Best picnic spot in Chiang Mai for 4 year old?

onvacation

I am looking for an appropriate picnic spot where we can celebrate our 4 year old child birthday. There will be about 15 4-5 year old. I want to find a place where they can run freely, fish, play some sport etc.

Looking for a place about 20 km from old town. If possible parks with picnic tables.

I don't like suan buak haat just too polluted.

How is the weather in Chiang Mai in Oct?

Thanks

Edited by onvacation

+1 for Huay Thung Tao lake

20 baht entrance fee

Young kids tend to get in free, or cheaper.

But if not then I agree a cost of 20 baht per kid is clearly an insane amount of money to spend on a birthday party. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, thoughts and concerns:

Huay Tueng Thao offers a lot of space for a picnic in a grassy area somewhere, as well as rafts and covered restaurants. You can't fit 15 kids (plus adult supervisors) on a raft, so if it's dry you could pick any grassy area on any side of the lake. Or when it rains then pick one of the covered restaurants on the swimming side of the lake.

As for the weather, late October is more likely to be dry than early October, which can actually be very wet if you're unlucky.

Other areas with enough space and grass, if it doesn't rain:

* Inside CMU near the Red Sala (there is a big field with some trees for shade)

* Horizon Resort and Botanical Gardens on the Doi Saket Road. There are some animals too to look at which could be fun. There is an entrance fee here.

* Ob Khan gorge; good for a swim but strong currents is a potential problem still in October, especially early october. Will be more of a challenge to keep everyone alive there with a big group.

* Royal Flora may be worth considering (and/or the Night Safari)

* Valley Coffee in the Mae Hia area, past Doi Kham temple.. Lots of space and quite nice and remote, but not if it rains. And you would need to make food & drinks arrangements prior, possibly with you supplying some and the restaurant supplying some. There is a dude nearby who offers horse riding.. That could be fun for kids too to try.

* Chiang Mai Zoo

* Small Farms, on the way to Doi Inthanon (a bit far perhaps)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I read in one of the forum that 'only poor Thais picnic' is that a myth?

I plan to provide pizza, juice, iceream and cake.

What say you?

I don't think it's much of an issue. Of course it takes very little money to bring a mat, buy some chicken and sticky rice and a bottle of whiskey and relax..that's cheaper than going to a resort, yes.

I wouldn't think of it for poor people only though. It also depends on the quality of the overall experience.. probably you'll have interesting food and fun games prepared. That makes it pretty nice.

And.. it's a kids party; they'll have plenty of time left in their lives to worry about class and what poor people may or may not do. Now's the time to have fun.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

I read in one of the forum that 'only poor Thais picnic' is that a myth?

I plan to provide pizza, juice, iceream and cake.

What say you?

I don't think it's much of an issue. Of course it takes very little money to bring a mat, buy some chicken and sticky rice and a bottle of whiskey and relax..that's cheaper than going to a resort, yes.

I wouldn't think of it for poor people only though. It also depends on the quality of the overall experience.. probably you'll have interesting food and fun games prepared. That makes it pretty nice.

And.. it's a kids party; they'll have plenty of time left in their lives to worry about class and what poor people may or may not do. Now's the time to have fun.

Thank you so much. I have Huay Tung Tao in mind. This will be about a 35 minute drive for almost everybody I plan to invite. I hope they don't mind the drive. Do Thai usually answer RSVP? Since the location is quite far from the city I had like to know how many people will come. I am not planning to do goody bags...those, to me are just a waste. What do you think?

* Valley Coffee in the Mae Hia area, past Doi Kham temple.. Lots of space and quite nice and remote, but not if it rains. And you would need to make food & drinks arrangements prior, possibly with you supplying some and the restaurant supplying some. There is a dude nearby who offers horse riding.. That could be fun for kids too to try.

Winnie do you have any more detail about the horse riding please. Young fellas never been and I have been threatening to find a place.

FYI the lake is very close to the city. Lovely spot but will take lots of supervision lifeguarding. There are restaurants dotting the edges that provide a full range of Thai food that is pretty good. I suggest the last restaurant, if you go right upon entering, that you come to before taking a left at the end of the lake. It has a nice open area of grass and lots of parking.

Mentioned by Winnie, Horizon Village for me, one of the most stunning areas of CM. You can find a spot by yourselves on one of the trails and then do the playground, look at the animals etc. Something like 80 baht for adults but kids are half, though might want to check cut-off age. About 10-15kms east/NE on CR Road 118. No pics do it justice:

horizon-village-resort_5.jpg

• Like 1

Winnie do you have any more detail about the horse riding please. Young fellas never been and I have been threatening to find a place.

I think I can find the guy's phone number, not sure if he speaks English.

The place is on the way to Valley Cafe, which is here:

http://goo.gl/maps/o0gt2

If I can't find a phone number then I'd just go on a weekend; you'll see the area going there, or if not then at Valley Cafe they will know how to contact him. He actually offers horse riding lessons for kids. Prices seemed reasonable; not dirt cheap, but not insanely expensive either.

Some pics of Valley Cafe:

http://www.hungryfatguy.com/2012/11/valley-cafe-chiangmai/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Valley-Cafe-ChiangMai/330171780362872

• Like 1

Mentioned by Winnie, Horizon Village for me, one of the most stunning areas of CM. You can find a spot by yourselves on one of the trails and then do the playground, look at the animals etc. Something like 80 baht for adults but kids are half, though might want to check cut-off age. About 10-15kms east/NE on CR Road 118. No pics do it justice:

horizon-village-resort_5.jpg

Our experience was that some of the attractions were not kept up or working at all. Also everything is an add on expense so they bring you to a boat for example and there is a separate charge to ride on it. Also when we got off the tram to look around one of the areas we were stranded with young children and old grandparents and I had to walk all the way back to the front and get them to come give our family a ride back.

The only thing about Horizon (Suan Taweechol) is that if you go on a weekend, the owners will be there and they are both miserable sods that don't really like children. If they see that many children, the man will follow you everywhere in his golf cart and complain miserably if the kids get any crumbs on the ground, or complain if the kids feed the animals too much, etc. The last couple of times we went there on a weekend, the owners ruined our time there. The wife stands in the restaurant watching everybody and if a child drops a crumb on the floor inside there she is right at your table with a nasty remark.

There is also Nic's Restaurant and Playground.

It's owned by a german couple and they have birthday packages.

Not really a "picnic", but you don't have to manage anything. Just enjoy your food and let the children play.

Nic's is O.K. but don't you think that the bamboo/rope structure is a little dangerous for 15 X 4 y/o kids to be climbing on? For kids a little older it's a great idea. The owner's are very nice and friendly.

• Like 1

The only thing about Horizon (Suan Taweechol) is that if you go on a weekend, the owners will be there and they are both miserable sods that don't really like children. If they see that many children, the man will follow you everywhere in his golf cart and complain miserably if the kids get any crumbs on the ground, or complain if the kids feed the animals too much, etc. The last couple of times we went there on a weekend, the owners ruined our time there. The wife stands in the restaurant watching everybody and if a child drops a crumb on the floor inside there she is right at your table with a nasty remark.

Sounds lovely like just the kind of family outing one would want, either ignored and left to rot in the hot sun or harassed to death, doesnt sound ideal if you want your little one to make it to 5! sad.png

I think i'll go with the majority and recommend Huay tung tao. Can't really go far wrong there. I love that place. Also why not try that new Ice cream factory, Mr.Froyo. It's actually Frozen yogurt so it's healthier than ice cream and the kids will love the whole self serve buffet idea. Candies, fresh fruits etc. Near Thapea, between Spicey and Mike's Burger's.

Thanks for the tip. This place is crossed out.

re

why not try that new Ice cream factory, Mr.Froyo. It's actually Frozen yogurt so it's healthier than ice cream and the kids will love the whole self serve buffet idea. Candies, fresh fruits etc. Near Thapea, between Spicey and Mike's Burger's.

here ya go smile.png

dave2

post-42592-0-19253600-1377865610_thumb.j

• Like 1

re

why not try that new Ice cream factory, Mr.Froyo. It's actually Frozen yogurt so it's healthier than ice cream and the kids will love the whole self serve buffet idea. Candies, fresh fruits etc. Near Thapea, between Spicey and Mike's Burger's.

here ya go smile.png

dave2

Well i was thinking, we used to do kids parties at Mcdonalds but that seems a bit unhealthy these days. That Froyo place would be great for kids parties. I've been in there twice since they opened, once with Mrs Paangjang and once with a work buddy. We love it.

• Like 1

I'd be worried about the lake with 20 4 year olds. October could well be wet too. Think I'd go for an indoor play park and ice cream/MacDonald's etc - Pomanade is good for indoor play area I have been told.

For the amount of kids I would not rule out Kiddee House as they at least have a wall around the place and a fence around the pool.

They cater or you can provide your own. I agree with the comments on RSVP. You can never know how many Thais will turn up, so pizza is allways a good option. Wait to see how many arrive and the order a few large Dukes pizzas and I have found the Thai kids and parents love them.