Changing Ownership From Mother-in-law To Wife

I posted here last year about a house we bought whilst in Thailand.We were unable to complete the deal while we were still there and eventually had to put it in my mother-in-laws name. We would now like to transfer the house to my wife's name while we are back there in November this year. Can anyone advise me on what the process is like for doing this ? We will be in Thailand for 5 weeks, but only 3 weeks in the same area that the house is in. I was wondering if this will be long enough and if anything could be done before hand to speed up the process at the land office.

My wife is under the impression that because it is a transfer from mother to daughter it should be straight forward . I would never take anything like that for granted !! :o

Option 1: Ask her mom to talk to the land office

Option 2: Ask your wife to get the land office's phone number from her mom, then have her call the office directly to get all the answers.

Thanks BKK you must be an extremely clever person. Are you always so helpful ? :o

In fact I am surprised that you didn't follow your own advice and get your wife to call the relevant authorities when you asked questions on here about Work Permits and Building Permits. Or do you have a different set of rules for yourself ? :D

I posted here last year about a house we bought whilst in Thailand.We were unable to complete the deal while we were still there and eventually had to put it in my mother-in-laws name. We would now like to transfer the house to my wife's name while we are back there in November this year. Can anyone advise me on what the process is like for doing this ? We will be in Thailand for 5 weeks, but only 3 weeks in the same area that the house is in. I was wondering if this will be long enough and if anything could be done before hand to speed up the process at the land office.

My wife is under the impression that because it is a transfer from mother to daughter it should be straight forward . I would never take anything like that for granted !! :o

hello boogie i had the same situation a few years ago when a farang married to a thai, the thai lost all her rights to own land etc but thankful the stupid rule was changed.

when the time came that my wife could own land we just went down to the land office with my wifes mother who stated that she wished to transfer the chinord into her daughers name they asked me to sign a form because my wifes ID card had my surname, the form stated that i had no right to the land, i cant remember if we paid land/house tax if we did i dont think it was much if the transfer

his between family the whole process was straight forward and we waited about 6 hours (thai time)

dont forget a copy of your passport

Thanks soap, thats good to hear. Very similar circumstances to mine,what with wifes ID card having my surname too. So hopefully it will be quite straight forward as my wife had thought . I understand that the tax will be about .5% as the transfer is between mother and daughter. I just have one question arising from your post,when you say don't forget a copy of my passport. Is a straight forward photocopy OK or did you have to get it notorized or anything ?

Thanks again.

Thanks soap, thats good to hear. Very similar circumstances to mine,what with wifes ID card having my surname too. So hopefully it will be quite straight forward as my wife had thought . I understand that the tax will be about .5% as the transfer is between mother and daughter. I just have one question arising from your post,when you say don't forget a copy of my passport. Is a straight forward photocopy OK or did you have to get it notorized or anything ?

Thanks again.

hello boogie

just a copy of your passport is ok, dont worry about it everything is straight forward theese days the hardest part is waiting in the land office for the paper work to be done

Thanks again.

Hi boogie. Should be as straightforward as soap suggests. Just make sure your wife checks there are no liens on the chanote. I know it doesn't sound good checking on her mother, but I can assure you it happens! Take the original passport, although they may need a copy. Notarization does not exist in Thailand, signing the copy in front of them is sufficient.

Thanks again Soap and Dragonman.

Actualy thats a good point about liens Dragonman. How would we check up on that? would the land office have a record?

Yes, the Land Office will have them attached to title. They are of course only written in Thai and can be many things. Just get your wife to check the chanote is "clean" and there is nothing written on it which she isn't clear about. She can ask the official.