'Drugs planted on Australian couple' in Thailand

webfact

There is no evidence that the drugs were planted to demand a bribe from the victims. Using unsuspected travelers is a well known way to smuggle things. A scarry expeirence nonetheless, as the consequences for them when caught would have been very serious.

You think it was a gift?

It was a handful of weed. That is not someone trying to use someone's bag for smuggling.

I have to agree.

Not exactly a drugs haul of the century was it? And quite frankly hardly worth the effort to plant these drugs in the first place.

The woman suspects there may have been fake customs officers and police at the airport.

To be honest we will never know if this story is BS or not, the reality is that anyone could make this up just to obtain some attention and free publicity.

Difficult to assume anything in this case.

• Like 2

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing is with a story like this is, do the people doing the planting of dodgy goods on innocent strangers actually know who will be searching the bags when they get to the airport, answer, probably not. So if these people doing the planting of said goods are to gain from this, then How ? Unless ALL the airport security staff are in on it.

Very bad news if this sort of thing is happening anywhere,.

What would have happened if they did get through security?

Would the planters have someone at their destination waiting to remove the drugs from these people, not knowing where these travellers would be heading, Probably not.

So all in all, it is obviously a home grown scam to extort money, and more black news for Thailand and its hope to encourage people to visit.

Another thought has crossed my mind too. If these people were experienced travellers, that then only spotted the problem of tampering with their luggage , why did they not see or check it before they left the hotel ????

Looks like it would be a pretty easy scam to run. Remember we are most likely talking about making millions of

baht on this scam, so bit of effort would be no problem. If I was running this scam, I would simply have the couple followed to the airport. At the airport would have a team of two police who would be in on the scam. When the couple arrived at the airport, the person who followed them would tip off the police team who the couple were. The two police men would approach the couple saying there was reports of people smuggling who looked just like the couple and could they please search the bags on the spot. Voila !! Drugs are found, the couple is whisked away to a nearby hotel, and then the fleecing begins along the same scenario of the famous King Power " shop lifter"....

No need to involve all the airport security, that would be too expensive..... :-)

the way you read it?, you obviously havent read it at all or simply cannot understand english very well so I will write this very slowly, they were going to fly from Bangkok to Phuket, not from Phuket to Bangkok. They never got onto their flight!!!!!!!!

That's not what the quoted article says. Maybe you're reading it too slowly! Try again.

• Like 1

Theory #17.

Mrs Gionetti was so embarrassed when she showed up without the herbs she had promised her daughter.

She had carried her home grown oregano all the way from Italy, but she just never found it after she asked her dimwit son to put it in her suitcase as they were leaving the hotel.

All kidding aside, this is an excellent cautionary tale. No matter how the "goods" got into their suitcase, I can't see an ending without a lot of heartache had they been searched, or sniffed out by drug dogs in an airport.

But I can think of a dozen ways the stuff could have gotten into their suitcase, most of which do not involve crooked officials or drug kingpins.

• Like 1

There is no evidence that the drugs were planted to demand a bribe from the victims. Using unsuspected travelers is a well known way to smuggle things. A scarry expeirence nonetheless, as the consequences for them when caught would have been very serious.

You think it was a gift?

It was a handful of weed. That is not someone trying to use someone's bag for smuggling.

I have to agree.

Not exactly a drugs haul of the century was it? And quite frankly hardly worth the effort to plant these drugs in the first place.

The woman suspects there may have been fake customs officers and police at the airport.

To be honest we will never know if this story is BS or not, the reality is that anyone could make this up just to obtain some attention and free publicity.

Free publicity maybe if she made it public which they did not. It was her mother who contacted the media and then the media contacted the woman. Her mother rang a talkback radio station because she was concerned what had happened and wanted to warn others. The two people in this story sought no media attention.

They might have made an enemy of somebody at the hotel, not necessarily the staff. This was obviously intended not as smuggling but to get them some cagetime, which seems an awfully personal attack on the couple. My own experience with hotel staff here in LOS is they are very humble and even if they didn't like you they wouldn't risk their jobs to set you up. My guess would be a fellow hotel guest who they had some altercation with and s/he plotted revenge for whatever reason.

sickening if this was a setup

The thing is its conceiveable that it was their stuff and they bottled out at the airport, but at the same time, anyone who has lived here any length of also knows there is some pretty bizzare sh*t that goes down as well in Thailand all the time, its known the BiB, politican's, civil servants, customs etc are bent,so to me it as equally conceivable that someone played silly buggers with their bags as well for some reason.

The airport is know for scams, if one remembers the king power episode, fake police running around in the airport etc

If it was a scam to extort money from someone, it really would be pretty easy to set up, all it would take is someone working in the hotel working in conjuction with someone at the airport, after all the hotel has copies of your passport photo page, your typically asked your next destination on the check-in card etc...all the info one would need is there, the hotel may even have arranged transport to the airport etc.

Who would have thought a few days ago that Thailand's finest would be holding tourists to ransom in the recent Italian job ?

• Like 1

They might have made an enemy of somebody at the hotel, not necessarily the staff. This was obviously intended not as smuggling but to get them some cagetime, which seems an awfully personal attack on the couple. My own experience with hotel staff here in LOS is they are very humble and even if they didn't like you they wouldn't risk their jobs to set you up. My guess would be a fellow hotel guest who they had some altercation with and s/he plotted revenge for whatever reason.

So...hotel guest steals other guests bags from behind reception, cuts locks on bags, plants weed in bags,replaces the bags... on the offchance that they might get busted...vs.... Somebody working at hotel in cahoots with police/customs is trying to scam a few million baht...... ummmm...... did you just get off the boat old chap? cheesy.gif

Edited by lemonjelly
  • Like 2

The link looks broken Webfact, page not found.

If there's any truth in this story that's both appalling and terrifying. That would be my ultimate travelers nightmare.

Incidentally I have noticed an increase in bags being tampered with. I went for four years without my bags being opened in transit and the last three trips have seen them opened. Customs are entitled to check the bags in transit, but I'd prefer if they put a sticker on the bag saying "Security checked and cleared in Glasgow/ Dubai / BKK" or whatever. I don't like the idea of nameless people rummaging around in my bags.

Link works for me.

Use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox.

the story is full of holes...

if i go from my hotel to airport to fly, there is little way someone will have chance to touch the bag before i check in.

They left their bags at reception for 30mins while out sightseeing, then went to the airport. It's all there. Jeez.

if i go from my hotel to airport to fly, there is little way someone will have chance to touch the bag before i check in.

They left their bags at reception for 30mins while out sightseeing, then went to the airport. It's all there. Jeez.

And between taking their bags from the hotel to the airport they didn't notice that the locks had been broken and the straps cut until they were checking in?

How many of you have seen the YOU TUBE video where they open locked zippered bags with a lead pencil. Piece of cake. Easy if you know how to do it. It doesn't matter how many locks you have. They open and lock your suitcase again. Easy access. The only way to stop this would be to plastic wrap your suitcase. But then for the professional thief this would not present a problem either.

You think it was a gift?

I have to agree.

On the contrary, it's a potentially very easy money-maker for a pittance of outlay and likely kept somewhat under the radar. Also, this is Thailand where everyone seems to know everyone else, such that a scheme of this nature is child's play.

Either way, bit of a risky way for publicity, what, though unsurprising that you would tow this line. saai.gif

The Thai apologists have been working overtime on this one. Thais would never set a tourist up in a scam and the BIB would kidnap a tourist, Everyone who comes to Thailand is a drugged out criminal who is trying to ruin Thailand's tourism and the western media are helping them.

And between taking their bags from the hotel to the airport they didn't notice that the locks had been broken and the straps cut until they were checking in?

Well apparently not or it is likely we wouldn't be reading this. How's about this: loaded into the back of a taxi/shuttle by hotel staff (?), bung the bags onto trolley, myriad things happening at once--keeping an eye on flight info, shopping for neck cushion, toilet ablutions, etc--minds tend to be on other things when in holiday mode, blah blah. Sorry, I just don't see the conspiracy, but carry on if it blows your hair back. wink.png

• Like 2

The Thai apologists have been working overtime on this one. Thais would never set a tourist up in a scam and the BIB would kidnap a tourist, Everyone who comes to Thailand is a drugged out criminal who is trying to ruin Thailand's tourism and the western media are helping them.

And your post is full of sense and reason?

Both Thai apologists and those that slag of Thais and Thailand at the drop of a hat, need to open their eyes and not generalise to suit their prejudices.

• Like 2

And your post is full of sense and reason?

Both Thai apologists and those that slag of Thais and Thailand at the drop of a hat, need to open their eyes and not generalise to suit their prejudices.

Not slagging off at Thailand the BIB did kidnap tourists and extorted money and scams are going on daily. I didn't make this stuff up it is well documented and Ambassadors from around the world are complaining about this.

interesting intervue on the radio, and goofy advice from the embassy, " watch out for persons that may follow you to the hotel" after they were at the hotel.

If i were in that situation, I would not bother bringing my stuff back, just carry on and ditch the bags and contents that may have drug residue on them.

[sarcasm]

oh yeah, i think its again a story that people hear on barstool, exactly like the story about tourist getting abducted in the middle of Bkk by the police itself, really unbelievable, certainly a bsdry.pngdry.pngdry.png

[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]

oh yeah, i think its again a story that people hear on barstool, exactly like the story about tourist getting abducted in

the middle of Bkk by the police itself, really unbelievable, certainly a bsdry.pngdry.pngdry.png

[/sarcasm]

Well what would u do if it did happen as they describe, and don't say it is impossible in this crazy country.

As you're checking in, somchai plod taps your shoulder and asks you to come along sir. Before you know it, you have two options. A couple of million to get out of the country or 5 years in the clink......?

You think it was a gift?

I have to agree.

On the contrary, it's a potentially very easy money-maker for a pittance of outlay and likely kept somewhat under the radar. Also, this is Thailand where everyone seems to know everyone else, such that a scheme of this nature is child's play.

Either way, bit of a risky way for publicity, what, though unsurprising that you would tow this line. saai.gif

OK then, here is a couple of genuine questions:

If someone plants drugs into the cases of unsuspecting innocent tourists, how does the person or people who planted the drugs make money out of it, how does this scam work? I really have no idea. I am sure someone at the other end doesn`t approach the woman and say; excuse men madam, may I have my drugs back please?

I have never in my whole life had dealings with drugs. The woman during the radio interview stated that the drug was marijuana. I have never seen marijuana and wouldn`t know the difference by sight, between this and any other types of drugs. So how would anyone who has never had dealings with drugs know what they were?

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

From the radio interview, it sounds like they suspect the hotel staff of being in on it -- they left their bags behind the desk before checking out so they could go for a 30-minute walk round town.

That is truly scary -- because what can you do about it?

Just this morning the bell boy asked if I would like to leave my luggage behind and collect later. Thank god I didn't. Could have happened to me. And this is the first time any bellboy offered.

[sarcasm]

oh yeah, i think its again a story that people hear on barstool, exactly like the story about tourist getting abducted in

the middle of Bkk by the police itself, really unbelievable, certainly a bsdry.pngdry.pngdry.png

[/sarcasm]

Well what would u do if it did happen as they describe, and don't say it is impossible in this crazy country.

As you're checking in, somchai plod taps your shoulder and asks you to come along sir. Before you know it, you have two options. A couple of million to get out of the country or 5 years in the clink......?

humm humm didi you forget your prescription glasses?

you didnt see it was only pure sarcasm.... [sarcasm]...[/sarcasm]

You think it was a gift?

I have to agree.

OK then, here is a couple of genuine questions:

If someone plants drugs into the cases of unsuspecting innocent tourists, how does the person or people who planted the drugs make money out of it, how does this scam work? I really have no idea. I am sure someone at the other end doesn`t approach the woman and say; excuse men madam, may I have my drugs back please?

I have never in my whole life had dealings with drugs. The woman during the radio interview stated that the drug was marijuana. I have never seen marijuana and wouldn`t know the difference by sight, between this and any other types of drugs. So how would anyone who has never had dealings with drugs know what they were?

Everyone in Thailand has one relative in the police force. Just get him to wait at the airport and tap you on the shoulder. Follow me sir.

At the end of it, you are in possession of drugs.