ED Visa limit?

Is there a limit to duration/years of study for an ED visa?

Let me explain:

I entered Thailand in Sep 2009 on a ED Visa. ProLanguage was the procurer. I learned Thai and now English.

I need two more years of "stay" till I reach 50 and be eligible for a Retirement Visa.

Once I exhaust the Language Learning period, would a University degree study offer those 2 required years?

There is no limit other than what schools course of study limitations are.

Switching to a University would be fine. Perhaps even better because you would get one year extensions if you are not getting them now.

Thank you Joe.

I guess my next thread/question would be:

Anyone knows of a University/College that offers online or not full time courses?

So far i know you don't get extensions based on online courses, only for class based courses.

U cannot get a retirement visa until 65 now,new ruling.

50 one can get a multi o visa with 65,000 baht a month or 800,000 baht in a bank,this is for uk now

This appears to be somewhat confused.

Perhaps one of the "experts" will comment!

50 one can get a multi o visa with 65,000 baht a month or 800,000 baht in a bank,this is for uk now

I think you misinterpret that piece of information.

"Hull" states that you must show enough income or money in the bank if 50+(In essence you must comply with the rules for a 1 year extension of stay), but if you are 65+ and you are recieving an official pension any ammount will do.

"Hull" states that you must show enough income or money in the bank if 50+(In essence you must comply with the rules for a 1 year extension of stay), but if you are 65+ and you are recieving an official pension any ammount will do.

Mario

Thanks ----exactly as I thought.

The over 65 provision does not provide a "retirement visa" . What is available is a multi-entry "O" visa valid for one year. This visa cannot be extended unless the holder can meet the financial requirements for an extension based on retirement/marriage.

Enough income is 65,000 baht a month now or 800,000 baht in a uk bank. 65 or over any amount if having a pension

somtampet

You seem to be missing the point.

Someone over 65 without the necessary finance can never secure a "retirement visa" or an extension of stay.

The best that can be obtained for a person aged 65+(without the finances) is a multiple entry "O" visa valid for one year which if used wisely would provide at the max. a stay in Thailand of 15 months. Once the visa expires the only option for someone without funds is a journey back home !

Edited by jrtmedic

somtampet

You seem to be missing the point.

Someone over 65 without the necessary finance can never secure a "retirement visa" or an extension of stay.

The best that can be obtained for a person aged 65+ is a multiple entry "O" visa valid for one year which if used wisely would provide at the max. a stay in Thailand of 15 months. Once the visa expires the only option for someone without funds is a journey back home !

100% correct,thats what i said but you missed my point,however these are recent changes,and could change again.

The last ten years i have had a multi o,got it in birmingham consulate,and no probs.Then 2 years ago i had to show 900gbp per month for a new multi o,even though they didnt look too closely,as i have had 1 years of multi o visa from them.

I am 61 yo now,and when i renew in sept 2014,providing nothing changes, i have to show 65,000 baht or 800,000 baht in uk bank or a combination of both, obviously in equiv gbp.I also could marry my gf of 9 years and get an extension of marriage and show 400,000 baht or even get an ed visa.

When i am 65 i can get a multi o with any amount of pension or go for a retirement visa so i dont have to go back to uk every 15 months,and dont have to do a 90 day visa run

Hope this clarifies i arent missing the point,but i didnt want to thread <deleted> so kept it short

The point is that there is a difference between a visa and an extension of stay.

What you are taking about is getting a visa. For that the rules have now changed in the UK. The rules for getting an extension of stay from immigration in Thailand based on retirement have not changed.

If you meet the requirements you can get an extension of stay from immirgaiton every year, without the need to return to the UK.

There is no retirement visa. Based on over 5o, you can get either a non-O visa or an O-A visa.