Arriving late night at DMK

patrick88

Hello everyone!

Please help me with this issue. I am arriving at DMK at around 3 AM. And my partner is arriving at 1 AM. Can she wait for me at the transit area (we are both travelling by Air Asia)?

And how do we make use of public transportation to go to Punnawithi BTS? We have just 1 cabin bag each. I see from other posts that there is a shuttle to Mo Chit BTS but much later.

And finally, I was wondering if someone can tell us how to exactly use the Bangkok Buses? Would the bus driver know english? And can we pay by card or is it cash? Is there any token system, etc?

Thank you so much for your patience!

At that hour, I would just book into the hotel opposite the airport - I'm told its aging but reasonable accommodation. I wouldnt want my girlfriend hanging around an airport at ~2am, and nothing really gets going in BKK till 10am the next day. I've climbed out of a cab on Suk Soi 22 at 6am and wondered where the hell everyone was - easy to forget that the city has a very different set of priorities at that hour. Not sure what the aircraft noise is like inside a hotel that close to the airport, but I havent read any complaints - take earplugs just in case.

http://www.amari.com/donmuang/

Having wandered all over Changi Airport trying to find my Thai GF, I envy you this : DM is a much smaller airport ;)

1. NO you are not allowed to wait In the area-in fact there is NO transit at all possible at DMK. But as in any major airport-there is a meeting point just out. And there are mobile fones now.

2. there is hardly ANY bus now nighttime. PLUS that In BKK-buses the driver does not matter-s/he is only for driving. The conductor/tress, selling tickets for cash baht only, is the one for info. She will approach some other pax to see if someone will speekee the angkrit-after all staff also use buses to go back home-and generally airport staff speekee the eengrees a little. But this only for specific questions. What the tickets cost is clearly printed on them-so no need for any speaking. Ever used brains?

3.the normal daytime buses start running from about 4.00/4.30 at the start= Rangsit, about 15-20 mins north of DMK. The BTS starts at 6.00 sharp.

go to bangkoktransit for info-THIS airport-part of that side is updated now-not many other parts re buses In BKK.

At that hour, I would just book into the hotel opposite the airport - I'm told its aging but reasonable accommodation. I wouldnt want my girlfriend hanging around an airport at ~2am, and nothing really gets going in BKK till 10am the next day. I've climbed out of a cab on Suk Soi 22 at 6am and wondered where the hell everyone was - easy to forget that the city has a very different set of priorities at that hour. Not sure what the aircraft noise is like inside a hotel that close to the airport, but I havent read any complaints - take earplugs just in case.

Having wandered all over Changi Airport trying to find my Thai GF, I envy you this : DM is a much smaller airport ;)

Yup book into Amari don Muang is the way to go at that hour. I did that last month. Check in at 12:30am. The hotel is very well maintained only the design is old. No whatever noise from airport. There is 2 layer of glass window before reaching your room door.

It depends what your budget is, but why not just take a taxi? I wouldn't hang around waiting for the buses to start at that time in the morning (and you'll have to change anyway). There should be taxis waiting, so you can grab one as soon as you're ready and it'll be direct to where you want to go. The roads will be clear at that time of night, so it'll probably won't take more than about half an hour to Punnawithi. Maybe 350/400 baht including toll way and 50 baht airport surcharge.

There's a taxi stand right outside the terminal doors (look to your left) - tell the woman sitting there your destination (they deal with hundreds of tourists with varying accents and fluency of English every day, so they are pretty good at working out where you want to go) - she will write it on a bit of paper and call the next taxi driver in line. He takes half of the paper, you keep the other half as your receipt which also has details of the taxi driver/destination/fare structure (fare from the airport is whatever it says on the meter (which starts at 35 baht) plus any tolls plus an extra 50 baht for starting from the airport)/complaints procedure if you should need it.

Having wandered all over Changi Airport trying to find my Thai GF, I envy you this : DM is a much smaller airport wink.png

Yup book into Amari don Muang is the way to go at that hour. I did that last month. Check in at 12:30am. The hotel is very well maintained only the design is old. No whatever noise from airport. There is 2 layer of glass window before reaching your room door.

Thanks for that - valuable info for future reference, particularly the situation with aircraft noise.

all these ppl pushing their barrow and not answering the questions.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Don+Mueang+Int'l+Airport+Don+Mueang+Thailand&daddr=Punnawithi+BTS&hl=en&sll=13.807409,100.570221&sspn=0.264054,0.414734&geocode=FZhM1AAdLBX_BSGg_ws9swABDyktpqwdiILiMDGg_ws9swABDw%3BFcje0AAdzSv_BSHWT4aLORIUjSk1POjS-Z_iMDHWT4aLORIUjQ&oq=don+maung+&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=09%2F15%2F13&time=03:56am&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ls&t=m&z=11&start=0

just hand over twenty baht and she'll give you correct change.

hmm link is breaking try copy and paste this whole bit https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Don+Mueang+Int'l+Airport+Don+Mueang+Thailand&daddr=Punnawithi+BTS&hl=en&sll=13.807409,100.570221&sspn=0.264054,0.414734&geocode=FZhM1AAdLBX_BSGg_ws9swABDyktpqwdiILiMDGg_ws9swABDw%3BFcje0AAdzSv_BSHWT4aLORIUjSk1POjS-Z_iMDHWT4aLORIUjQ&oq=don+maung+&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=09%2F15%2F13&time=03:56am&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ls&t=m&z=11&start=0

or select the bus image and fill in you destination if it still fails to link.

you need to walk down to the bus stop out side the airport on the main road. catch the bus on the same side of the road that the airport is on. ie dont cross the main road. then you will be going in the right direction.

Edited by Tony Rabbott

all these ppl pushing their barrow and not answering the questions.

To be fair, I think people are just trying to be helpful. The OP may not find it easy to get from DMK to Punnawithi by bus at 3 in the morning. I agree with you that payment is simple, though.

If it is definitely going to be the bus, the 513 is direct. It's should leave the depot around 4.30am, so will get to the airport about 20 mins later and then take a couple of hours to get to Punnawithi.

There are also a couple of 24 hour buses which will take you Mo Chit, but you'll need to wait for the BTS to open to continue the journey.

The easiest place to check bus routes is probably http://www.transitbangkok.com/bangkok_buses.html