Exclusive interview: Coup leader Sonthi focused on 'peace and unity'

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Coup leader focused on 'peace and unity'

Hataikarn Treesuwan
The Nation

30212908-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Nation's Hataikarn Treesuwan spoke to General Sonthi Boonyaratglin about why a man who toppled the government led by Yingluck's brother Thaksin now wants to assist her administration.

Sonthi, who led the 2006 coup and now the Matubhum Party leader, sits in two panels appointed by the government. He is adviser to the House committee vetting an amnesty bill and part of a political reform council initiated by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Q ; How did you join the vetting panel under the government quota?

The government may have seen that my intention as chairman of the vetting committee for a reconciliation bill [last year] is compatible with the government's current proposal. Moreover, the content of the amnesty bill proposed by Pheu Thai MP Worachai Hema is largely similar to that of the reconciliation bill. Both aim to pardon people with political offences. We regard those people as individuals who love the country but think differently in solving the problems, so we want to give them amnesty.

Q : You once said in other countries, the reconciliation process often begins after the fight ends, and there is winner and loser. As Thailand is still "fighting", do you think it is the right time to push an amnesty bill now?

Negotiations often begin when one party has an advantage and the other a disadvantage. Many countries started a reconciliation process when one side lost and the other won. If we wait until that time, the country would be in disaster. So, it is better to do it when the country is not damaged.

Q : As a vetting committee member under the government quota, do you think it is an advantage or disadvantage?

I don't think of myself but I focus on the national benefit. Actually, I get nothing from this position. On the contrary, many people have negative views of me. However, I insist that if I can bring peace and unity to our country, I am willing to do it.

Q : A key Pheu Thai politician said his party has given you this role because you "tied the knot, so you must undo it".

That's not true. People who said so have wrong understanding. I do not need to tie or untie anything. What I did, I did it for the country's benefit. This comes from my inner spirit as a former soldier who is highly patriotic.

Q : What would you say to former Assets Examination Committee member Kaewsun Atibodhi, who has been appointed to the vetting committee under the Democrat Party quota, when you meet him?

We may talk about facts. We should focus on the country's issues, not personal matters. We have not met for a long time. People who think differently should sit down together and talk. Both sides can settle their differences and go forward together.

Q : What is your role as a member of the reform council?

The reform council has nothing to do with the amnesty bill. The council looks forward to developing democracy. We should determine what are obstacles to democracy and which part of the Constitution should be improved to reach a higher level of democracy.

Q : A key Pheu Thai figure said independent agencies often have assumed that the government is bad. Do you think independent agencies are the best tool to examine the government, and how should they change their role?

Judgements by independent agencies are made by only five or nine people [commissioners]. Is that sufficient for justice? What is the quality of the committees tasked with selecting members for independent agencies? Is it time for a review?

Q : How would you respond to the view that the 2006 coup has caused a rift and is destroying Thailand's democracy?

My explanation would still be the same. We staged the coup to prevent social division. I did it for the country, not for myself. If I did not act, people would have fought each other. On September 20, 2006, everyone was happy. If I did not act, it would have been a day of bloodshed.

Q : After the coup, you were regarded as a hero. Do you think your new role will make you become a hero again? Are you a sidekick to a heroine or a villain?

Don't see it that way. In democracy, there is no one hero. If you have a hero, it is tyranny. Democracy requires the majority to lead and drive forward. In a rule by the majority, you can't have a single hero.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-19

why a man who toppled the government led by Yingluck's brother Thaksin now wants to assist her administration

...because it's to his advantage, or else he wouldn't do it, duh!

yes he has no choice. Do as Thaksin says or he will send Tharit (DSI) after him.

Then he will be charged with holding an illegal coup.....

{quote]why a man who toppled the government led by Yingluck's brother Thaksin now wants to assist her administration.

Please let me correct that for you.

why a man who toppled the government led by Yingluck's brother Thaksin now wants to assist her his administration.

Edited by jbrain

We are not Thai, so we will never understand this unique Thainess!

Nor will we ever change it, no matter how rabid and obsessed our minds are over a specific shirt colour or politician's name.

Corruption has always been a component of status quo in Thailand, as well as government abuse, inefficiency, venal functionaries, veiled xenophobia and more.

The Dems had their Palm Oil scheme, The PT has the rice pledge. This is Thailand. Our opinions as resident Farangs amount to ZERO in the Thai scheme of things. Get used to it!

Chameleon:

1. A person who adjusts themselves to fit into whatever happens to be cool at the moment. Includes their appearance, their interests, their opinions, their personalities. often reffered to as 'scenesters' 'try-too-hards' or 'idiots'.

2. A chameleon is a middle-sized reptile that can change colors.
They are rather bizarre-looking, because their eyes can point in different directions.
They are famous for their ability to change their color to match their surroundings, hence the nickname, "Chameleon" given to anyone who changes with what's "Popular".

The reform council has nothing to do with the amnesty bill. The council looks forward to developing democracy

That answer is what I find particularly telling for it also says that the amnesty bill has nothing to do with democracy, or for that matter reconciliation.

I read elsewhere that the amnesty bill will only benefit 167 people, only 30 of whom are in jail.

The other 137 are all PT or red shirts who would be absolved from crimes of various degrees and, this would now have to include the gent being interviewed as he has been recruited into PT group.

Those who took part in the airport invasions and the Democrats have all said they are willing to face the courts over any charges brought against them and that consequently they don't want the amnesty bill.

This is a bill that is causing grief and division right now and without a doubt will cause more in the future.

If Democracy and reconciliation are really the aim then dropping the amnesty bills and looking into the cases of the 167 individually would be a far better way to do things.

Unless of course there are hidden agendas behind the bills.

'Peace and unity' ? A coup leader speaks. Don't they always say that ! What they really should say is "money, power and greed when I get my way". But, on the other hand, I am just a visitor here and out of the confusion the exchange rate just gets better.

why a man who toppled the government led by Yingluck's brother Thaksin now wants to assist her administration

...because it's to his advantage, or else he wouldn't do it, duh!

yes he has no choice. Do as Thaksin says or he will send Tharit (DSI) after him.

Then he will be charged with holding an illegal coup.....

Nicky , as you well know the 2007 thai constitution will not allow that.