Thai Woman given death sentence by Vietnamese court

Lite Beer

I thought this was originally about some Thai been given the deathe sentence for carrying drugs? Who gives a damn about fat or obese people? Start your own topic/forum.

IMO, if you carry drugs or do drugs then dont freakn cry when you get caught and have to face the punishment. If you are stupid enough to carry something for someone without eyeballing it in Asia....then you are more than stupid.

Wake up and smell the coffee people. Countries have laws and if you dont like them then dont go there. Its not rocket science.

Ive never had a problem in any country that Ive been, and always respect their ways. I may not always agree with their ways but then its not my country so I bite my lip till I leave.....its safer that way.

This particular lady is either very gullible or stupid. With that sort of weight, Id be asking questions if I was to carry anything for anyone'

Enough said

• Like 2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legalization now! Nobody is forced to use them so don't start with the ruining lives etc

Death penalty is outrageous by itself, but for drugs it is just crazy. Legalize and tax it, simple.

And thereby create another situation as has been with cigarettes. Smokers pay about 10% of the total health expenses associated with their addiction, and frankly, I find it offensive that the taxpayer picks up the rest.

Legalize anything if you wish, but the cost must reflect what is spent on medical expenses for those using the 'product'. Cigarettes should be $100+ a pack of 20 if the system is to recoup even close to the costs of treating smoking related illnesses. Alternatively, state resources should not be provided to a person who has inflicted illness or injury on himself through drug use, or any number of other health issues over which he has had control, e.g., obesity, except where there are contributing medical causes.

No, don't ever legalize hard drugs. Decriminalize it, but only for users. Script it to addicts and watch them as they ingest it, so they can't on-sell it, and treat it as the health problem that it really is. Big difference. Ask any junkie if they are happy to be a junkie. They aren't! The are sick!

Traffickers should be dealt with appropriately, 5 -10 years should sort them - and that's still more than what most pedophiles get :-( But then if addicts had access to their drugs in a clinically managed way most traffickers would be out of work anyway.

And as for cigarettes, governments everywhere are addicted to the huge taxes they collect from tobacco companies - and it's not like they put the money back into health systems to pay the costs for smokers dying from tobacco related illnesses.

Why just decriminalize it when it can be legalized and taxed and trillions made off of it, while cutting hugely into the profits of the cartels. The war on drugs is nothing but government jobs and creates opportunistic work for gangsters/cartels/lazy people.

• Like 1

Why just decriminalize it when it can be legalized and taxed and trillions made off of it, while cutting hugely into the profits of the cartels. The war on drugs is nothing but government jobs and creates opportunistic work for gangsters/cartels/lazy people.

The war on drugs will never be won. Every politician in every country knows this, but none will be first to admit it (until they leave office that is). Legalize the 'proven' non-addictive stuff and people won't have to use the bad stuff to get their highs. It also means they can be properly monitored and all the poisons that are cut into them by the dealers will no longer be there either.

The war on drugs will never be won. Every politician in every country knows this, but none will be first to admit it (until they leave office that is). Legalize the 'proven' non-addictive stuff and people won't have to use the bad stuff to get their highs. It also means they can be properly monitored and all the poisons that are cut into them by the dealers will no longer be there either.

You're preaching to the choir. We're on the same team :) . The drug war is one of the biggest hoaxes on the public, probably ever.... Those who don't believe it, get yourself educated.

• Like 1

Legalization now! Nobody is forced to use them so don't start with the ruining lives etc

Death penalty is outrageous by itself, but for drugs it is just crazy. Legalize and tax it, simple.

Right or wrong, not gonna' happen anytime soon. And you'll have absolutely nothing to say about it in a foreign country. So I believe you're totally missing the actual lesson to be learned. Which is: don't use drugs much less traffic in them.

Dont't do the crime if you can't do the time, they knew what they were risking, bla bla bla...still, death penalty is barbarian and sickening.

You can't fix stupid.

The death penalty indisputably works.

They never re offend!

Murder Rape Running drugs - its the perfect sentence!

Unfortuntley the death sentence does not work. People still commit these types of crime.

But back to the op, silly woman.

Drug Trafficing may get a lot worse with China becoming a major player in illegal drugs. Could see a lot more articles like this in the future.

Dont't do the crime if you can't do the time, they knew what they were risking, bla bla bla...still, death penalty is barbarian and sickening.

You can't fix stupid.

They never re offend!

Unfortuntley the death sentence does not work. People still commit these types of crime.,

Drug Trafficing may get a lot worse with China becoming a major player in illegal drugs. Could see a lot more articles like this in the future.

China becoming ??, change that to already IS a major player and has been for many years, without going into opium and many years gone by, try researching precursor chemicals coming from China which are used to produce all sorts of illegal drugs, Chrstal meth, cocaine, heroin and so on.

China produces over 100,000 metric tons of acetic anhydride a year, and imports more from other countries, THE USA for 1, plenty of this is then alledgedly diverted to the Golden Triangle and other places around the world.

Wasn't there a topic on Thai Visa recently about a vast amout of precursor chemicals bound for Holland for use to produce MDMA/ectasy alledgedly, I wonder where they came from..facepalm.gif

As for drug mules being caught, they'll continue being caught as long as trade continues and whatever the penalty, even death it will continue.

Edited by MB1

And thereby create another situation as has been with cigarettes. Smokers pay about 10% of the total health expenses associated with their addiction, and frankly, I find it offensive that the taxpayer picks up the rest.

Legalize anything if you wish, but the cost must reflect what is spent on medical expenses for those using the 'product'. Cigarettes should be $100+ a pack of 20 if the system is to recoup even close to the costs of treating smoking related illnesses. Alternatively, state resources should not be provided to a person who has inflicted illness or injury on himself through drug use, or any number of other health issues over which he has had control, e.g., obesity, except where there are contributing medical causes.

You are completely ignorant about the causes of obesity.

In my family, everybody is obese.

Whatever we try, we are still obese.

I take medication for hyper-tension and these type of medication makes me look obese.

In the morning, when I stand up of my bed, I can fit a size 38 trousers.

By the midday, I am completely swollen from water which is produced by the interaction from the medication and my body.

A size 46 trousers fits hardly.

Before calling people "obese", you should think first if they really had control over it.

Confuscious, you should really grab a book on comprehension, clear reading and thinking.

I called nobody 'obese', nor would I ever do so, because I have no knowledge of why they are that way.

What I did say was, "or any number of other health issues over which he has had control, e.g., obesity, except where there are contributing medical causes"

You would qualify for state resources under my model, because your obesity is a medical condition, but for somebody who is just a glutton, I believe that he/she contributes to a medical condition, and should be treated no differently from a smoker or an illicit drug user.

Edited by F4UCorsair

You can't fix stupid.

They never re offend!

Unfortuntley the death sentence does not work. People still commit these types of crime.

Of coure it works. Ever heard of a dead felon reoffending? OTH, ever heard of a person sentenced to life, getting out early (so often mysteriously after an election...), and then reoffending? Or even reoffending WHILE IN PRISON??!! I have. Oh, the death sentence works fine, but not unless it's used. Ask a prison guard. What's a lifer got to lose when he knows there's no death penalty?

For Thai people there are lot of opportunities. Nobody dies hungry if you have determination and will to work and succeed. But its only the greed that tempts such people to make more and more money by evil and bad means. Now just think about the sufferings to her immediate family members. Lesson: Think 1000 times before doing any bad thing especially its post impact. smile.png

For Thai people there are lot of opportunities. Nobody dies hungry if you have determination and will to work and succeed. But its only the greed that tempts such people to make more and more money by evil and bad means. Now just think about the sufferings to her immediate family members. Lesson: Think 1000 times before doing any bad thing especially its post impact. smile.png

Yes, think 1000 times, and know the lines you never, ever, cross. To so many, everything is now "situational" and "relative" and "open to interpretation". Some things need to be dealt with as absolutes.

The fact is that different times have different laws - governments make laws for lots of reasons and not all of them are good. Depending the age you live in and the place in the world and the society and religion of the day will set the laws you are subject to.

These laws are not laws of the universe they are the rules of man. I do not think the drug laws are particularly good, useful or made for good reason however if you go somewhere you better be prepared to abide by the law. I wish the justice systems worldwide were fairer and more just - especially in Thailand.

So she did he wrong thing and will now be punished - harsh

• Like 1

Of coure it works. Ever heard of a dead felon reoffending? OTH, ever heard of a person sentenced to life, getting out early (so often mysteriously after an election...), and then reoffending? Or even reoffending WHILE IN PRISON??!! I have. Oh, the death sentence works fine, but not unless it's used. Ask a prison guard. What's a lifer got to lose when he knows there's no death penalty?

Yes, think 1000 times, and know the lines you never, ever, cross. To so many, everything is now "situational" and "relative" and "open to interpretation". Some things need to be dealt with as absolutes.

What an incredibly narrow minded view!

What an incredibly narrow minded view!

Yes, isn't it amazing how an opposing view, esp. when it's a matter of life's harsh realities, almost always is?

Right. Now let's all open our songbooks and sing Kum ba yah.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

Yes I agree that if you fall foul of any country's laws, you only have yourself to blame and have to live [or in this case possibly die] with the consequences. But is this little Thai girl a greater threat to Vietnam's society than the 22 officials that are currently on trial there for putting millions of dollars into their own accounts through a land zoning/selling scam? Should they face the death penalty? (more likely a slap on the wrist and a substantial amount of money transferred into the judiciary's accounts)!

Actually, I think a government official, especially if an elected one, who proves corrupt should receive fairly harsh treatment. And in some cases it's not want of laws or penalties that prevents it. It's other, perhaps equally corrupt, government officials who for one reason and another overlook the crime. When that happens, the system has broken down. Funny how when populism thrives, corruption flourishes.

• Like 1

Weed? Yes. Cocaine, Meth, Yaba? No <deleted> way!

Why do you need to make a distinction? Why anyone or the government should decide which drugs are acceptable or which ones are not? I've done a wide range of drugs all my life and never stole,killed or whatever. Also, do you think the number of people who uses yabaa or heroin will increase if they are legalized? I don't think so because who wants to take them can do it with prohibition in place, here or in the most repressive countries. When there's demand there's offer and that will never change. Currently, the tougher the prohibition the bigger the benefits for the mafias, it is clear someone will always be willing to take the risk.

Really I do not understand why there are so many persons opposed to the death penalty---perhaps they are chiefly ignorant christians who suffer under the illusion that this present body is the only human life we will ever have,while in fact even their own scripture recognizes eternal life.It is a fact that no living being can ever die.The spirit or the life power within the body cannot die so in fact death is just a change of body,so what is the problem in killing a person who richly deserves to be relieved of the human form.That person has willingly risked losing it and so be it.That person will gradually evolve through the species to one day again have the opportunity to enjoy a human body and perhaps the next time he does have it he may use it properly, to get the hell out of hell and not come back.Read Bhagavada Gita AS it is if you dont believe me.It is online and free.

What are you smoking?

• Like 1

...Also, do you think the number of people who uses yabaa or heroin will increase if they are legalized? I don't think so because who wants to take them can do it with prohibition in place, here or in the most repressive countries. ...

Proof that all are welcome to post here.

Capital punishment is a difficult one. I think there are few circumstances where it should be applied (people who torture and murder, serial killers etc). But the penalty for drug trafficking, the death penalty? It's insane. Unfortunately, many people in this world are naive, stupid, down on their luck, believe they can get away with it, just the one time, so they can fix their other major issues in life and on and on. Are they stupid, sure...but they don't deserve to die for it.

All you pro capital punishment people (for trafficking drugs), disgust me. People need to pay for their mistakes, but not with their life. Things like this deserve a second chance. They aren't the big drug dealers, they are the patsies. Don't be so hasty to sentence someone to death...don't be so angry and realise people (including yourselves) can make bad judgments.

• Like 2

Many people here r not fair to this girl, people comment without knowing the complex truth about how the scam works - she believed that she was chosen to work in an auto parts company, she was given spending money on a trip and led to believe it is standard practice - a friend of mine was scammed by a clothing company and only had to take the samples by train across China but luckily she got suspicious searched and found powder and was brave enough to not fear the scammers and she dumped the consignment knowing that life would be hard but at least freedom.

People commenting so not understand that the people running this mule scam use advance hypnosis skills that are little understood by most peoples and that by using mules who do not know they r mules they believe success is gonna b higher

Truth is there r many mules who know they r mules, truth is also that there r many who do not know and some unwittingly carry many times not knowing - one victim actually believed that he was a diplomatic courier carrying sensitive documents and being paid for his security skill.

Please people do not judge if u do not know, Thank You

• Like 1

Many people here r not fair to this girl, people comment without knowing the complex truth about how the scam works - she believed that she was chosen to work in an auto parts company, she was given spending money on a trip and led to believe it is standard practice - a friend of mine was scammed by a clothing company and only had to take the samples by train across China but luckily she got suspicious searched and found powder and was brave enough to not fear the scammers and she dumped the consignment knowing that life would be hard but at least freedom.

People commenting so not understand that the people running this mule scam use advance hypnosis skills that are little understood by most peoples and that by using mules who do not know they r mules they believe success is gonna b higher

Truth is there r many mules who know they r mules, truth is also that there r many who do not know and some unwittingly carry many times not knowing - one victim actually believed that he was a diplomatic courier carrying sensitive documents and being paid for his security skill.

Please people do not judge if u do not know, Thank You

Before you go on with your hypnosis and mind-reading, if she didn't know, then she certainly doesn't deserve the death penalty. That's IF! Were I a judge or jury, I wouldn't be giving her death if I had any doubts about that.

BTW, how exactly do YOU know how many mules know who they are, and how many don't? 'Not so sure about someone who really SHOULD know, but actively avoids doing the looking and verifying to find out. If you can say that "many" don't know, then I guess I can say that "many", attracted by the money but wanting and assuming they can plead plausible deniability if caught, deliberately avoid finding out. And some mule masters no doubt encourage & facilitate that. But again, someone who truly isn't knowingly doing it is just guilty of stupidity, and that's not a hanging offense. Someone trying to exploit the plausible deniability gambit - possibly a whole different discussion, but other people in this world are much more deserving of my sympathy. Bottom line: I don't think anyone here is advocating the death penalty for someone not knowingly doing it.

It's not at all complex (unless you want it to be...). KNOW what you're carrying if you're carrying it. Is it really so hard? The police & customs won't think so...

• Like 1

Very few things in life are free. If someone was to pay me a substancial sum to carry an 'item' across a country or over borders, I would be very suspicious of that 'item'. Even more so in Asia.

I cant say that Ive heard of this hypnosis being used on people so they act as drug mules.... now that would be a hard one to use as a defence in a court of law. I can hear it getting laughed out already.... some people when they realise that perhaps they stuffed up and are now facing the ultimate penalty will grasp at straws. Do I blame them for doing so? No as Id probably do the same, but dont expect law abiding people or the upholders of the law to be so gullible.

Being poor or down and out is not an excuse to break the laws of any given country. Many years ago, people in England caught stealing food (to stay alive) were sent to Australia. By todays standard those laws were bloody harsh, were they therefore wrong? Who is to say. Today we are better educated and more aware of human needs and rights. Some countries have far stricter laws in relation to drugs than other countries. Malaysia is very clear on its policy and displays at most if not all of its border crossings their law which states "Death for Drug Traffickers" Now if that isnt a clear enough warning I dont know what is. Saudi Arabia has very strict laws on a lot of different subjects, and if I was to travel there it would be in my best interests to know their laws.

Travelling around the world is probably easier now than it ever has been, but with it are more risks. Everyone has to be vigilant to the risk of someone 'slipping' drugs into their luggage and plan/act accordingly. As the saying goes 'An ounce of prevention is better then a pound of cure'.

To me its common sense, be security aware, know what you are carrying in your luggage and abide by the laws of the country. Most people do this and never have a problem. Those that dont follow the laws shouldnt start crying when they get caught.

• Like 1

I do support the use of the death penalty but from the limited information cannot be 100% sure of her guilt. If she was duped into carrying the drugs unknowingly she did nothing wrong and I hope it can be proved in time.

Unless it has changed very recently, they always ask if anyone else packed your bags or gave you anything to carry for them. Case closed.

One problem is that a lot of people like to travel with brand new suitcases in order to look smart. IMHO this is a VERY BAD IDEA. The cases are mass produced and they all look the same. Do you see where I am coming from? It is better to travel with an old suitcase that one has owned for a long time as it will be unique and very difficult to duplicate. It is also a good idea to put a belt around the case as allegedly at some airports the baggage handlers put the baggage elevator as high as it will go. This causes the cases to fall and burst open so that items can be stolen.

Take care!.