Good and Bad builders in Pattaya

mjcl

Thanks, but in all honesty I really don't think you wouldn't add anything over and above what I or anyone else who has lived here for a few years could do for them. My friend whose need is the most immediate has now found himself a qualified architect, who comes with good testimonials.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's kind of funny, that was the reply I was totally expecting !!!

I can quite assure you that me & The guvernor are not one & the same, but if you want to be sure why don't you ask one of the TV moderators to verify that?

When I applied for my first Thai WP, the vat dept & the chonburi labor dept came to my house first to see if i was who i say i was, yes my house is my companies head office, is there a problem with that, I also have branch, which is my office also stated in my WP

To receive a WP & be able to renew it, you need to show that you are trading & proof of that, the Chonburi labor office are not silly believe me, a dormunt company that only owns a house & does not trade, the director is not entitled to a WP, although believe what you want, when i first started trading I did not pay VAT for 3 months, they were on me pretty quick, i got fined for not submitting, even though it was zero to submit?

Are my testmonials bad? Don't think so!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me make this absolutely clear I am not in any way conected or the same person as Mr Rosegate (Dickie) I may be a newbie to this Forum and have only been involved in this Topic as it is a topic I am interested in, I did not contradict my self in relation to certain Real Estate personel without work Permits you only have to take a look at recent media reports on Immagration sweeps and further more it is clear that you do not have a WP as you would know the formalities and sometimes anxieties that are attached to all recent applications submitted, I am of course reffering to applications that are legitamate and not via the back door I also take it that your friends who have obtained a valid WP are a 2million Baht company and all there Tax and Social etc are provided along with Company Profits and accounting not to mention End of year balance sheets I could go on, wake up Bounder and smell the coffee and dont please suggest that I am one of the same person, who just like you can voice my opinion albeit a newbie without some suggesting I have conspired to support other members points of view

Let me make this absolutely clear I am not in any way conected or the same person as Mr Rosegate (Dickie) I may be a newbie to this Forum and have only been involved in this Topic as it is a topic I am interested in, I did not contradict my self in relation to certain Real Estate personel without work Permits you only have to take a look at recent media reports on Immagration sweeps and further more it is clear that you do not have a WP as you would know the formalities and sometimes anxieties that are attached to all recent applications submitted, I am of course reffering to applications that are legitamate and not via the back door I also take it that your friends who have obtained a valid WP are a 2million Baht company and all there Tax and Social etc are provided along with Company Profits and accounting not to mention End of year balance sheets I could go on, wake up Bounder and smell the coffee and dont please suggest that I am one of the same person, who just like you can voice my opinion albeit a newbie without some suggesting I have conspired to support other members points of view

In that case it is rather strange to say that a man has been open and honest with his answers when the whole point is that he refused to answer simple questions that were entirely fair and reasonable.

As for work permits, yes I am talking about absolutely genuine applications. As I have told you several times, it is a straightforward process for an individual who is a part owner, i.e shareholder, in the company. There are countless individuals in this country with work permits for jobs and in professions in which they have no prior experience or qualifications. Whether you like it or not, that is a fact and the work permits are entirely genuine.

And actually, unlike you (according to your earlier post), I do have a work permit. I have had one for several years. I have also obtained work permits for staff members. Unlike you, I know the formalities extremely well, thanks very much.

And actually, unlike you (according to your earlier post), I do have a work permit. I have had one for several years. I have also obtained work permits for staff members. Unlike you, I know the formalities extremely well, thanks very much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of all the people who have done there best to offer good advice, you clearly appear to know better.

I wish you good luck & goodbye

You seem to have had your cage rattled Mr Bounder Rude arrogant self opiniated all words that come to mind, however you are also entitled to your views like us all but if you offer the same advice to your potential WP seekers I hope you will also be on hand to see it through I am sure that you will have something to add but please remember that a retired Visa holder dosent mean that he has no working knowledge and experience on the subject, especially one that was invited here by the Thai government several years ago as advisor and consultant at a high level and not one of the many that arrived here on a Tourist Visa and then decided to stay.

You seem to have had your cage rattled Mr Bounder Rude arrogant self opiniated all words that come to mind, however you are also entitled to your views like us all but if you offer the same advice to your potential WP seekers I hope you will also be on hand to see it through I am sure that you will have something to add but please remember that a retired Visa holder dosent mean that he has no working knowledge and experience on the subject, especially one that was invited here by the Thai government several years ago as advisor and consultant at a high level and not one of the many that arrived here on a Tourist Visa and then decided to stay.

I have no idea where you are coming from. I have not been rude (unless I am seriously mistaken, it is only you who has resorted to name calling), nor have I been arrogant and when something is a fact it is not an opinion. I don't advise WP seekers, I have simply obtained WPs for myself and members of my staff, as you would have appreciated if you had read my previous message properly.

You may well have knowledge, but your statement that having a work permit means that an individual is qualified in the field in which he works was wrong, simple as that. If, in your eyes, I am arrogant and rude for pointing this out, then so be it.

If you think I arrived here on a Tourist Visa then you are quite wrong, but, then again, you rarely seem to let the facts get in the way of your assumptions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of all the people who have done there best to offer good advice, you clearly appear to know better.

I wish you good luck & goodbye

Only in areas where I have experience and qualifications.

Edited by thebounder

• 1 month later...

I've been following this in hopes that someone will actually name a few good home builders in Pattaya. So far only Rosegate Consulting, which I will likely contact. Any other suggestions for quality western standard builders. No need to resume the debate on the definition of standards.

I've been following this in hopes that someone will actually name a few good home builders in Pattaya. So far only Rosegate Consulting, which I will likely contact. Any other suggestions for quality western standard builders. No need to resume the debate on the definition of standards.

try Steve Atkins or pm me for more details

offTel. +66 (0) 38 489 290

Fax +66 (0) 38 489 295

[reason for edit: email removed]

• 1 month later...
I agree there are few, however, I can and will, personally recommend a fantastic, honest, professional local builder to anyone who genuinely wants one. Please PM me and I will give you a name and pictures of his work.

Hi there,

I would be very grateful if you coud give me details of this builder. If possible, could you email me at [reason for edit: email removed, use pm to contact] Thank you very much, Chrissy.

• 1 year later...

I bought a condo three years ago as an empty shell and have been fitting it out slowly but shurely. Im yet to understand Thai negotiating. The quote is likely to be doubled trippled or quadrupled for no aparent reason at all. (And after its finished) I'm ofended by the in your face rudness of this, its very insulting

It's like herding cats to get anything done as clearly specified.

Jobs take ten times longer than they should and are Thai ''free form'' in finish

I have to note that one time the tradesmen improved the second time ingaged --maybe because its so unusual for them to get return business.

Anyone that does building supervision here must be very talented to survive at all!! For me its an unbelievable abuse!!

When I'm not renovating I'm happy here though, as I have a great location in a well managed condo building.

Dickie58 seems to be one of our ThaiVisa forum sponsors, Rosegate Consulting.

Until proven otherwise, I must assume our TV people vetted Rosegate and found him qualified.

If people are building a home and are interested in his services, then contact him and find out all you want to know. If you are not building a home, then why not let the matter drop.

Just as with any advertising we cannot guarantee the quality of advertisers services, it is up to the individual to establish the quality of the service.

From the Forum Rules:

26) To release ThaiVisa.com from any responsibility for information found using Internet links posted on the forum (including links from our advertisers)

The builder of my house is an excellent person, very honest and builds a quality home, good value for the money, and he stands behind what he builds, and makes every effort to "make it right". After he finished the house, he designed and built an addition that looks like it was part of the original home, and the price was extremely reasonable. He is Thai, and a person of integrity. He is also an architect, so he can help design the house if you need that service. One caution, he can be slow and time deadlines are routinely missed. So, either include in your contract incentives/penalites for meeting deadlines (not sure how much you can push him here) or accept a house that will be later than promised (this may be less of a problem now with the housing slowdown). Having now lived here for 4 years, there are things I now know that I would do differently, perhaps at greater cost. I would be happy to discuss those with anyone that might use his services. His name is Khun Pyratch and he trades as "The Architect" on Pattya Nua close to the two pool shops. He speaks good English. I have no business or financial association with him, he simply did a good job on my house and deserves my support for that. My general observation is that the foreign managers/supervisors are either a waste (they have little home building experience and add a mark-up with little to no oversight (my case)) or a negative (they have limited resources and try to skimp at every turn, creating substandard homes; I think the most common situation with houses) or they have real knowledge and offer prices that are equivalent to European prices (one British builder on the radio is offering European standard homes at B50,000 per square meter, mine was approximately 1/3 of that). So, if you know what you want and know the Pattaya housing market, I would deal directly with a reputable Thai builder. Obviously, if you are living out of the country (as I was when my house was being built) it makes it more difficult to deal directly with the builder. But my sense is that with Khun Pyratch it is achieveable. There are other good builders I am sure, but he is definately one of the good ones. Cheers,

The builder of my house is an excellent person, very honest and builds a quality home, good value for the money, and he stands behind what he builds, and makes every effort to "make it right". After he finished the house, he designed and built an addition that looks like it was part of the original home, and the price was extremely reasonable. He is Thai, and a person of integrity. He is also an architect, so he can help design the house if you need that service. One caution, he can be slow and time deadlines are routinely missed. So, either include in your contract incentives/penalites for meeting deadlines (not sure how much you can push him here) or accept a house that will be later than promised (this may be less of a problem now with the housing slowdown). Having now lived here for 4 years, there are things I now know that I would do differently, perhaps at greater cost. I would be happy to discuss those with anyone that might use his services. His name is Khun Pyratch and he trades as "The Architect" on Pattya Nua close to the two pool shops. He speaks good English. I have no business or financial association with him, he simply did a good job on my house and deserves my support for that. My general observation is that the foreign managers/supervisors are either a waste (they have little home building experience and add a mark-up with little to no oversight (my case)) or a negative (they have limited resources and try to skimp at every turn, creating substandard homes; I think the most common situation with houses) or they have real knowledge and offer prices that are equivalent to European prices (one British builder on the radio is offering European standard homes at B50,000 per square meter, mine was approximately 1/3 of that). So, if you know what you want and know the Pattaya housing market, I would deal directly with a reputable Thai builder. Obviously, if you are living out of the country (as I was when my house was being built) it makes it more difficult to deal directly with the builder. But my sense is that with Khun Pyratch it is achieveable. There are other good builders I am sure, but he is definately one of the good ones. Cheers,

I'm delighted to see Khun Pyratch receiving some good publicity. My ex-wife worked for him 3-4 years ago and I met him on numerous occasions. He seemed to me one of the most genuine Thai's I have ever met and the quality of a number of his projects that I saw looked excellent. Although I have no background in building myself it was clear to me that he took great pride in his design work and employed the best contractors available. If anyone is looking for a good designer/builder at rather lower rates than would be available from foreign developers they could do a a lot worse than having a word with Khun Pyratch.

• 5 months later...

I live in a condo building, so any doors I get are not subject to weather problems. I just want a 35" by 79" slatted wood door, which is paintable or in natural wood, whichever is cheaper. If there is an off-the-shelf door store, so much the better. I live close to Threpasit Road, by the way, so I know there are a number of wood stores there.

Any suggestions re where and how much?

• 7 months later...

I agree there are few, however, I can and will, personally recommend a fantastic, honest, professional local builder to anyone who genuinely wants one. Please PM me and I will give you a name and pictures of his work.

Hi,

Yes; I would be very happy if you could send me that builder's information.

Cheers a lot,

J. Klasema

[email protected]

Edited by jaapfries

I just went through a major renovation. The house was already built, but no build outs nor any landscaping. I posted pic on this thread (also in my gallery, but they seem to have disappeared!):

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/257672-finished-house-picture-views-and-gardens-welcome/page__st__500

It was about a 6 month process. All in all, it went fairly smoothly (though I doubt I will do this again!). I had 3 different companies involved. One for the interior woodwork, one for construction (patio, sala, tile work, elec, plumbing, etc) and one for landscaping. I found getting a good quality job done is the way to go. Contracting with some builder due to his low cost is not always the way to go...I paid a premium, but in the end, it was worth it.

The interior guy has been used by several members here on TV. He is absolutely fantastic. If there were any problems, he fixed them. I had all the doors replaced with solid wood doors. One cracked and he came out and fixed it. Other issues have cropped up, as will happen with any major reno, and he has fixed them all. No questions asked. He did several of the stores in Central Festival and has been doing this type of work here for years. Little English spoken, but top notch guy...not cheap. If you want a quality job, this is the guy. If you want cheap, this is not your guy.

The construction guy was pretty good. His electrical guy is fantastic. Had one problem with his work, but other than that, all went fairly well. And he did a lot of work for me.

The landscape guy was great. Cheap and did a good job. And speaks English! He is now doing a large sala and Thai kitchen for a friend. He has done a lot of landscape projects around town for various hotels and housing developments...

If you want contact info, just PM me.

P.S. Construction is a mess just due to it's basic nature. Murphy's law is in full effect....especially here in Thailand. I found you need to watch them every day, all the time. Not because they are lazy or do bad work (though that does happen from time to time!), but because it is not what you want. We did all custom work. We had drawings, but still...the devil's in the details.

My dentist, from a well known hospital here in town, is building a new house. I met her Saturday. She was telling me of the nightmares she is having. So...even Thai's have problems with Thai workers! And one here in our development lost 1MM Baht after the contractor skipped town.

Ha, your are promoting yourself while I just try to illustrate to the inexperienced Falang what's going to happen to him if he decide to build his home here.

Like you point out yourself "your best Thai builder is not cheap" and you are managing him...

Let me make my point, building significantly below market value is only advisable to the ones with experience, speaking the language and not the faint hearted. Getting a falang with that experience like you to manage it is the better option... but not that cheap...

I' sure that you client will be happy while in Athens, he's in fact lucky not go for a Thai-Thai builder.

Just stand by it: that in today's buyers market it's not worth all the hassle to try to build. Hmm maybe renovating yes.

All my builders have there own clients as well, which I do not get involved in, I only manage projects for clients what intially came to me, even then some clients only want a builders introduction & not a project manager, so I do not get to run every job.

Like any profesion worlwide, there are good & bad, Thailand & Pattaya is no diffrent, there are good & bad farangs as well I'm afraid to say.

What are your professional qualifications?

Also, if you insure on the basis that the work will be up to "high standards", which I believe were your words, who determines whether or not the works are up to the requisite standard? Knowing insurance companies quite well, I would be very surprised if it is easy to pursue a claim simply on the basis that the works are not up to the standard you were told they would be.

I see that there has been no reply to my queries, which were hardly unreasonable. I wonder why???

Because of the simple fact, that posters are allowed to post positive posts on good construction companies, but aren't allowed to post negative on them.

Forgot the expression for it!