Ocean fish in Rimping

playyer

Want to eat more ocean fish and the fish at rimping always looks fresh.

But what is from the ocean and what is farmed???

Shrimp? Tuna? Mackerel? Grouper? Anybody know?

I assume all salmon is farmed in Norway.

GF tells me the blue crabs are from the ocean and so is the Japanese sushi squid....

Actually, the best way to buy the fish is to ask the manager of the store: Where did it come from? Frozen? Fresh? How long has it been in the store?

"Wild" fish versus farmed? Each to his own. Both have other "environmental" problems, if that is your worry. Toss your own dice.

Rimping's fish, if I am not mistaken, are basically frozen, rather than fresh to display. Go to a local market, and club and scale your own live fish onto your plate, if you want fresh. We live in the mountains! Not much seafood imported "fresh," although there is some --- for a price.

Nothing wrong in that, really, but there are some ways to check on fish that you can find on the Almighty Internet which rates better than biblical truth on fresh seafood! About farming fish there are all sorts of controversies, many of them probably drummed up, but "wild" doesn't actually mean that something tastes better or is of better (or safer) quality. So, each to his own, given certain practical advice on how to select fish to eat, like the eyes and how it smells!

I eat a lot of fish here, including sashimi, fresh fish (in local markets), display filets, and frozen packages at Rimping, and have not yet become ill from it. Taste? Old frozen sashimi grade can taste pretty awful, but it depends. We do, after all, not to repeat myself casually, live in the mountains of a country which might not have the most sophisticated transport for fresh products.

And think about all the beneficial aspects of eating fish! Fish oil from plate to your gullet is a lot more fun than fish oil in pill form from pharmaceutical jar! Especially, if you eat hamburgers! But, never mind, that takes us where we don't really want to go!

I am not sure if this is relevant to this topic but anyone know where in Chiang Mai I can but prawns that are tasty.I know they can be only frozen but they would have to come from cold water.The ones I buy in the market are so tasteless .Name/brand etc would be helpful.

I am not sure if this is relevant to this topic but anyone know where in Chiang Mai I can but prawns that are tasty.I know they can be only frozen but they would have to come from cold water.The ones I buy in the market are so tasteless .Name/brand etc would be helpful.

Sorry, you won't have any real luck here. Best move near the sea!

The banana and tiger prawns are from The Gulf of Thailand.

The big blue ones are farmed.

The Barramundi is meant to be river / estuary caught but i have heard they do farm them here. Still taste great though.

Rimping as fresh as you can get so far from the sea.

Prawns around same prices as Aussie.

Fresh oysters in the shell also very good, again Gulf of Thailand.

Never had an issue with seafood at Rimping or Makro. Both good sources.

The Gulf of Thailand prawns are not frozen at all, they come on ice, still fresh.

As it's been said here we live in the mountains far away from the sea so I suggest eating fresh water shrimp, the one's with the long blue legs, which are local, fresh and taste good! But I don't know enough about the farming techniques to comment further.

I agree with Mapguy that one has to be a bit knowledgeable in purchasing and good way with shrimp/prawns in to squeeze the head below the eyes and it should be firm and not make the head separate from the body.

But I don't agree that asking a store manager is always going to give you the correct answer your looking for. When you mean fresh it implies it's never been frozen but they might think it means it's hasn't spent too much time in their store after defrosting etc. ect. If you want to see ask one if they understand the term freshly frozen! Is it the same as frozen fresh, quickly frozen (blast or flash freezing) or frozen freshly? And as said being so far from the sea one might do better buying frozen anyways.

I buy lots of live fish at the local market (but have them club, scale and gut for me) but unfortunately I do know a bit about how they raise them and definatelty try to buy non-farmed ocean fish when possible.

Edited by junglechef

As it's been said here we live in the mountains far away from the sea so I suggest eating fresh water shrimp, the one's with the long blue legs, which are local, fresh and taste good! But I don't know enough about the farming techniques to comment further.

I agree with Mapguy that one has to be a bit knowledgeable in purchasing and good way with shrimp/prawns in to squeeze the head below the eyes and it should be firm and not make the head separate from the body.

But I don't agree that asking a store manager is always going to give you the correct answer your looking for. When you mean fresh it implies it's never been frozen but they might think it means it's hasn't spent too much time in their store after defrosting etc. ect. If you want to see ask one if they understand the term freshly frozen! Is it the same as frozen fresh, quickly frozen (blast or flash freezing) or frozen freshly? And as said being so far from the sea one might do better buying frozen anyways.

I buy lots of live fish at the local market (but have them club, scale and gut for me) but unfortunately I do know a bit about how they raise them and definatelty try to buy non-farmed ocean fish when possible.

Seafood from farms is the equivalent of chickens in "battery houses". They cant move around much at all and are swimming in their own excrement.

Try and go "free range / organic" if possible.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/oceans/aquaculture/shrimp-farming/

After reading this article tell me how good you think the ones with the "long blue legs" taste.

You can get ocean prawns for the same price here, albeit smaller ones.

Edited by DaamNaam
  • Like 1

Seafood from farms is the equivalent of chickens in "battery houses". They cant move around much at all and are swimming in their own excrement.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/oceans/aquaculture/shrimp-farming/

The free range organic shrimp must be wild then? The stocks of river dwelling prawns in Thailand have been decimated by selfish shellfish farmers (the equivalent of selling seashells by the seashore...) and the changing river environment. But they are making a comeback in some places especially in Trat where they stopped illegal fishing methods have been stopped and with the throwing back of the females with eggs.

Edited by junglechef

The free range organic shrimp must be wild then? The stocks of river dwelling prawns in Thailand have been decimated by selfish shellfish farmers (the equivalent of selling seashells by the seashore...) and the changing river environment. But they are making a comeback in some places especially in Trat where they stopped illegal fishing methods have been stopped and with the throwing back of the females with eggs.

They are wild yes. And not caught with super trawlers like a lot of western countries are using. Same goes with squid, fish etc. all caught with local boats mainly crewed with illegal Cambodians and Burmese.

The Barramundi is meant to be river / estuary caught but i have heard they do farm them here. Still taste great though.

Farmed barramundi is not within a bulls roar of the wild stuff. Farmed barramundi's taste depends pretty much on what they are fed. And by the taste of much of it they are fed on cardboard.

Farmed barramundi is not within a bulls roar of the wild stuff. Farmed barramundi's taste depends pretty much on what they are fed. And by the taste of much of it they are fed on cardboard.

I never said the farmed barra was any good. Just said the ones we get here are good. Must be wild.

the barra are farmed in the south mainly on fish trash and high protein pellets.Harvested at 7-9 month or 500g.At that age the fish is still juvenile

Nice barra is 3+ years old.

I did grow some and there where ok,but liked the tilapia better ,the flesh is firmer

Mate, thais cook their prawns in fresh water, if you want tasty prawns you need to boil them(green prawns, black tigers preferably) in salted water then put them straight into a salted slurry(ice and water) straight out of the pot and let them chill down, this is the best way to get great tasting prawns.

by the way barra can be grown in fresh water

Barramundi can live in both fresh and salt water. They move from freshwater to river mouths to spawn. They also change sex from male to female. Outside of Australia they can be known as sea bass or giant sea perch.

• Like 1