Phuket Opinion: This could be heaven or this could be…

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: This could be heaven or this could be…
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_Westerners_financial_acrobati
Westerners' financial acrobatics sometimes fail spectacularly. Image: Gazette Graphics

PHUKET: A recent report about the problem of “homeless foreigners” from the West becoming a burden on the Thai state set off an unprecedented flurry of comments on popular online blogs.

Like so many dimensions of modern life, the problem of “homelessness” has reached global proportions, as cases like the diaspora of the stateless Rohingya from Myanmar show.

Although misery is relative, the subsequent online debate about what should be done about “down and out” Westerners in Thailand clearly touched a nerve among many expatriate residents.

The reactions ranged across a broad spectrum, as one might imagine, given the wide diversity of backgrounds of those who engaged in the debate. At one end, some were quick to dismiss those who “fell through the cracks” as hopeless drunks, junkies, sex addicts – or any combination of these.

Such commentators saw the plight of the homeless as a direct result of their own lack of self-control, maturity or other behavioral shortcomings. Hence, they should be forced to lie in the bed they made for themselves with no assistance whatsoever: end of debate.

At the other end of the spectrum, some people showed a great deal of sympathy, recounting inspiring tales of their own successful struggles to pull themselves up after bad times, many pointing out the pivotal roles that Good Samaritans – both Thai and foreign – had played in helping them rebuild their lives.

While there was a great disparity of opinion about what the Thai government, as well as diplomatic missions in Thailand, should do to address such cases, there was little debate that Thailand continues to be a powerful magnet for a great many people who, failing to find happiness in their home countries, seek it here.

This influx should come as little surprise given the way the country promotes itself as an “Amazing” tourist destination and makes entry easy for western visitors through lax immigration laws – visas on arrival, no mandatory travel insurance, and so on.

We live in an extraordinary age of technological advance, yet hobos, bums and the homeless remain a stubborn presence.

One fact has become increasingly self-evident: social stability depends primarily upon family and small-scale community support systems of the type that have never been adequately recreated by any economic system, from communist to capitalist and everything in between.

Any foreigner considering a move to Thailand is warned: it is possible to find happiness and prosperity here, but the safety net that will support you during times of trouble will be the one you have set up by yourself.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Opinion-This-could-be-heaven-or-this-could-be-22050.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-25

Absolutely correct. You are on your own. You may get bailed out a couple of times by pals but the bottom line is if you can't do it yourself it's all over.

That's a shock to people from Europe that are used to the Nanny state stepping in. Life will teach you a harsh lesson when you run out of money.

• Like 1

It's hard to get involved with people who you can see are tending towards getting themselves into trouble. Time and money being wasted without someone "lifting them self up", getting out of whatever trouble they are in. It's usually better to let them face the abyss alone than join them, due to wanting to help.

This idea of the village, small community, that people help each other. They know each other. Trouble makers and wasteful people are marginalised. There will always be people that are marginalised for whatever reason. Even in a village we have to take personal responsibility for ourselves. No one should be coerced into helping others, if they don't want to, they should do it because they want to. They will be judged by this.

Many homeless never do anything in order to keep a job and place to stay. Many people just fall into their habits (not bad habits) and are more than happy with their lives.

They should be allowed to live their lives, they have made their choices.

I'm not talking about those who have been human trafficked, enslaved or somehow hurt by the actions of others. That's a different story. It's hard to know what to do with people like these and my heart does go out to them. That said, life is never fair and we can only do so much.

Three old and I'm sure not perfect quote sayings.....

If your digging a ditch trying to get out. Stop digging.

If you have not hit rock bottom. You need to as its the only way you will know you are there.

Tough love is sometimes the best love to give.

Bottom line, some make a living. Or a life because they never had to figure out any of the above.

And I also though 100% agree wvhoreswell, these are the people we should all be trying to help. Not an old buddy down in his luck. I've been to the refugees camps on northern border. I cheer every time I read of an escape. These people have been through far worse than any of us could imagine as our worst nightmare. Tragically, all I can say is run run and run.