Farm Pond Basics - Need Advice

Manassas

I have had ponds abroad, but always stream fed. Planning to construct a new one here in Thailand in the next dry season and am in new territory. My wife's land is in the dry and level north. There are three old rain-fed ponds now that are in bad shape in an area near the house - roughly 40m x 60m. Our thought is to dig a new single pond and fill in the surrounding areas. My hat is off to all those who manage to make money fish farming, but ours is purely for fun, decoration and to supply fish (cats and tilapia) for the family for as much of the year as possible. The big problem is maintaining some water in the dry season. Is there an alternative to the 'harvest and drain' in the dry season technique and starting over the next year?

Size and depth? I've been reading up a bit and need to decide size, depth and water source. A size of roughly 15 x 20 would give a surface area of 300 sq m which seems to be recommended. What about depth? While 1.5m is recommended for optimal green water maintenance, I would hope to maintain some water and fish in dry season. With chemical treatment can you go to 3m depth in half and maintain 1m water in the dry season?

Water source? My wife also thinks we should connect to the adjacent field canal for inflow as a water source, But that would increase the depth below ground level substantially and make the outflow spillway more complicated. Has anyone done this successfully? I want to tap into the canal with a spillway to manage overflow, but not sure about inflow.

Water quality? I also wonder about the water quality from field runoff. With all the chemicals sprayed on the rice doesn't that build up in the ponds and fish? Has anybody ever tested pond fish for safety? My instinct is to keep the field runoff out with a levee.

I'm out of my experience here. Looking for some basic tips from those with long experience. Many thanks in advance!

not expert, but few thoughts, maybe...

the 15x20 pond wont yield near enough soil to fill up the existing one 40x60.

if you have existing one near the house, maybe better of trying to get that into shape...nearer the house the pond, less a chance of poachers, as you can keep better an eye on it both day and night.

dry season doesnt mean that there is zero rain, and in general, a 2-3 m deep pond not necesserily destined to dry off, even if no additional water. however, you mentioned a farm canal, that might help to top it up sometimes. if you have a well, that can do the topping up too some ( from city water i think it would be too expensive to do such), and finally, if near/next to house, then the rainwater also can be channeled there too.

i wouldnt want field run off water in my pond, especially if i know there is lots of chemical used there...but if you dont eat your fish, only for the family...hmm, whatever, it might be beneficial then ;)

as you plan it for fun/family, there is no need to ever fully drain and harvest. you can just hook as much as you/family can, you can use a smaller size pull up net, about a 2x2 m size what you can quite easily use from the shore is just about 300-400thb cost ( bamboo for frame, and the actual net). you can also have the lake partially drained, or partially drained by the dry season, and then let the family use throw nets, especially work for tilapia, catfish seem to evade it in the mud.

having one side of the pond a deep(er) pocket helps a lot to get the fish if you go for full drain, so, definately include that.

• Like 1

Lot's of questions in your OPand I hope others will respond.

You don't need to drain the pond to harvest the fish.

I haven't uploaded yet a full size fish harvest, but the one below was the transfer of PlaNin about the size of your wife's palm from a small holding pond (about the size of the one you mention) into a larger 6 Rai pond.

When I upload the other, I'll show it here.

The workers were fed and watered and got 250 - 300 Baht each for the mornings work.

• Like 1

Lot's of questions in your OPand I hope others will respond.

You don't need to drain the pond to harvest the fish.

I haven't uploaded yet a full size fish harvest, but the one below was the transfer of PlaNin about the size of your wife's palm from a small holding pond (about the size of the one you mention) into a larger 6 Rai pond.

When I upload the other, I'll show it here.

The workers were fed and watered and got 250 - 300 Baht each for the mornings work.

How many fry did they have in that pond David?

How many fry did they have in that pond David?

Mate, they did this 3 times

... with diminishing catches each time ... this was haul #2 ... so average of the three nettings.

So, about the number of fry transferred ... I have no idea ... but will ask the Farm Father next time I see him.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

David how or what you use to stabilizing while you shoot this video...It's so steady, no shake...blink.png

Abstinence from consuming Lao Khao might help.cheesy.gif

Now OD ... behave!

RBH ... mate, no idea really.

It's a cheap party camera, cost me $160, never any post editing apart from the plane images I do on extreme zoom.

Some tips.

Keep your elbows close into your body.

When walking, a slow steady gate (pace of walking).

Stable stance.

I just went back and watched that again and realised that there is something I subconsciously do.

When I walk (apart from making sure I don't trip over something) is that I try and stay focused on one object while change the shooting angle. When I started the first walk I kept the Farm Father (the guy standing on the wooden pier) in the frame.

When I moved the second time because I was getting in the way, I maintained the guy in the green cap in the frame. Did have a quick glance down to show the mud though.

When the basket of fish came up, I was too slow the first time to capture the action in it's entire movement so I realised that the motion is repeated so, waited to capture that the second time while trying to not get the full sun in the lens.

Then continue the story as the basket is passed up chain.

When I walk, but keep the pan on the subject.

I've watched a few of yours (I subscribe to your channel) and two things that you do which gives the appearance of jerkiness is that you walk and pan in the other direction. If you keep the focus on the subject you can change the camera angle, change your horizon lines and then more to the new subject.

The other thing that you do is that you 'chase the subject' instead of anticipating the movement of the subject. Then the fish are being pulled from the pond ... it's a repetition, so know the start point, know the end point and position yourself according to capture that.

Always nice slow pans ...

When you pan, twist from the waist, don't change your feet stance ... I learnt that when I was doing the plane spotting.

I hope that wasn't to hard a critique ?

Heck, I'm no expert, I took my first video on the Farm and just an amateur, never done any research ... just do what comes naturally. this is the first time I've ever thought what I do. Maybe it will improve me.

OH ... you can do faster pans ... but keep the horizon line steady ... quite proud of these two simple clips

Glad I didn't drop that camera ... it belongs to MissFarmGirl !

That's her Mum driving the boat.

• Like 1