Phuket jet-ski intimidation 'has not gone away' – Aus Hon Consul

webfact

Phuket jet-ski intimidation 'has not gone away' – Aus Hon Consul
Alasdair Forbes

js.jpg
Hassles over hiring jetskis has long been a problem in Phuket. Photo: Mark Leo.

PHUKET: -- Larry Cunningham, Australian Honorary Consul, has slammed what he sees as wilful sweeping of facts about the jet-ski operators under the carpet, particularly in Patong.

His blast came after Monday’s meeting of jet-ski operators with Governor Maitree Intusut, at which the Governor professed to be satisfied with the operators’ actions to clean up their industry and reduce incidents in threats, intimidation, extortion and violence against customers.

The Governor said that “one foreign ambassador” had told him that he thought jet-skis should be banned because they were not safe.

“I replied, ‘If you bring up stories from three to four years ago, I have no idea how I can respond. But if you can tell me the ticket no, the date and the time, then I can assist you. Please be specific," Gov Maitree said.

But Mr Cunningham has hit back, telling The Phuket News that the problem is that the intimidation is so terrifying that few cases get reported.

“I have a very extensive contact base and people are telling me that nothing has changed at all.

“What [the provincial government] is doing now is they’re not reporting cases any more. They’re keeping everything completely and utterly hidden. They’re trying to smother all the statistics by not reporting them.”

The classic jet-ski scam of using threats to extort large amounts of money for the tiniest damage to a jet-ski is still rife, Mr Cunningham says.

“Nothing has changed at all. Just sit on Patong beach and watch the way these thugs behave. The insurance scheme [to cover minor damage to jet skis] is a crock of s**t. You’re dealing with criminal elements. It’s one of the most dangerous beaches on earth because of those jetski operators.”

With regards to the Governor asking for details about specific cases, Mr Cunningham said that many don’t make a report, because either they are unaware of his existence or that as soon as they mention that they may seek consular assistance, the price is negotiated downwards very quickly.

“There are just as many incidents – it’s just disgraceful. Their solution is sweep this kind of thing under the carpet and it’ll all go away.”

British Honorary Consul Martin Carpenter, though less forthright in his language, agreed that although he has not had a specific report for a long time, his many sources say little if anything has changed.

“It’s still the situation that whenever there’s an accident they have to go through these negotiations,” he told The Phuket News.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-jet-ski-intimidation-%E2%80%98has-not-gone-away%E2%80%99-aus-hon-consul-41521.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-08-23

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Educate and warn people not to use them... before they go to thailand

Well, a lot of people is trying to do so... The documentary "big trouble in Thailand" for example was a good warning... media are always speaking about this unsolved problem but for some kind of enchanting magic there are still tourists who rent out jet skis in Thailand... Maybe a big sign at the check in counter before living their respective countries might help.

• Like 1

Good on ya Larry - straigh talking no nonsense, keep up the good work mate

He's an aussie and calls it as it is.

The English guy is a little more diplomatic, "British Honorary Consul Martin Carpenter, though less forthright in his language, agreed".

James Wise, the Australian Ambassador is probably on the phone to him at the moment saying "Mate I know where you are coming from but you can't complain like that."

• Like 1

The English guy is a little more diplomatic, "British Honorary Consul Martin Carpenter, though less forthright in his language, agreed".

James Wise, the Australian Ambassador is probably on the phone to him at the moment saying "Mate I know where you are coming from but you can't complain like that."

As a dual national I can see both sides, but Larry is just what we need. Cut to the chase, get it sorted fellas - MArtin, in my limited dealings with him, has been much the same and a top bloke to boot!

• Like 1

As a dual national I can see both sides, but Larry is just what we need. Cut to the chase, get it sorted fellas - MArtin, in my limited dealings with him, has been much the same and a top bloke to boot!

He could find himself in trouble tho for being so blunt. The Thai authorities may not take to kindly to his frank and honest remarks and may bring pressure on the Ambassador to replace him with someone who leans more on the Thai side. The Hon Australian Consulate in Chiangmai is Thai and I could never imagine Jinda Chareon speaking ill of Thai scams and supporting Farangs. If she did speak up against the ills that Thais may be inflicting on tourists or Aussie expats or support an Aussie over a Thai she would probably find herself in the hands of Thai authorities for tarnishing the image of Thailand.

I wouldn't be surprised if Larry is replaced with a Thai for the sake of harmony.

He could find himself in trouble tho for being so blunt. The Thai authorities may not take to kindly to his frank and honest remarks and may bring pressure on the Ambassador to replace him with someone who leans more on the Thai side. The Hon Australian Consulate in Chiangmai is Thai and I could never imagine Jinda Chareon speaking ill of Thai scams and supporting Farangs. If she did speak up against the ills that Thais may be inflicting on tourists or Aussie expats or support an Aussie over a Thai she would probably find herself in the hands of Thai authorities for tarnishing the image of Thailand.

I wouldn't be surprised if Larry is replaced with a Thai for the sake of harmony.

Larry replaced ...never....he knows too much and he is a great worker not only for Aus tourists but tourists in general

Agreed - imagine the press is such a thing happened? PLus after what the Chinese ambassador said, this is nothing!

There have been enough attempts to prance around the jet-ski issue delicately over the years ... and nothing's worked. Larry's seemingly figured it out - don't ask anymore, tell it like it is. Who cares if the feelings of a few scammers get hurt?

• Like 1

I read recently that The Australian Government may be setling up a consulate on Phuket, due to the amount of consular assistance required here by Australian tourists. (a poor advertisement for Phuket in itself)

Anyway, my understanding is that, by law, all Government/public service positions must be advertised to the public, in Australia. Despite Larry acting in his role, for many years, the encumbent is not guaranteed of "winning" the position. There is a selection and interview process and he may lose out to a more higher qualified person, on paper.

I doubt he will lose his position for these comments, although it appears to be a loss of face for Gov Maitree when Larry releases a press statement basically calling him either misinformed, incompetent, corrupt, or a liar.

Ahhhh, maybe there will be yet another lawsuit for defamation. :) :)

Anyway, as mentioned in another thread, the Thai way of of fixing problems by just saying they are fixed in the media, simply is not working anymore. Until the western market actually hear that baht buses are running along the coast road for example, they will not return here.

The BS press releases do not work anymore. They have to actually fix Phuket because Phuket is broken.

• Like 1

No argument on the man himself. I have never met him but read the media reports concerning him and have seen a few interviews and I like the guy. Wish we had someone like him in Chiangmai or even any aussie for that matter as the Hon Consulate.

You never hear of Jinda Charoen she is something of a ghost Hon Consulate and even trying to make contact with her is a difficult task can takes weeks or months to eventually make contact if you need her. She stays well out of the light and keeps a very low profile doesn't want to be disturbed.

Storm in a teacup regarding any reactions to his comments! The bigger picture is in focus here, for once

He's certainly not mincing words. 'Fed up, had it up to the back teeth with the pussy-footing around' comes to mind.
  • Like 1

Storm in a teacup regarding any reactions to his comments! The bigger picture is in focus here, for once

He's certainly not mincing words. 'Fed up, had it up to the back teeth with the pussy-footing around' comes to mind.

Just a question not only for yourself but others on here, do you think that the Thai Authorities will bring pressure on him to keep his mouth shut? TAT would probably despise the man and be glad to see the rear end of him. He has been pushing this issue for years and I say good on him but I do have some concerns that Thailand may just get fed up and say, revoke his work visa and kick him out of the country. He is not a diplomat so not protected in that way.

Just a question not only for yourself but others on here, do you think that the Thai Authorities will bring pressure on him to keep his mouth shut? TAT would probably despise the man and be glad to see the rear end of him. He has been pushing this issue for years and I say good on him but I do have some concerns that Thailand may just get fed up and say, revoke his work visa and kick him out of the country. He is not a diplomat so not protected in that way.

They may not have to kick him out. He may be leaving by his own choice. He may have had enough of Phuket. Many leaving here now.

This may just be a parting shot at "the system" here.

Edited by NamKangMan

This governor is proving more and more that he has no clue what is happening on the island. Just let the DSI do their work and move out of the way.

Will they do their work, or just put their hand out for a slice of the pie?

Edited by NamKangMan

Larry's been the Australian Honorary Consul for ages - definitely for the last 9 years anyway. So I don't think that he's in danger of being replaced over this or that he's worried about being "looked closer at". Besides, the last thing TAT wants to see is a "Thailand's Aussie Consul kicked out for exposing corruption" headline.

However, he also owns a real estate agency, Phuket One Real Estate, which is a very reputable one (I suppose it has to be to avoid conflict of interest complaints) but a private business nonetheless. That might be a little more prone to political intimidation.

This governor is proving more and more that he has no clue what is happening on the island. Just let the DSI do their work and move out of the way.

Will they do their work, or just put their hand out for a slice of the pie?

They are doing their work.

They may not have to kick him out. He may be leaving by his own choice. He may have had enough of Phuket. Many leaving here now.

This may just be a parting shot at "the system" here.

Some are leaving, more are coming. That is the system.

The way Thailand fixes these problems is very easy. You sprinkle a little sugar around, shake hands with a few Ambassadors and consulates have a few photos taken and tell everyone it will be eliminated in 90 days. Next day round up a lone scapegoat parade him before the media get 50 of your mates to stand behind him and smile for another photo opportunity. Jobs done everything fixed.

Thai's see the Ambassadors and Consulates as only Farangs, uneducated morons who know absolutely nothing and they will suck up any bull <deleted> Thailand feeds them. Take the blinkers off Thailand as you are the ones being seen by the world as the fools, liars and con artists.

chooka, you have done a good job of describing the process but forgot the key bit .. after all you have said the Regional thai Givernor holds a press confernce and pronounces Ohuket as the HUB of No JET SKI SCAMS... youve got to have the HUB at the end