Pheu Thai seeks 'absolute control'

webfact

POLITICS
Pheu Thai seeks 'absolute control'

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE RULING Pheu Thai Party has joined forces with senators to push for the passage of legislation that would turn the House into a dictatorship and enable the government to "monopolise" power with absolute control in both houses of Parliament, Democrat Party Bangkok MP Ongart Klampaiboon alleged yesterday.

Parliament is today scheduled to deliberate in its second reading a bill that would amend constitutional articles involving the method of electing senators.

Ongart said Pheu Thai's move to have all senators elected and remove appointed senators would greatly affect the country's political structure, since the ruling party would easily acquire a parliamentary mandate through a majority.

"They have worked out this plan - it's a case of 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours'. All Pheu Thai MPs have endorsed the bill with their signatures, along with some senators, to make it look like this was the intention of all parliamentarians [rather than the government alone]. From the beginning, this legislation has been an exercise in favouritism and nepotism," Ongart said.

The Democrat MP said the content of the charter amendments is worse than some provisions of the 1997 Constitution, which was dubbed "Parliament of Slaves". The new amendments could be dubbed the "Parliament of Dictatorship of the Senate", Ongart said. The amendment would allow senators who side with people in power to appoint or remove independent agencies, and leave them merely serving those in power, he said.

Ongart said the government might also vote to pass three amendment drafts as House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont has already put the three drafts at the top of the agenda. They include amendments to Article 68, on constitutional rights to protect the Constitution; Article 237, on party dissolution and punishment of party executives; and Article 190 on parliamentary approval of ratification of agreements with foreign countries.

PM's secretary-general Sura-nand Vejjajiva said Parliament must move forward and push for the legislation in the second and third readings. He insisted the government had followed legislative procedures to pass the charter amendment. He called on the opposition not to call street rallies to discuss parliamentary issues.

"If the opposition wants to scrap the amnesty bill and the charter amendment bills, they should do it in Parliament. As MPs they have a responsibility; please do not create conflicts or create conditions that lead to coups," Suranand said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-20

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But, I thought it had all moved beyond Thaksin, yet here we are preparing for his imminent dictatorship. Sad times for Thailand indeed. Hopefully he keeps to his word and doesn't take revenge on his political enemies(lol).

• Like 1

From the beginning, this legislation has been an exercise in favouritism and nepotism," Ongart said.

With a straight face, apparently. And in public.

Democracy gone mad I tell you, mad!! Where are the tanks? We don't need no stinkin' democracy...

An odd headline, as it is pretty clear that they already have absolute control. The final piece of the puzzle

is to bring back the puppet master himself, and then welcome to the new dictatorship of Thailand.

As I never had any plans in my life to live under a dictator, it will then be time to leave.

Life in Thailand will get very hard, not only will its citizens have to pay the PTP debt but they will pay a Thaksin tax as well. Expect rampant inflation, privatisation of all public assets, discount wages and conditions, reduced spending on social services and hello to a laissez faire market economy with no checks and balances.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

Absolute control, so they admit it, haha, what a surprise.

Dear voters, you think twice before someone offers you money for free

Pheu Thai taking over Bangkok, will be the end of Thailand and a civil war breaking out

An odd headline, as it is pretty clear that they already have absolute control. The final piece of the puzzle

is to bring back the puppet master himself, and then welcome to the new dictatorship of Thailand.

As I never had any plans in my life to live under a dictator, it will then be time to leave.

Life in Thailand will get very hard, not only will its citizens have to pay the PTP debt but they will pay a Thaksin tax as well. Expect rampant inflation, privatisation of all public assets, discount wages and conditions, reduced spending on social services and hello to a laissez faire market economy with no checks and balances.

I do not think they will do anything to hurt the blind masses, they need their support.

Middle to upper class would be the targets and cash cows.

But, I thought it had all moved beyond Thaksin, yet here we are preparing for his imminent dictatorship. Sad times for Thailand indeed. Hopefully he keeps to his word and doesn't take revenge on his political enemies(lol).

Glad you added the LOL

His enemies had better run for cover when he returns

• Like 1

He called on the opposition not to call street rallies to discuss parliamentary issues.

... Unless you're demanding an immediate government-resignation & elections, like we did, when we were out-of-power, three years ago, ... erm ... erm wink.png

• Like 2

Glad you added the LOL

Real estate prices on a Phattalung mountain are rumored to have shot up overnight.

Glad you added the LOL

I wonder how safe he would actually be. Just wondering, mind you.

Glad you added the LOL

That's the real problem. actually there are three problems.

1. Its the fear of retaliation that many are afraid of. not the few minor molehills that has been blown out of proportion out of fear. (worse has been committed and forgiven in Thailand) looking back on history the man does not easily forget or forgive.

2. Its the fear from the drug lords. although there are breakthroughs and huge drug "busts" at the moment, that's just the tip of the iceberg (its the case of sacrificing 10 million to let 100 million get through) but if the man returns to power its his ruthless attitude to drug abuse that they are afraid of.

3. Should the way be cleared for his return, is the man actually prepared to return and rule his people with the never ending threat of assassination hanging over his head? it really doesn't matter how many body guards one has, how secure the system is, the threat is there, and can tire a person both physically and psychologically. can he handle this and do his job?

• Like 2

Glad you added the LOL

1. Its the fear of retaliation that many are afraid of. not the few minor molehills that has been blown out of proportion out of fear. (worse has been committed and forgiven in Thailand) looking back on history the man does not easily forget or forgive.

2. Its the fear from the drug lords. although there are breakthroughs and huge drug "busts" at the moment, that's just the tip of the iceberg (its the case of sacrificing 10 million to let 100 million get through) but if the man returns to power its his ruthless attitude to drug abuse that they are afraid of.

3. Should the way be cleared for his return, is the man actually prepared to return and rule his people with the never ending threat of assassination hanging over his head? it really doesn't matter how many body guards one has, how secure the system is, the threat is there, and can tire a person both physically and psychologically. can he handle this and do his job?

Point three of yours is the one point I wonder too; the man is such a coward, could he really live day to day in that kind of fear? Though, when you think about 2004 onwards, he was under threat and was despised anyway and knew it well, but continued on in his plot. Bullet proof cars, high security, closed meetings...many dictators have done it.

He's a scary man with a scary plan. His Chinese puppemasters will be gleeful though.

Glad you added the LOL

Do you know how much extra profit protected industries are able to gouge out of the domestic market because they face little real competition?

Banks, retailers, agribusiness, and others all keep foreign companies out, so they can make extra points of margin and get away with poor service.

Business here needs more competition and Thaksin will I believe break down the barriers. The old money in Bangkok is terrified of this prospect.

• Like 2

huh??? ** ...please do not create conflicts or create conditions that lead to coups," Suranand said.**
...aside from all else, /THIS/ is the problem at the root of this *democracy*, this kind of stinkin' thinkin'... ;-} rap.

post-129819-0-94009200-1376962695_thumb.

Edited by RickeyParkany

What do you mean he has already charged Abhisit with murder for trying to bring peace to the country.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Do you know how much extra profit protected industries are able to gouge out of the domestic market because they face little real competition?

Banks, retailers, agribusiness, and others all keep foreign companies out, so they can make extra points of margin and get away with poor service.

Business here needs more competition and Thaksin will I believe break down the barriers. The old money in Bangkok is terrified of this prospect.

I am curious Thai at Heart, do you really believe that if Thaksin gets back into power, directly that is, that he will let foreign banks and companies come in and compete with their Thai counterparts.

And if that is not what you mean then possibly you could explain what you mean by breaking down the barriers?

Total democracy? Ministers aren't elected, nor are their designation voted on by the populace.

Methinks this hue and cry among Dems, is mostly because they haven't been doing a decent enough job of getting ideas across. Neither party has many decent ideas, but PT does a more effective job of getting the peons to believe something good is coming - even if it's not really true. Who cares about truth, anyway? Getting elected is all that matters.

• Like 1

Total democracy? Ministers aren't elected, nor are their designation voted on by the populace.

Methinks this hue and cry among Dems, is mostly because they haven't been doing a decent enough job of getting ideas across. Neither party has many decent ideas, but PT does a more effective job of getting the peons to believe something good is coming - even if it's not really true. Who cares about truth, anyway? Getting elected is all that matters.

Whether coup ousted, or vote-bought,... is there any difference?? Hell no???

Well then case closed

Democratically elected my BEHIND-CRAP... burp.gif