Legal Adult Age In Thailand

VanZam

This shouldnt take long to answer..

I have a freind who wants to leave thailand for a holiday, shes 18.

Her parents are dead set against it as shes going to visit her bf etc.

What is the legal age at which a thai may leave thailand without parental consent?

Cheers..

Van

This shouldnt take long to answer..

I have a freind who wants to leave thailand for a holiday, shes 18.

Her parents are dead set against it as shes going to visit her bf etc.

What is the legal age at which a thai may leave thailand without parental consent?

Cheers..

Van

She can get her own passport and doesn't need parental consent. The problem will be getting a visa.

That's just the beginning of potential problems .... but for travel etc ... I think 18 is correct.

Personally I'd not be taking someone that lives at home out of the country without her parental consent.

The Dude can answer this one as he has 1st hand experience in the matter; so put down your shovel OP cause you are not going to dig it. The Dude and his hot gf went down to get a passport for her 2 years back. The Dude's hot gf was 19 at the time. The Dude and his hot gf were told they needed both parents signatures to obtain it. Fortunately for Them, The Dude's hot gf's mother had no problem with this. The Dude's hot gf's father is deceased so a copy of his death cerif was needed. Sorry to be bearer of any undiggable news. Can you dig that?

They may not prevent her from getting on the plane, but they could have him arrested on his return; there are various crimes in which taking children not yet of the age of majority (defined as 20 yo) away from their parents constitutes a form of kidnapping, a charge which can be aggravated further if sex is involved.

A lawyer friend recently explained to me that everything Thais do until the age of 20 is theoretically subject to the approval of the parents, including sexual activity. While the age of consent is set much lower (16, I think) that only holds PENDING the parents' approval (typically for marriage purposes, I suppose). Technically, anyone with a 19 yo partner could be locked up for a form of kidnapping/statutory rape by that partner's parents, even if the partner disagreed with them.

I would advise our members to be very, very cautious in dealing with any relationships with those under 20 in Thailand.

"Steven"

The Dude can answer this one as he has 1st hand experience in the matter; so put down your shovel OP cause you are not going to dig it. The Dude and his hot gf went down to get a passport for her 2 years back. The Dude's hot gf was 19 at the time. The Dude and his hot gf were told they needed both parents signatures to obtain it. Fortunately for Them, The Dude's hot gf's mother had no problem with this. The Dude's hot gf's father is deceased so a copy of his death cerif was needed. Sorry to be bearer of any undiggable news. Can you dig that?

Does the dude have any pics of the hot gf?

Because the dude loves to share.

They may not prevent her from getting on the plane, but they could have him arrested on his return; there are various crimes in which taking children not yet of the age of majority (defined as 20 yo) away from their parents constitutes a form of kidnapping, a charge which can be aggravated further if sex is involved.

A lawyer friend recently explained to me that everything Thais do until the age of 20 is theoretically subject to the approval of the parents, including sexual activity. While the age of consent is set much lower (16, I think) that only holds PENDING the parents' approval (typically for marriage purposes, I suppose). Technically, anyone with a 19 yo partner could be locked up for a form of kidnapping/statutory rape by that partner's parents, even if the partner disagreed with them.

I would advise our members to be very, very cautious in dealing with any relationships with those under 20 in Thailand.

"Steven"

You absolutely right. Some can remenber Soi Zero in Sukkhumvit some years ago ... It was that bar, the young were obviously hot and young. They were also not shy, and willing to have fun. But, if you took one, Police will follow you, and then the night will finish with a good old policeman who were so sorry to learn your sex partner had only 18 y old and her parents have give her missing. So, kidnaping her Sir? Ican't believe Sit, you look good guy, what can I do.

Here the end was some thousand given to the crook, but the danger is big when you meet youngster.

You absolutely right. Some can remenber Soi Zero in Sukkhumvit some years ago ... It was that bar, the young were obviously hot and young. They were also not shy, and willing to have fun. But, if you took one, Police will follow you, and then the night will finish with a good old policeman who were so sorry to learn your sex partner had only 18 y old and her parents have give her missing. So, kidnaping her Sir? Ican't believe Sit, you look good guy, what can I do.

Here the end was some thousand given to the crook, but the danger is big when you meet youngster.

Ummmm... O K :D

totster :o

"Steven"

I look good guy look crook but good

Well after having read all this I thought I would seek some Thai directives from a Lt Col BIB that lives up the soi.

It would appear that twenty is the magical age for most things. Up to twenty, parental consent is required for just about everything.

You can vote at 18 and be in a licenced establishment, but you are not supposed to drink legally till you are twenty :o You can purchase cigarettes at eighteen, but not supposed to smoke them unless your parents agree.

The legal age for driving is eighteen, and when asked why all the school kids of fifteen go to school on bikes, he replied that it was only dangerous when caught. (read tea money)

Sex with a female under twenty, consentual or otherwise, is another story, and far too complex to go into on this forum.

Perhaps somebody can provide a decent government link, alternatively come up with a definitive list.

As long as you're not talking about prostitution, what I posted just before is pretty much the straight dope on legal relationships. 20 and over, they're free agents (although they are then obligated by law to support their parents). Below 20, even if they are legally over the age of consent the parents can still have you over a barrel. Proceed with caution.

(Ijustwannateach Posted Today, 2006-04-18 11:04:27) 20 and over, they're free agents (although they are then obligated by law to support their parents).

Can this be true ? What is the sentence for not supporting your parents?

Ok...let's just say she can make a passport and somehow leaves for the holidays with you against the parents approval. What would happen to her when she get back?....she may not have any home to come back to. Her parents may cut her off from the family's tree. It happens all the times in thailand. What then? Are you willing to support her from then on?

Think about the consequences carefully before you jump into anything.

Whilst the Child Protection Act 2003 has defined an age of 18 (International standard) as being applicable for adulthood, previous legislation has not been amended. This means that the young lady in question would not be able to obtain a passport without a letter of consent from both parents. However she can go where she likes where only an ID is required as she is not considered a child. :o