UK Offshore Bank accounts - opening from Thailand

Hi,

I am starting a business here in Thailand and would like to know about opening a UK Offshore account. This is because many of my suppliers are UK based so i would like to offer them an easy payment solution. From that account i want to transfer funds to my Thai business account.

Any suggestions of how i can open such an account from Thailand?

Many thanks for taking the time to read my question.

• 2 weeks later...

No need to get any agency to do this for you.

You can do it by post, yourself, with usually 2 ID documents. There are very few UK banks now that still have offshore businesses. Nationwide International has a good reputation, (but then so did the Co-op and they are now on the skids!).

You can look up which UK banks offer offshore accounts on http://www.moneysupermarket.com, or similar financial sites.

The banks' individual sites will tell you what you need to send. It is usually:

1. A copy of your passport photo ID page, notarised by a lawyer, or similar official (also listed on bank's website) usually bearing some form of words like, "I have witnessed the original document and the owner and certify the photo is a true likeness of the individual". The bank website will usually tell you the exact form of words they require.

2. An original of (or a notarised copy of) a document that proves your foreign address. This is usually a utility bill , or a letter from a government or official institution to you at your address.

You send these two forms of ID with the completed application form, (by registered mail is best), and once the account is opened you can add funds either by sending a cheque or by electronic tranfer from your UK bank. Often you can send the initial funds cheque with the application.

Yeah, hi again.

It is a business account that i'm looking to open. Do you think i may have to set up a UK registered company to do this? It's all extremely confusing to the layman. I called HSBC Bangkok yesterday and was told, in very bad English (by the English speaking service operator) that as i don't have any banking history with them that i can't open an account! So how does one open an account with them?! Baffled!

Anyway, if anybody knows how i can open a UK business account that will allow me to transfer funds to my Thai business account (SCB), that would be great.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Yeah, hi again.

It is a business account that i'm looking to open. Do you think i may have to set up a UK registered company to do this? It's all extremely confusing to the layman. I called HSBC Bangkok yesterday and was told, in very bad English (by the English speaking service operator) that as i don't have any banking history with them that i can't open an account! So how does one open an account with them?! Baffled!

Anyway, if anybody knows how i can open a UK business account that will allow me to transfer funds to my Thai business account (SCB), that would be great.

Try to open a current/savings account first.then u will have history of savings

Yeah, hi again.

HSBC no more operates in Thailand.

Yeah, hi again.

HSBC no more operates in Thailand.

Really? Isn't there a bank on the Rama 4 road? I definitely called a Bangkok number and spoke to a rather hopeless operator.

Anybody had any dealings with FBS Banking? I think they're based in France.

Thanks again guys. Hope you're having a great day