'99-'02 model Honda Civic - what's it worth?

A close friend of mine is considering selling his excellent-condition, never wrecked, low mileage Honda Civic. The car, though not a 'Z' model, has a five speed manual, which I strongly prefer. I also find that generation of Civic to be far superior to the subsequent ones.

However, neither he nor I have any clear idea what this car might be worth. I'm sure he'll come up with a figure as (and if) he gets more serious about selling it, so I would like to prepare myself for what to expect and for bargaining. Can any Thai Visa denizens advise me about the value of this car?

I would recommend not buying a car from a friend.

Really?

In Thailand if you don't buy it from a close friend - in other words a car you have observed for years - you'll very likely end up with a car that's been wrecked, rebuilt, or god-knows-what.

But I do understand your point, if it really turned out to be a lemon one could lose the friend. In this case though I've observed him driving the car for years, ridden in it often and even borrowed it rarely, and it is tip-top.

Regarding the 250-300k estimate, that sounds radically high. I was think like 200k (I see Civics newer than this for sale for 250-300, and this is a City, not a Civic). Anybody else care to chime in?

"I was think like 200k". Of course you were.

Jeez man, I was just offered an 8 year old Honda Civic in great shape for 300,000, I don't see why a City 4-5 years older should be the same price.

I sold my Honda City 06 recently for 365K bath, a 7 year old car?

Why don't you check the link I provided, that it what the dealers are asking and they don't "shave" 20-30.000 bath off the price, no way.

Why don't you check the link I provided, that it what the dealers are asking and they don't "shave" 20-30.000 bath off the price, no way.

I'm looking at a '99-'02 model, so, its very old - 11-14 years old. I honestly think it would be quite rare for anyone to get over 250 for one of these. I tried that link, it is in Thai.

I'm looking at a '99-'02 model, so, its very old - 11-14 years old. I honestly think it would be quite rare for anyone to get over 250 for one of these. I tried that link, it is in Thai.

Well my friend you are sadly mistaken.

200k bath will buy you a wreck, cars in Thailand hold their value extremely well.

Here is another link for 1997 Honda Civic's and check the prices. never mind you can't read Thai, the prices are clearly displayed and you can translate with Goggle if you want.

http://www.one2car.com/search/Search_Result.aspx?Brand=B0020&Model=S0169&Year1=1997&Year2=1999&&Year3=1997&Year4=1997

Now we are down to a rough average to app 200k baht, the price drops fast here compared to the +year 2000 models as the chances of getting a wreck is huge .

The old Honda's are very robust, I think I see more old Honda's sedan cars than old Toyota's sedan's but I could be mistaken as I am not really looking hard.

Why don't you offer your friend say 225k bath cash or whatever you think is appropriate?

Go to taladrod.com and find similar cars & prices. All in Thai but easy to browse.

Those prices are more reasonable (on taladrod), as most are private sales. I would say 150-170K for a manual exi model. I don't think the condition can demand much more money; they are just easier to sell. Hondas are pretty robust as long as they have been looked after. 200K is too much I think. I'd be lucky to get 350K for my younger 2.0 civic in great condition:)

Yeah guys I think part of the problem is that most of those who're suggesting the higher price range is correct have misunderstood - this isn't a Civic, this is a City. The little one. Its a very nice car, but it is usually cheaper than the Civic.

Oh it's a City, well okay now I understand why we have the price differencesbiggrin.png

My ex City ZX 06 was an excellent car, did some long trips in it, very comfortable.

Had problems with the AC but all cars will get that, not the cars fault.

OK, it's this one.

attachicon.gifCropperCapture36.jpg

200K seems like a fair price for something that will need lots of fixes. biggrin.png

I sold my 1998 Lxi limited manual transmission over 9 years ago to a tent for 245k....now they are like 150K, only about 10000 baht depreciation per year! Ridiculous!...for 200K it wants to be in bloody great condition with nothing to spend.

I would recommend not buying a car from a friend.

Really?

In Thailand if you don't buy it from a close friend - in other words a car you have observed for years - you'll very likely end up with a car that's been wrecked, rebuilt, or god-knows-what.

But I do understand your point, if it really turned out to be a lemon one could lose the friend. In this case though I've observed him driving the car for years, ridden in it often and even borrowed it rarely, and it is tip-top.

Regarding the 250-300k estimate, that sounds radically high. I was think like 200k (I see Civics newer than this for sale for 250-300, and this is a City, not a Civic). Anybody else care to chime in?

Used case are risky everywhere, I am not convinced they are more risky in Thailand then in general. The guys (and gals) I work with seem to keep up with their equipment pretty good. Couple that with how little service is actually required anymore, how long the service intervals are, and the low cost of service here and I think buying used is easier than ever.

In any friend to friend car deal one party generally ends up unhappy. From an acquaintance? Fine. From a close friend? Not me, I don't have enough of them to chance a falling out to save a few bucks on a generic car.

• Like 1

In any friend to friend car deal one party generally ends up unhappy. From an acquaintance? Fine. From a close friend? Not me, I don't have enough of them to chance a falling out to save a few bucks on a generic car.

My current car is a 30 year old Toyota Corolla that I bought from an old and dear friend (in fact an ex girlfriend). The car's been great and we're still on the best of terms, no issues or problems regarding the car at all. I think she might've been a little annoyed that the one (one time!) the car left me sitting beside the road in five years of ownership, I did call her at about 10:30 pm to ask her to call me a tow truck, but that's it in five years.

Edited by ClareQuilty

Ok, nothing needs fixing. That should avoid any late night phone calls to the ex-girlfriend to arrange a tow truck! biggrin.png

So, when you picking it up?

One breakdown in five years from a 30 year old car I bought for 50,000 baht is excellent reliability, BSJ. My total repair expenses in 5 years of useful service has been about 12,000 baht.

As for the Honda City, I'm sure it would be months before any deal is struck. There's no rush - everything moves slowly up here.

Edited by ClareQuilty

From 1970 on all the little old ladies started trading in their little old greg Morry's for loverly white Corolla's. I think someone told em there was a heater inside!

post-63954-0-93872600-1378293671_thumb.j

They were a lot better looking than the Morry anyway!

post-63954-0-66741100-1378293850_thumb.j

Edited by BSJ