Homeless Foreigners in Chiang Mai?

NancyL

There are many foreigners living here on a monthly disability check -- not just SSI from the U.S. -- but other countries will grant disability incomes, too. Often these are people with mental health issues that make it difficult for them to hold down a job. It's difficult to live on a disability check in the western world, but that check goes a long way here, so these folks aren't homeless. In fact, they often have nice lives here. The Thai people usually are more tolerant of behavior that would be considered "strange" in the western world.

But, sometimes these folk can neglect their medical needs or perhaps their medications need to be adjusted. Then, they can engage in behavior that results in eviction from their lodgings. I know of numerous cases where the consulates have assisted people in this condition to get the medical attention they need and get their lives back in order. Or arrange a voluntary repatriation if their needs for health care or supervision exceed what is available here.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many foreigners living here on a monthly disability check -- not just SSI from the U.S. -- but other countries will grant disability incomes, too. Often these are people with mental health issues that make it difficult for them to hold down a job. It's difficult to live on a disability check in the western world, but that check goes a long way here, so these folks aren't homeless. In fact, they often have nice lives here. The Thai people usually are more tolerant of behavior that would be considered "strange" in the western world.

But, sometimes these folk can neglect their medical needs or perhaps their medications need to be adjusted. Then, they can engage in behavior that results in eviction from their lodgings. I know of numerous cases where the consulates have assisted people in this condition to get the medical attention they need and get their lives back in order. Or arrange a voluntary repatriation if their needs for health care or supervision exceed what is available here.

Lets get something straight here.SSI is welfare, and can't be paid outside of the US. SSD is disability insurance that can be, because you paid into it. BIG DEFERENCE

Lets get something straight here.SSI is welfare, and can't be paid outside of the US. SSD is disability insurance that can be, because you paid into it. BIG DEFERENCE

Maybe "difference", but I would defer to your superior knowledge...

Maybe "difference", but I would defer to your superior knowledge...

Good Idea, we should have a spelling bee and show yours.

SSI is a federal program, but it is administered by the individual states. Some states are a lot more lenient than others. One reason California has always been a magnet for kooks. Oregon, too. Might be a once a year check-in, or even less. To collect SSI, you would to at least briefly been in the workforce. The Oregonian I spoke with in Sihanoukville was getting 700 per month, and on his way to live cheap in India. Apparently some of you all didn't see "surfer dude" on Fox News a few weeks ago. Basically he was buying lobster and sushi with the 200 per month in food stamps he was given, just for asking, in California. Obama did away with a lot of the at least looking for work, requirements. In other cases, auditors have disovered the visa debit cards given to people on assistance were used in strip clubs, and on cruise ships heading to Hawaii. I heard 5% of the people on welfare in NYC were "hard working" Vietnamese. Plenty of Mexican-Americans on it, too. System players. Pay people to make babies and not have a job...guess what? They're going to make babies and not find a job.

There is a very offesive Bangladeshi homeless guy. He hangs out around Spicey. The first time i met him was in the Saturday walking street. He was begging, he asked me for money to which i just gave a polite smile and walked past. With this he shouts "<deleted> you" Then he told me what to suck... angry.png I asked him where he was from, then laughed and walked away as calmly as i could.

The second time i saw him he was fishing in the moat near at Thapea. I told a passing policeman, who told him to stop and confiscated his line and beer.

Obviously he didn't check his visa status.

how very noble of you.

• Like 2

Yes, I stand corrected. SSD is payable outside the U.S., as is the "regular" retirement pension SS benefit, but SSI is not. The people I've encountered must be receiving SSD. In fact one them called it "early retirement due to disability", which is a pretty good description.

I've seen a couple of guys in my time here becoming homeless. i remember one case about two years ago of a Canadian man aged about 40 that totally went over the edge. Obvious mental health issues, compounded by yabba. He took to stealing from 7/11 and market stalls by Chiang Mai Gate. I know he started to become verbally abusive to females in particular and he gave a farang female friend of mine a real fright.

He was evicted from his accommodation, went somewhere else on the promise that money was due in from Canada, it never appeared so he was evicted again and no one else would take him in. The tourist police were looking for him, I mentioned to a Canadian national that it might be an idea to speak to the Consulate, he did and was told that they were aware of the guy but didn't have any details about him.

He disappeared from one day to the next, assumption being he was arrested.

I know of another case where alcohol was the root of the problem. That guy was eventually arrested twice and deported. So all told I've seen two guys fall into that trap. I have never seen any farangs sleeping rough in the city and I'm a bit of a night bird. That's not to say they are not hiding down an alley somewhere.

I have seen my fair share of people sleeping rough, haven't we all? I've always assumed that they are Thai. I've never bothered to wake them up and ask.

Outside of CM, I noticed an old lady sitting on a street corner in Mae Sai recently, she had one of those well worn interesting Asian faces, she stood out from the crowd. I was disappointed to see her curled up in a ball outside 7/11 after midnight that night. She probably felt safe there. It's one thing to see guys on the street, something else to see vulnerable old ladies.

Thailand is no different from anywhere else, vulnerable people tip out on to the streets. The expat community is the same, there are people sleeping rough in the European resorts too. Every penny they get is to feed their habit whatever it may be, or in some cases, the more distressing ones, they are genuinely mentally ill.

On the theme of Canada, I was amazed at the amount of homeless pan handlers and beggars I saw in Toronto, and amazed at how regularly they would walk up to me and beg, truly amazed. I asked a local what was going on, he said that they all had hostel spaces, but they were kicked out through the day, and if they wanted a bed for the night they had to be in the hostel by 8.00pm.

The effect that had was that most of them made better money begging from the evening crowd so they would stay out well beyond 8.00, chasing the money instead of a bed. The hardest people to help are those that won't help themselves. Anyone with knowledge of the AA for example knows that.

Bringing it back to Thailand, and farangs, I can't see a solution being enacted. The Thais are not liable to open hostels for homeless farangs, the respective national governments are pretty powerless too. If someone chooses the street there's not a lot you can do about it.

Thailand can't / won't tolerate homeless farangs, the current system of arresting them and transporting them to IDC seems to be the only way out. Where the Thais appear to be lacking is by not automatically black listing deportees of this nature. Some apparently bounce back.

People like NancyL have to be applauded for the voluntary work that they do, but this is a government level problem. I bet Nancy is continuously frustrated by the actions of the people referred to her and the respective governments.

Difficult all round.

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

Thank you for the clarification. I believe street people in the states do not qualify for welfare if they do not have a permanent address. All though that is easy to fake.

SSI is a federal program, but it is administered by the individual states. Some states are a lot more lenient than others. One reason California has always been a magnet for kooks. Oregon, too. Might be a once a year check-in, or even less. To collect SSI, you would to at least briefly been in the workforce. The Oregonian I spoke with in Sihanoukville was getting 700 per month, and on his way to live cheap in India. Apparently some of you all didn't see "surfer dude" on Fox News a few weeks ago. Basically he was buying lobster and sushi with the 200 per month in food stamps he was given, just for asking, in California. Obama did away with a lot of the at least looking for work, requirements. In other cases, auditors have disovered the visa debit cards given to people on assistance were used in strip clubs, and on cruise ships heading to Hawaii. I heard 5% of the people on welfare in NYC were "hard working" Vietnamese. Plenty of Mexican-Americans on it, too. System players. Pay people to make babies and not have a job...guess what? They're going to make babies and not find a job.

I would take a lot of what Fox says with a ton of salt.

I've seen a couple of guys in my time here becoming homeless. i remember one case about two years ago of a Canadian man aged about 40 that totally went over the edge. Obvious mental health issues, compounded by yabba. He took to stealing from 7/11 and market stalls by Chiang Mai Gate. I know he started to become verbally abusive to females in particular and he gave a farang female friend of mine a real fright.

He was evicted from his accommodation, went somewhere else on the promise that money was due in from Canada, it never appeared so he was evicted again and no one else would take him in. The tourist police were looking for him, I mentioned to a Canadian national that it might be an idea to speak to the Consulate, he did and was told that they were aware of the guy but didn't have any details about him.

He disappeared from one day to the next, assumption being he was arrested.

I know of another case where alcohol was the root of the problem. That guy was eventually arrested twice and deported. So all told I've seen two guys fall into that trap. I have never seen any farangs sleeping rough in the city and I'm a bit of a night bird. That's not to say they are not hiding down an alley somewhere.

I have seen my fair share of people sleeping rough, haven't we all? I've always assumed that they are Thai. I've never bothered to wake them up and ask.

Outside of CM, I noticed an old lady sitting on a street corner in Mae Sai recently, she had one of those well worn interesting Asian faces, she stood out from the crowd. I was disappointed to see her curled up in a ball outside 7/11 after midnight that night. She probably felt safe there. It's one thing to see guys on the street, something else to see vulnerable old ladies.

Thailand is no different from anywhere else, vulnerable people tip out on to the streets. The expat community is the same, there are people sleeping rough in the European resorts too. Every penny they get is to feed their habit whatever it may be, or in some cases, the more distressing ones, they are genuinely mentally ill.

On the theme of Canada, I was amazed at the amount of homeless pan handlers and beggars I saw in Toronto, and amazed at how regularly they would walk up to me and beg, truly amazed. I asked a local what was going on, he said that they all had hostel spaces, but they were kicked out through the day, and if they wanted a bed for the night they had to be in the hostel by 8.00pm.

The effect that had was that most of them made better money begging from the evening crowd so they would stay out well beyond 8.00, chasing the money instead of a bed. The hardest people to help are those that won't help themselves. Anyone with knowledge of the AA for example knows that.

Bringing it back to Thailand, and farangs, I can't see a solution being enacted. The Thais are not liable to open hostels for homeless farangs, the respective national governments are pretty powerless too. If someone chooses the street there's not a lot you can do about it.

Thailand can't / won't tolerate homeless farangs, the current system of arresting them and transporting them to IDC seems to be the only way out. Where the Thais appear to be lacking is by not automatically black listing deportees of this nature. Some apparently bounce back.

People like NancyL have to be applauded for the voluntary work that they do, but this is a government level problem. I bet Nancy is continuously frustrated by the actions of the people referred to her and the respective governments.

Difficult all round.

Well I have seen Nancy in action and she does indeed deserve credit. She works with Lanna Care an association that is all volunteers and helps people in need such as aging and disabled people.

But from what I have seen and gathered here there is no need for the Government to set up a program for the street people. As most of them are alcoholics or drug addicts. Thailand already has programs for them. Laughable as they are. No point in spending billions on rumors. The claim of thirty street people in Chiang Mai was made by a person in Bangkok.

There was no statement what so ever from authorities in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

I think it is worth adding a little more about the saga of Abe, it was as Ulysses has posted, a team effort.

Abe was indeed sleeping on the floor of the old Blue Sky Bar in Rachamankha Road, thanks to the typical kindness of the Thai lady owner, now herself deceased. David raised the topic with Paul Southland, the then No 2 at the British Embassy, who quite quickly granted Abe a free passport to replace the one stolen years before from his guest house.

Another very big hearted person, English financial advisor Martin Chappell (now based in Bangkok), looked into Abe's affairs free of charge and found he was eligible for a modest Navy pension. This was just enough to get him a place at McKean Rehabilitation Centre where he dried out and lived very happily for several years before dieing of natural causes.

The excellent Panita (still at the British Consulate CM) was the bi-lingual liaison person and, together, these people certainly lengthened and vastly improved the lifespan of this pleasant, intelligent and gentle man who had fallen on hard times and fallen into the bottle.

Paul Southland was rightly promoted to be the UK Consul in Shanghai, 2nd most important post in China, and was last heard of as a member of the London Olympic committee.

Now, this type of liaison is available to all non-Thai nationalities here through Lanna Care Net. I have also read recently that in extreme cases, the British government MAY repatriate their nationals on a loan scheme, as I think applies to Americans and Swedes.

I should have noted that this was originally posted by Philw in the remembrance page, but as the original reference to Abe was in this post I copied it here without the quotes. I do apologise.

"..I have also read recently that in extreme cases, the British government MAY repatriate their nationals on a loan scheme, as I think applies to Americans and Swedes..."

Can't vouche for the Americans and Swedes but I have first hand knowledge of being re-patriated by the British Consulate.

On the road back from India, December 1975 after too long away, and without money--they paid for a train from Salzburg to UK, they kept my passport until I repaid the debt. Not sure that they are so accomodating these days, though.

I also helped an English bloke stuck in Phuket, about 2002, after several years with no money, visa, etc..get back to UK, mainly with help from British Embassy Bkk, [since the Honorary Consul in Phuket was not interested in doing his Consualr duties]--so, between myself, Embassy and the guy's UK contact, things got sorted.

I am only adding this as a means of showing that, contrary to some folks' opinion the Embassy can be of help [ but not if you're French or Italian, I understand]

Also--just like to say that--NancyL's last post above mine is full of very useful and sensible advice--if we all heeded it, things would be a lot easier-- should the s**t hit the fan.

Edited by haybilly

I seen a guy about 3 months ago, wearing army green shorts and black shirt carrying a backpack and wearing sunglasses, everytime i saw him he was in a different part of town. I got the impression he was sleeping behind the brickwall on the southwest corner of the moat.

Always wore the same outfit.

1. register with your home countries system for tracking the location of their citizens, for example S.T.E.P for Americans, LOCATE for Brits.

I believe I read earlier in the year that the LOCATE service wasn't being utilised enough and that the FCO were shutting it down. Someone else might know for sure.

I was out for my daily walk and happened upon a 50-ish, dark Asian guy sleeping on the inside of the moat opposite the Ford dealership.

I thought this guy was homeless and asleep out in the open in the blistering midday sun poor guy.

We've all had times when a helping hand really sent us in the right direction so whilst he was still asleep I slipped 1000 baht in his shirt pocket.

My intention was to provide him with a chance to get a room for a few nights, a bite to eat and look presentable for potential employers.

Without fail for the next few days I saw him blotto sat in exactly the same place when I went past.

Caveat Emptor!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was out for my daily walk and happened upon a 50-ish, dark Asian guy sleeping on the inside of the moat opposite the Ford dealership.

I thought this guy was homeless and asleep out in the open in the blistering midday sun poor guy.

We've all had times when a helping hand really sent us in the right direction so whilst he was still asleep I slipped 1000 baht in his shirt pocket.

My intention was to provide him with a chance to get a room for a few nights, a bite to eat and look presentable for potential employers.

Without fail for the next few days I saw him blotto sat in exactly the same place when I went past.

Caveat Emptor!

Probably the same drunk Bangladeshi guy that told me to give him "F***ING money" or to suck his... My brother wanted to knock him out and push him into the moat. Then we decided that was probably a bit hash, just for swearing at us. He needs putting in an immigration detention center.

Caveat Emptor!

Probably the same drunk Bangladeshi guy that told me to give him "F***ING money" or to suck his... My brother wanted to knock him out and push him into the moat. Then we decided that was probably a bit hash, just for swearing at us. He needs putting in an immigration detention center.

I don't begrudge giving the guy the cash. I just wish he was a genuinely in need homeless who just needed a helping hand not another Chang.

Oh well, lesson learnt.

No he was not if Indian descent this fellow.

I see many people chocolate stay no home home in bkk as police not think as say luck bad if arrest as you may see out side shops statue black for luckey, but husband say they called lucky because they are in spain and sad say lookie lookie buy from me,he say from Nigeria arrest them no good sell yaba, I take 2 to police station many drug they had

WPFflags.gif .

Edited by pach16

There's a guy aged around 55 who for many years has walked around the Tha Pae Gate area wearing football shorts and a grubby t-shirt usually carrying a plastic bag with a toilet roll and cans of chang. I think he's Italian and according to pub talk his Thai missus cleaned him out and now he's homeless and a little mad.

I think that he is another fake homeless guy who has gone home. He bought Italian books pretty often and looked at them almost every day. He did not seem to have a problem with money. He was a little strange, but he could talk fairly normally and in English, which surprised me. He sure did look homeless though.

Yes I remember him he was around for a few years and he just looked to me like one of those guys who was living on 10,000baht a month or something..not homeless though. 17 years here on and off and I've never met any farang who was homeless, some pretty desparate cases but all had a roof over their heads.

• Like 1

There's a guy aged around 55 who for many years has walked around the Tha Pae Gate area wearing football shorts and a grubby t-shirt usually carrying a plastic bag with a toilet roll and cans of chang. I think he's Italian and according to pub talk his Thai missus cleaned him out and now he's homeless and a little mad.

I think that he is another fake homeless guy who has gone home. He bought Italian books pretty often and looked at them almost every day. He did not seem to have a problem with money. He was a little strange, but he could talk fairly normally and in English, which surprised me. He sure did look homeless though.

Yes I remember him he was around for a few years and he just looked to me like one of those guys who was living on 10,000baht a month or something..not homeless though. 17 years here on and off and I've never met any farang who was homeless, some pretty desparate cases but all had a roof over their heads.

Agreed. Have had a few expat friends in Chiangmai who are penniless for the last week before their penssion cheque arrives but they had a roof over their heads. Most pubs will let said individuals run a tab for food and booze until the money comes, nice of them but at the same time it never gives them a chance to get out of the hole each month.

"We've all had times when a helping hand really sent us in the right direction so whilst he was still asleep I slipped 1000 baht in his shirt pocket."

Holy S**T !!--you really do live up to your online 'moniker' of 'Britgent'--that was really a large donation by anybody's standards.

I applaud your generosity--now where exactly did you wander across this 'sleeping' dude, must get my map out--and my old clothes.

"We've all had times when a helping hand really sent us in the right direction so whilst he was still asleep I slipped 1000 baht in his shirt pocket."

Holy S**T !!--you really do live up to your online 'moniker' of 'Britgent'--that was really a large donation by anybody's standards.

I applaud your generosity--now where exactly did you wander across this 'sleeping' dude, must get my map out--and my old clothes.

Giving 1,000 baht anonymously is a really nice gesture, but why break that anonymity on here?

I see many people chocolate stay no home home in bkk as police not think as say luck bad if arrest as you may see out side shops statue black for luckey, but husband say they called lucky because they are in spain and sad say lookie lookie buy from me,he say from Nigeria arrest them no good sell yaba, I take 2 to police station many drug they had .

Uhh...sure...if you say so..blink.png

I see many people chocolate stay no home home in bkk as police not think as say luck bad if arrest as you may see out side shops statue black for luckey, but husband say they called lucky because they are in spain and sad say lookie lookie buy from me,he say from Nigeria arrest them no good sell yaba, I take 2 to police station many drug they had

WPFflags.gif .

EleKtrified beat me to it---<deleted>!!!

Don't tell me--Google Translate strikes again?

Edited by haybilly

I think the charity confused homeless westerners with unwashed backpackers cheesy.gif

That's quite possible. Last week, the underage prostitutes they "rescued," turned out to be 38 yo grandmothers from Phitsanalouk looking for some 7-11 stamps. Maybe it was the Mickey Mouse t-shirts, but you really gotta look at the whole picture with these NGOs.

Is there a link to this story--sounds like a good read over my morning tea----well if they are around

hang dong they can have my 7-11 stamps--i usually give them to the staff or put them on mbike seats

Giving 1,000 baht anonymously is a really nice gesture, but why break that anonymity on here?

You think said drunk uses thaivisa or that you can find me by using my moniker of britgent?

Anonymity is still intact though thank you for thinking about me.