For the Thai basher community

Crazy chef 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago I lost my wallet in a open air market. About two months later I was back at the same market and this girl grabbed me and took me to her shop and handed me my wallet. All moneys about 15,000 and everything else still in the wallet. I gave her a nice award and my wife called the local radio station to tell of this woman's honesty.

If that's true it would not happen anywhere else on the planet. Good for you sir and good for the girl that returned it

• Like 2

A few years ago I lost my wallet in a open air market. About two months later I was back at the same market and this girl grabbed me and took me to her shop and handed me my wallet. All moneys about 15,000 and everything else still in the wallet. I gave her a nice award and my wife called the local radio station to tell of this woman's honesty.

If that's true it would not happen anywhere else on the planet. Good for you sir and good for the girl that returned it

Of course it is true.

Most of the 'shack living' construction workers I know are Burmese.

how many do you know?

There's the bunch that live at the end of my road, their kids come and play in my garden with their grandmother some days, no garden outside their shack. Their mother is 18 and working on site with dad for 200bht a day. They have a 3 year work permit, papers, and speak Thai. Nice farm back home in Burma, just working for a few years in Thailand to get some cash.

Then there's the bunch that live at my new house build, living in a shack besides my new house. They have to move the shack now they have finished my build. Three or four young women were levelling my new garden yesterday, all done by hand. They don't speak Thai, so I don't know them apart to smile and wave at.

Both the moobaan I rent on and the moobaan I am buying on, only employ Burmese.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

The workers in a shack near our house came running to my house a few nights ago as my dogs were barking at a passing dog. They had iron bars in their hands, shouting "pai nai?" I told them up the road and turn right.

Watching them run and start searching the area, I realized that they weren't interested in the dog so shout it was a dog not a person. Pretty funny but nice to know they are watching out for us. They do get a few beers from me from time to time for helping out with other little DIY jobs.

OP, where did you read this about Thais? Luckily all those type are concentrated in Pattaya.

The workers in a shack near our house came running to my house a few nights ago as my dogs were barking at a passing dog. They had iron bars in their hands, shouting "pai nai?" I told them up the road and turn right.

Watching them run and start searching the area, I realized that they weren't interested in the dog so shout it was a dog not a person. Pretty funny but nice to know they are watching out for us. They do get a few beers from me from time to time for helping out with other little DIY jobs.

OP, where did you read this about Thais? Luckily all those type are concentrated in Pattaya.

Nice attempt and Pattaya bashing as usual from the same "holly" peoplerolleyes.gif

I suppose in BKK, All Thai's are angels and never rip or scam any tourists, just as in Phuket, they are even bigger bunch of angelsblink.png

I suppose to find the real Thailand, one has to move to deep Isaan, into the village 50kms away from any signs of life.w00t.gif

You are a really nice guy, you pay them with beers for doing work for you, what an angel you truly are.bah.gif

You are a really nice guy, you pay them with beers for doing work for you, what an angel you truly are.bah.gif

Most of my neighbours would be insulted if I tried to pay them for helping me out. Same for me helping them.

Food and drinks is a much more acceptable way of saying thank you.

You assuming they would be or you have paid and they were insulted?

Do you think those living in the shacks need more drinks or money to buy food and clothing?

Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

Do you think those living in the shacks need more drinks or money to buy food and clothing?

Most of my relatives live in shacks. I've never noticed any of them being hungry. Many have a newer pickup than I drive. When I ask them what to bring, it's whiskey and beer, never food clothing or money.

I see, so because MOST of YOUR relatives live in the shack, you have assumed ALL or MOST want beer or whisky as a form of payment for work done.

Most of my relatives live in shacks. I've never noticed any of them being hungry. Many have a newer pickup than I drive. When I ask them what to bring, it's whiskey and beer, never food clothing or money.

I see, so because MOST of YOUR relatives live in the shack, you have assumed ALL or MOST want beer or whisky as a form of payment for work done.

I'm sorry you don't understand the difference between an employer, an employee and a friend.

You absolutely right, as a rule i do not call people who i hardly know, living next to me in shacks as friends, even more so when they do some work for me.

But clearly you understand Thai way, met on the bus this morning,by the evening its your best friend and week later its a brotherthumbsup.gif

Well at least he offers some form of 'payment' unlike yourself who goes on a forum to try and find a way NOT to pay a worker.

Many many times people have refused payment for things they have done for me and the gf. It's just helping each other as part of a community.

If you going to troll, at least have the decency to get facts correct, which mind you were clearly stated.

I refuse to pay workers who are caught stealing. I certainly do not pay workers with beerblink.png

Yes i am sure many many times people refused paymentthumbsup.gif and pigs started to fly without stop overs

Well at least he offers some form of 'payment' unlike yourself who goes on a forum to try and find a way NOT to pay a worker.

Many many times people have refused payment for things they have done for me and the gf. It's just helping each other as part of a community.

No difference to when I was back in Scotland. If someone helped me, I'd offer to buy them a pint. As I don't drink now, I offer them a bottle of whisky or beer. The construction workers near love their booze and I see nothing wrong with buying them a few beers today for helping me carry all the pot plants and trees from my old house off a friend's pick up truck and letting me borrow their electric drill for a couple of hours.
  • Like 2

Many times I have been given a helping hand and a cash payment was seen as an insult, yet when phrased 'to buy some beer' they would happily accept in most cases but some even refuse that offer.

It can be difficult to know when to and when not to make an offer. I'd rather offer and if refused, offer it for beer. If that is also spurned I make sure they know I appreciate their efforts and help.

Increasingly obvious that there are some here who cant accept that there might be *some* good in the Thai people : there is no way I would continue to live in a country - including my own - if I had such a low opinion of everyone around me. I'm incensed by the story of the cops who kidnapped two Italians for ransom, but I don't automatically transfer that to all Thai people.

• Like 1

A Cockney phrase to describe a tip, maybe in common use countrywide now, is to give them a drink.

Tommy Cooper, a much loved and very funny man, was mean to the point of it being a legend. On paying off a cab driver Tommy stuffed something in the cabby's top pocket and said "Here, have a drink on me." The cabby thanked him and drove off. A short time afterwards he reached into his top pocket expecting to find a fiver, but fished out a tea bag.

RIP Tom.

• Like 1

A Cockney phrase to describe a tip, maybe in common use countrywide now, is to give them a drink.

Tommy Cooper, a much loved and very funny man, was mean to the point of it being a legend. On paying off a cab driver Tommy stuffed something in the cabby's top pocket and said "Here, have a drink on me." The cabby thanked him and drove off. A short time afterwards he reached into his top pocket expecting to find a fiver, but fished out a tea bag.

RIP Tom.

Funny story, Bagwan, but without knowing the man I suspect lemoncake is like your departed friend, Tom. Lemoncake is a good example of what the OP was talking about.

Although I only spent 6 months in Thailand, it was my experience that rural Thais are mostly honest and helpful. I don't recall one bad experience, and I spent most of my time visiting Thai villages whenever I could.

Nobody knows what people will do if they are put in the desperate situation of no money, no job and no food. In those cases I give everyone the benefit of doubt and won't judge them. However, rural Thais and transient Burmese workers seem to be able to survive on very little

• Like 1

I'm sorry you don't understand the difference between an employer, an employee and a friend.

You absolutely right, as a rule i do not call people who i hardly know, living next to me in shacks as friends, even more so when they do some work for me.

But clearly you understand Thai way, met on the bus this morning,by the evening its your best friend and week later its a brotherthumbsup.gif

Your attitude might explain why your neighbors expect to be paid by you for doing neighborly favors. You see them as peons whose only redeeming value is they are available to work on your plantation as needed. Otherwise you want nothing to do with them.

• Like 2

Tell me again how they know you have a lot of cash in the house?

they even know that we usually have quiet a lot of cash in our house...

They papered the walls with it for decoration as they couldnt afford the gold leaf I havecheesy.gif

RIP Tom.

Funny story, Bagwan, but without knowing the man I suspect lemoncake is like your departed friend, Tom. Lemoncake is a good example of what the OP was talking about.

Although I only spent 6 months in Thailand, it was my experience that rural Thais are mostly honest and helpful. I don't recall one bad experience, and I spent most of my time visiting Thai villages whenever I could.

Nobody knows what people will do if they are put in the desperate situation of no money, no job and no food. In those cases I give everyone the benefit of doubt and won't judge them. However, rural Thais and transient Burmese workers seem to be able to survive on very little

Our locals like to do nothing more than invent stories, one of them when we bought the land even got the agent to tell us the wrong boundary so they could sell the 5 rai they stole later ( this land had no papers the rest is NSG3, it all backfired when the road he used to go up there was ours and we denied him access, at this point he even told us he stole the land , well actually said it was all the agents idea.

We thanked him for his honesty and still told him he couldnt use the road and walled the entire 16 rai plot.