I don't want to take a chance of cheaper paint blistering and peeling in a couple of years." But - not to insult your intelligence - this will happen even with top quality paint if the surface is not prepared properly. It should be scraped, as jackr said, wire brushed, and have a bleach solution applied if mold or mildew are present. Primer is only necessary on areas of raw cement or wood. Spot priming is all that is needed as long as the areas of old paint are adhering well and have been gone over with sandpaper or a wire brush.

Perhaps this is stating the obvious, but people who have never worked in the building trades often don't know it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

yes!! TOA

Welcome to the forum.

You've gotten off to a good start by giving me a "like" and enthusiastically endorsing TOA products. They are very good indeed, and competitively priced. But the prices do vary, as already noted, so shop around.

Happy painting, and happy posting!

• Like 1

Just finished the paint job yesterday, gf's cousin is a pro painter and he did a great job (but I was there every day as I am retired which may have helped).

We have a fairly large corner lot so 6 sides which needed quite a bit of preparation, lots of work just getting ready. Used TOA ExtraShield (2 colors, "breathable acrylic", 10 year warranty, purchased at Global Warehouse) as per excellent recommendations here. Great paint from what I can see, has a bit of a glow to it which I like - cousin also liked the choice of paint.

Thanks to all your input here!

Next to tackle the house exterior but will wait until the rainy season is finished, lots of time to play with different color combinations that will work with the new tile and exterior walls.

Doug

• Like 1