Govt to build Bangkok-Ubon dual-track railway within 7 years

webfact

Govt to build BKK-Ubon dual-track railway within 7 years

BANGKOK, 19 Aug 2013, (NNT) - Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt is confident that the construction of the Bangkok – Ubon Ratchathani dual-track railway will be finished within 7 years, after which the people’s quality of life will be improved.

The comment came after Mr. Chadchart boarded a 3rd class diesel train in Bangkok bound for Surin province in a fact-finding mission about its service. The information will be used to support his decision whether to raise the fare on the 3rd class train as proposed.

He revealed that although the trip took longer time, it was memorable and comfortable.

He also took the opportunity to inform that the construction of dual-track railway will be implemented on five routes nationwide. The route between Bangkok and Ubon Ratchathani Province will be in the 2nd phase of the project, which should be completed within 7 years.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-19 footer_n.gif

This rail construction is a farce, 1st its this in 4 years now this in 7 years, the high speed line to CM, the Nong Khai line, the Pattaya Sattahip phase ??? narrow gauge-European standard, double track single track, Line to Malaysia ??

For gods sake government lets start 1 NOW double track, not narrow gauge and get on with it. I am nothing here but wish to say stop frigging about with--in ???years for this ??? for that. High speed start when.

All YAK YAK YAK, but nothing concrete done. Lets have a start date please.

If I told my mates I'm gonna get an Accord within 7 years they would think I'd gone off my rockercoffee1.gifsad.png.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

The current Government has been in office 2 years and I can't get a grasp on what projects have actually gone ahead...apart from some flood mitigation construction....which seems to be very half hearted and with rumours of poorly built structures, to what has been done.....(I havn't seen anything, so cant really confirm).

What else has this administration achieved???......purchased 200 clocks and lots of travel???

• Like 1

This rail construction is a farce, 1st its this in 4 years now this in 7 years, the high speed line to CM, the Nong Khai line, the Pattaya Sattahip phase ??? narrow gauge-European standard, double track single track, Line to Malaysia ??

For gods sake government lets start 1 NOW double track, not narrow gauge and get on with it. I am nothing here but wish to say stop frigging about with--in ???years for this ??? for that. High speed start when.

If I told my mates I'm gonna get an Accord within 7 years they would think I'd gone off my rockercoffee1.gifsad.png.

They say there is nothing worse in the media than giving a fool a pen.

The current Government has been in office 2 years and I can't get a grasp on what projects have actually gone ahead...apart from some flood mitigation construction....which seems to be very half hearted and with rumours of poorly built structures, to what has been done.....(I havn't seen anything, so cant really confirm).

What else has this administration achieved???......purchased 200 clocks and lots of travel???

Yingluck does not follow through with what she says? Built lots of warehouses to store rice nobody wants to buy?

The government would have more credibility If there was an infrastructure master plan. Even more credibility If it was out of political control ;) Learn to walk before running (dual track modern system implemented before even thinking about high speed). Is it me or do Thais seem not very good at planning anything?

Then there is the government saying one thing and the SRT saying something else? Who is responsible for railways in Thailand?

Edited by MaiChai
  • Like 1

I have said it before, I say it again, I have no confidence in this PTP administration, they jump about like a jack in the box , when it comes to mouthing off, anything go's, this is another pie in the sky attempt to make them look as if they are doing something , but, doing nothing at all, at this stage no budget or funding has been made available for this project, until there is , what is this hero talking about.bah.gif

Fine words, buzz words and showmanship. The minister's secret train tip wasn't so secret as the television showed footage of an interview he gave on the train to Surin.

If he kept his journey so quiet how did the camera crew know where to find him or did they just happen to be taking a 3rd class trip to Surin too ?

• Like 2

Much as I'd like to believe the man, as there will be at least 2 general elections and god knows how many different ministers in that time period, I'm afraid he has little credibility.

Of course they can't do it now, because the rice hole is sucking away all the budget.

Look at how many years from concept to construction complete for all the big projects in Thailand. Usually around 30 years or so.

It is unlikely that the Chinese will want to fund a line to Ubon R. , so it is also unlikely that this project will ever happen....

Maybe they have a better chance to actually deliver the ChiangMai to Bangkok line....

Bangkok to Ubon Ratchatani in 7 years. Yes! Seven years.

The Canadian Pacific Railway, CPR, was built from Ontario to British Columbia in less than 5 years, across thousands of miles of prairie and vast mountain ranges in the west..

Here we have an existing right of way from Bangkok to Ubon via Korat, and I believe double tracked to at least Khaeng Koi junction near Saraburi..

Why so long to engineer double trackage? Is it not a priority?

We were supposed to have HST by 2018. This more practical and sensible, IMHO.

Maybe forum members in the Isaan area can add some info.

exactly who would by an accord........cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I prefer one to a lada

I prefer one to a lada

The Russians had Ladas and there was never any food in them.rolleyes.gif

I think your being too harsh on them. If you look at their bank accounts I am sure they have achieved plenty.

I have said it before, I say it again, I have no confidence in this PTP administration, they jump about like a jack in the box , when it comes to mouthing off, anything go's, this is another pie in the sky attempt to make them look as if they are doing something , but, doing nothing at all, at this stage no budget or funding has been made available for this project, until there is , what is this hero talking about.bah.gif

So what is the difference between current administration doing nothing re rail and the administrations for the previous 30 or so years also doing NOTHING? Same same but different?

Of course Bangkok did get a good BTS and MRT system built pretty quickly but the trains out to the provinces don't seem to be of much interest to any administration

It would SEEM that with all the derailments recently that perhaps the first priority would be to FIX and upgrade the existing tracks and equipment rather than go down the HIGH SPEED track??

So what is the difference between current administration doing nothing re rail and the administrations for the previous 30 or so years also doing NOTHING? Same same but different?

Of course Bangkok did get a good BTS and MRT system built pretty quickly but the trains out to the provinces don't seem to be of much interest to any administration

It would SEEM that with all the derailments recently that perhaps the first priority would be to FIX and upgrade the existing tracks and equipment rather than go down the HIGH SPEED track??

Well they are talking about it a lot more than everyone else. it makes everyone up country think they care.

Isn't it basically flat as a pancake from korat to ubon? This build should be easy peasy.

Well they are talking about it a lot more than everyone else. it makes everyone up country think they care.

Isn't it basically flat as a pancake from korat to ubon? This build should be easy peasy.

I reckon the BTS to Nonthaburi will take just as long...or longer. And that will cost 200 baht for a trip into town! Only for the wealthy. Not sure how trains increase the quality of life for the ordinary Thai. Quality of life has a lot more than to do with infrastructure...many intangible things Yingluck and co wouldn't understand.

I prefer one to a lada

The Russians had Ladas and there was never any food in them.rolleyes.gif

I had the food stuffed in my PANTRY hose, with that I'd better Scullery out of here before your Kitchen up with me.