Helmet Stank 2

KRS1

I saw these on a video I was watching recently that had coverage of a Japanese bike trade show. Obviously it's a high tech solution that's no doubt not cheap in comparison to other sprays or boot/helmet dryers but pretty cool none the less.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.279440985525290.1073741827.122251247910932&type=3

Mouthwash....that's interesting....any particular brand?

nope, i was just looking around my place for something to use (no shampoo, head is shaved) ...and found an old bottle of mouthwash i kept from the Grande Sheraton.

It rinses out really easily since its so thin with minimal remnants/residue. Plus my head wont get cavities or gingivitis.

When i removed the liner and dunked the helmet in the sink and pulled it out, the capillary action removed a lot of yellow funk that shampoo didnt seem to get out.

just take a bucket, fill it with water and wash the inner parts with normal soap and let them dry under teh sun so you kill the remaining bacteria.

Another way of preventing a notorious smelly helmet is just turning it upside down right away once you take it off and letting it wait under the sun, it kills some smell.

Never wash them in a washing machine, you just destroy them.

in a washing machine which spins 1000 rpm.

Does that washer have a full exhaust & power commander :)

I have one of those semi auto washer things & it is pretty funny to watch.

One of the things I miss about the USA

good appliances

• Like 1

in a washing machine which spins 1000 rpm.

Does that washer have a full exhaust & power commander smile.png

I have one of those semi auto washer things & it is pretty funny to watch.

One of the things I miss about the USA

good appliances

mine at home is a full automatic washing machine - bought it new, i like my clothes go through hot water! - and it spins 1400 rpm man!

more than my idle on cbr500r.

i will mod it with pc5 and a pipe, good idea maniabiggrin.png

Edited by ll2

I have a shoei too rubber but cannot risk washing its 6500 thb inner parts in a washing machine which spins 1000 rpm.

OK, but this guy knows what he's talking about, I would imagine:

rubber, that guy will not pay me 6500 thb if there will be something wrong.

Possibly, if you wash it with low rpms! and cold water and put them in a bag before washing them in the washing machine with mild detergents, probably nothign will happen still i just do not want to take any chances, i am a paranoid guy on thee kind of things! just a matter or personality.

I've got an RF-1100 and a GT-Air- I would put either interior in the machine on the gentle cycle in a bag, but I understand what you're saying.wink.png

yep, i thihnk washing machine is safe too rubber under some conditions.

normally paddings for Shoei x11 cost like cheap back home but here it is 6500 thb man! - nearly one fourth of the 22k thb helmet which is crazy!

it is not about money but if something will happen to them and if i need to pay that 6500 thb, i feel like an idiot and lose face to myself.

Continued from this old thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/496429-helmet-stank/page-2

Helmet stank season is once again upon us.

This time Im well armed, Ive been using mouthwash diluted in water to remove the stank and its working quite nicely ! Posted Image

Mouthwash, never heard that one but if it works.

I usually use shampoo and it works wonders.

But a while ago when I went to one of the shops here and asked about this problem and how could I clean my helmet, the guy was thinking for a few seconds then replied: buy a new one.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just wondering if helmets are like leather shoes. Have more than one. Wear one day leave to dry out for a few days while wearing another helmet and so on. Here it could be left in a sunny spot.

Edited by VocalNeal

Continued from this old thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/496429-helmet-stank/page-2

This time Im well armed, Ive been using mouthwash diluted in water to remove the stank and its working quite nicely ! thumbsup.gif

But a while ago when I went to one of the shops here and asked about this problem and how could I clean my helmet, the guy was thinking for a few seconds then replied: buy a new one.

Mouthwash has been rinsing out very easily, when you use shampoo you have to wring it out a few times and theres still that slightly sticky residue left. I hate trying to get all the shampoo out of the foam liners. Plus shampoo has that sour smell, i dont really like (except for Johnsons)

Mouthwash works like a charm, has antibacterial stuff in it, and breaks down plague which should also be able to break down funk embedded in the helmet, and since its so thin, i think can penetrate better.

• Like 1

This time Im well armed, Ive been using mouthwash diluted in water to remove the stank and its working quite nicely ! Posted Image

Mouthwash has been rinsing out very easily, when you use shampoo you have to wring it out a few times and theres still that slightly sticky residue left. I hate trying to get all the shampoo out of the foam liners. Plus shampoo has that sour smell, i dont really like (except for Johnsons)

Mouthwash works like a charm, has antibacterial stuff in it, and breaks down plague which should also be able to break down funk embedded in the helmet, and since its so thin, i think can penetrate better.

I see. I really appreciate all the info I will definitely give it a try.

Thanks

• Like 1

i wonder if sore throat spray would work to destank helmets.

as i understand those sprays are antibacterial antiseptics?

If what you want is a antibacterial spray that also kills mold,mildew etc. & kills odors just grab a can of lysol

probably cheaper than mouthwash too. I think they come in various fresh scents

I guess I am lucky as I never have a problem with smelly helmets

But I always wipe them down & if damp at all leave them out till dry before putting in the helmet bag

lysol-spray1.jpg

Lysol_Spray_Disinfectant.jpg

Edited by mania

not sure if id want all those Lysol chemicals around my head.

sore throat spray can be ingested, so i assume would be safer. wink.png

Actually I think it is probably safe as I think I have seen it used in hospitals & hotels

Then again if one is worried probably vinegar & warm water would kill anything & be safe

Vinegar smell disappears as soon as dry

Edited by mania

My hands smell like mildew after driving my YNE. I have moldy handles. Anybody?

I've been using two helmets because I prefer the dark visor for day and clear at night. I've noticed that the helmets don't smell. Rotating them works.

Edited by Pinot