UK home Insurance

manfriday

I hope that my post is not standing on anyone's toes as this thread is about insurance in Thailand.

I have been visiting LOS on a holiday basis (30 day) for the last 15 years, but this coming October I am to spend 6 months in Thailand. This will be a test to see if I really want to move to Thailand on a permanent basis.

I live in the UK and will leave my house empty for the 6 months that I am away.

My current house insurance (buildings & contents) will be null and void as the insurers require that it is not left unattended for more than a 60 day period in any one year. So my question is: Is there a UK expat out there that has experienced this situation and found an insurance company that will insure an empty (gone on holiday?!?) dwelling at a reasonable premium.

Thank you in anticipation.

Do you not have any family or friends that can come and look after your house to see everything is ok, possibly staying a night or a few days? That might qualify. Have you thought about renting it out for the period you are away? If you live near London you'd have no trouble.

You say you are going to try 6 months in Thailand this coming winter to see if your like it or not. You will indeed. The weather will be mostly dry and sunny and relatively "cool" from November onwards. Pretty much perfect. I think you'd be better advised coming for 6 months over summer starting in April with the hot season at its peak with sweltering days in the 40's followed by the wet season when it rains a lot, the roads are covered in mud and mosquitoes abound. If you like it then, you'll have no problems.

Do you not have any family or friends that can come and look after your house to see everything is ok, possibly staying a night or a few days? That might qualify. Have you thought about renting it out for the period you are away? If you live near London you'd have no trouble.

You say you are going to try 6 months in Thailand this coming winter to see if your like it or not. You will indeed. The weather will be mostly dry and sunny and relatively "cool" from November onwards. Pretty much perfect. I think you'd be better advised coming for 6 months over summer starting in April with the hot season at its peak with sweltering days in the 40's followed by the wet season when it rains a lot, the roads are covered in mud and mosquitoes abound. If you like it then, you'll have no problems.

Thank you galoubet for your response.

Most of my family live away, but I do have a cousin that lives close by that checks the house regularly.

I also email the police to let the know who is the keyholder in case there is a need for them to gain entry.

I will not be renting it out. Too much hassle and I don't need the rent money. If I decide to live in Thailand on a permanent basis then I may rent it out.

I have holidayed in Thailand for almost all of the months of the year with the exception of September, so I have a fair understanding of the weather patterns. This 6 month test is not really about the weather, the Thai people, culture, food et al. Its about me and whether I feel that I can settle down and enjoy my retirement and perhaps dotage! So I have chosen to visit Thailand from October through to April and miss the UK winter.

So if there is anyone with information / experience about unoccupied house insurance it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks

Peter