Tourist Visa

I'm living in Thailand and I read that being from USA, I can get a 30 day Tourist Visa upon arrival. However I've been told that if I arrive on foot (or by bus) it will only be for 15 days. I am near the Cambodian border and could cross and re-enter every 30 days (at Chong Chom) for years IF it is that simple. Does anyone have the difinitive answer?

You will get 15 days if you enter by land. It seems that some reports indicate that the Thai immigration officers are numbering the entries and are limiting them to 4. Your options are to get a double entry tourist visa in a neighboring country, marry a Thai and extend your entry for 1 year or if you're over 50 extend for 1 year for retirement. (you must meet the financial requirements). Otherwise your visa exempt land entries "could" be limited to 4 which is 60 days and would not be cost effective.

Thailand's immigration rules are designed to prevent or discourage foreigners from living here year after year unless they meet the qualifications for Non-Immigrant O visas and extensions. The primary intent is eliminate those who work illegally and those who live off the proceeds of criminal enterprise. The rules make it tough on some perfectly nice people who are under 50 and unmarried and have enough overseas income to live here, but that's just collateral damage.

From time to time the rules and the ways in which they are enforced are changed a bit in order to make the system more effective. Things get tougher for border runners. So, a scheme to game the system that seems viable today might become unworkable tomorrow. They might, for example, make some deal with Cambodia, Laos, etc. that would put a wrench in the works.