Mini Bus Kanchanabury-BKK

swissie

Boycie has a point. I took a mini-bus advertised to terminate at Victory Monument and it dumped us somewhere out northwest of town and I ended up on a scooter taxi to Bang Sue to get the MRT home. White knuckle God-fearing drive with plenty of dicey U-turns and more stops than seats on the van. Never again.

Nowadays, I drive myself and it takes 2-1/2 hours from Asoke with no traffic and up to 5 hours on a Friday of a long weekend after work. But that was a BAD day to drive.

I prefer the big bus that drops somewhere on the side of some road on the north side (yes, I know- crap directions) but it's only a 100 baht taxi ride from home close to Asoke. Those drivers seem sane and the buses are pretty nice.

• Like 1

Bad news. Considering the fact that mini-buses originating from victory-monument service a wide variety of destinations and even seem to be able to adhere to their time-table most or the time. The less than perfect mini-bus service Kanchanabury-BKK surprises me.

Business opportunity for Falang with Thai-Wife? Start with 2 runs a day to victory-monument? 12 seater vans can be leased.

Not for me, but thinking of farang with Thai-wife living in Kancha. If done right, this could produce more income than selling noodles on a street corner. Just food for taught.

Cheers..

• 2 weeks later...

take the train

Before I bought a car, that was my preferred method.

Weekend tourist train for 120 baht round trip. IMO, the best deal I had ever found in tourism. If they ran a more frequent schedule, I'd leave the car at home and still be taking the train.

Unfortunately, the train runs a very limited schedule and doesn't fit everyone's needs, especially for weekend jaunts. Also, the last trip I took by train, the train was running especially late on the return and I'm pretty sure we exceeded the safe speed on the first half of the ride. It was only 100 km/hr (GPS) but everyone on board was getting bounced around. On the second half of the ride, the tracks were much smoother and the speed was much faster, but did not feel unsafe.

Still, if the train fits your schedule, It's a great way to go round trip for $4.