Can Egypt learn from Thailand?

webfact

Opinion

Can Egypt Learn From Thailand?
By JONATHAN TEPPERMAN

BANGKOK was rocked by anti-government demonstrations earlier this month — once a depressingly familiar sight.

But that bad news shouldn’t overshadow the good. Disruptive protests may have been all too common in Thailand just a short while ago, but in the last two years, they’ve become an anomaly.

The country has gone from a virtual wreck to a booming, and relatively stable, success story. Figuring out how it’s managed to do that is important, and not just for Thailand’s 65 million citizens. For if a place this polarized can pull itself back from the brink, other bitterly divided societies might be able to as well.

To get a sense of how far and fast Thailand has come, consider its recent past. Marketed to tourists as the land of a thousand smiles, Thailand spent most of the last decade fighting with itself.

The trouble really began in 2006, when the military, in connivance with royalists and the courts, overthrew the populist prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/23/opinion/tepperman-can-egypt-learn-from-thailand.html?_r=0

-- The New York Times 2013-08-23

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can Thailand learn from Egypt....?

Mubarak probably released soon. Nobody cares really... Let him cripple somewhere and think about the future (ok still a lot to be done but at least they think about future more than past).

Taksin and his passport... who cares... let him where he is and let the Thais build a real future instead of chasing the past.

• Like 1

So how did Ms. Yingluck, initially considered a mere proxy for her exiled brother, do it?”

The fact that everyone is irritated by the truce she’s negotiated is a good sign, not a bad one: it means nobody is getting everything he wants.

The reason everyone is irritated is not because nobody is getting everything he wants. It is because they are getting what they want and what they want is causing the country to become bankrupt. The people Yinluck caters to do not understand that you can't have your cake and eat it too. They want stipends from the government and then get angry that no one is buying their rice at the inflated price. The real reason that there are no demonstrations is that Yingluck has run out of money to pay the demonstrators. Period.

This journalist seems to have his head where the sun don't shine if he thinks it has anything to do with improved living conditions. whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

Can Iran learn from Syria, Can Tunisia learn from Turkey, what a lot of BS.

This article in the NYT written by whoever wants exposing and putting right. It is far removed from the correct. Maybe persons disagreeing with it should mail NYT and object to untruths and bad propaganda.

I suspect his source could well have been Robert Amsterdam.

It certainly wasn't anyone who has the faintest idea about what has happened and is happening in Thailand.

The headline should in fact read " Can Thailand Learn from Egypt"

Particularly those in power need to take careful notice for what they are doing now could well push the country in the same direction as Egypt.

I wrote down something when I first read about the Egypt riots and thought of what could have been and could still be in Thailand, I will post it here :

The first thing I thought of when I heard about the riots in Egypt were the words of the Joan Baez song : “I’ll show you young man with so many reasons why there but for fortune go you or I, Thailand”

It could so easily have been, in the not to distant past and still could still be in the future.

For I see the hate that has been generated by various ‘Leaders’ in the past for their own political ends carried on to this day.

I see it in posts on this site when some posters take every opportunity to slag off at the political entity they don’t like, at times posting outright lies that have been conjured up to promote hate.

I went along to a Democrat meeting out of curiosity and was met by a small group in red blocking the main entrance to the venue and the road with a ute full of loudspeakers, they were yelling and trying to generate as much noise and disruption as possible.

My grasp of Thai is pretty poor but I could understand that the message was all about what ‘they’ have done to our people and what should be done to them.

In other words you must hate them.

Went inside and listened to the speeches from the stage and they were all much the same thing, what ‘they’ have done and what ‘they’ are doing, sometimes accompanied by fist shaking.

Again ‘they’ are to be hated.

I though to myself, this isn’t what I want to hear, I want to know what, if you are elected you would do for the country, what you will do to get it out of the mess it is in.

I want to hear carefully thought out policies that will make things better for the people and the country I have chosen as my home.

One of the worst things about this hate business is that it is being taught to the young, remember during the riots kids being taught how to fire homemade rockets?

What are the red schools teaching the kids who attend? I would suspect the same as I heard from the red loudspeakers. This can only carry the hate forward into future generations.

I’m not much into ‘love thy neighbor’ but I do have a reasonable grasp of right and wrong and I know that preaching and perpetuating hate can only lead to more bitterness and confrontation and never to the reconciliation we are told everyone wants.

The answer? I don’t know the answer but then I am not in the position of having to produce an answer.

I just wish those who are in that position would do a better job of it.

• Like 1

hmmm... perhaps best if Jonathan sticks to his area of expertise and locale. He appears to be quite good at doing that.

But, as the above posts reveal, he got many more things wrong than he did right, regarding Thailand.

Of course, that's to be expected when anyone works so far outside what they are familiar with.

Many of the things he got wrong are so glaringly wrong, they are laughable. He really degrades his otherwise good reputation on the USA and Middle East topics by feebly and clumsily attempting to explain Thailand's situation.

Stick with what you know.

Tepperman_l_1.jpg

Jonathan Tepperman

Expertise

U.S. foreign policy, national security, international law, the UN, and the Middle East.

New York, New York

http://www.cfr.org/experts/human-rights-international-law-courts-and-tribunals/jonathan-tepperman/b16971

Edited by johnnie20110
  • Like 2

One journalist who clearly doesn't have a clue!

Indeed! It is a shameful display of ignorance about Thailand. Leave it to the New York Times "all the news that's fit to print" to be paying this guy a very respectable salary to write this tripe and nonsense. Having a battle of wits with Tepperman about Thailand would be having a battle with an unarmed man.

• Like 1

It is a shameful display of ignorance about Thailand. Leave it to the New York Times "all the news that's fit to print" to be paying this guy a very respectable salary to write this tripe and nonsense. Having a battle of wits with Tepperman about Thailand would be having a battle with an unarmed man.

It is a shameful display of ignorance about Thailand. Leave it to the New York Times "all the news that's fit to print" to be paying this guy a very respectable salary to write this tripe and nonsense. Having a battle of wits with Tepperman about Thailand would be having a battle with an unarmed man.

Agree. It reads like someone who has no clue has written this based on what someone from PTP's propoganda machine told him. Shame he didn't do some research first. Lazy sloppy journalism and poor editor too.

I have several Egyptian friends - they want a democratic free country, and most importantly freedom from the massive corruption which has held their countries development back for years.

Perhaps Yingluck could help, after all she's eradicating corruption in Thailand. blink.png

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

And there you have it.

I never realised until now just how lucky we all are to have Yingluck as our leader and saviour. Thanks to her vision, political expertise and good clean governance Thailand is now on the way to being the Utopia we all dream of where the economy is booming, everyone is richer than ever before and the smiles are wider than the average jet ski operator.

Three cheers for Ms, Shinawat.

• Like 2

How the usual suspects rant and splutter.The New York Times op-ed isn't penned by a retired sex tourist of limited education but by a first tier foreign policy expert.Actually he does portray too optimistic a picture but there's one basic truth in it, namely PM Yingluck has held the country together very well despite the hatred of the old elite and the unruliness of red mobs.

How the usual suspects rant and splutter.The New York Times op-ed isn't penned by a retired sex tourist of limited education but by a first tier foreign policy expert.Actually he does portray too optimistic a picture but there's one basic truth in it, namely PM Yingluck has held the country together very well despite the hatred of the old elite and the unruliness of red mobs.

Can you please list the things Yingluck has done to hold the country together?

• Like 1

Can you please list the things Yingluck has done to hold the country together?

Try reading the article

What do you expect it is the New York Times. They are the most left wing news paper in the USA. It is very apparent that this ? journalist ?, has no idea about the cause of the problems in the world. The best thing to do is let the people of Egypt solve their own problems. They do not need the EU or the USA to tell them how to solve the problems. coffee1.gif .

Edited by tomross46
  • Like 1